What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

To me an interesting wrinkle is trading Jae for Mirotic. We all talk about Mirotic replacing Favors, but maybe he replaces Jae.

Crowder is an expiring contract next year so he gives New Orleans another trade piece or can be a part of their quick rebuild with the pieces from the Davis trade.

Crowder and one of thabo/Niang/bradley for Mirotic works.

Jae makes more sense in a Porter trade to me... they'd want a good vet cost controlled piece to add to the rotation. NO I think would want to get younger. It is an interesting thought... could also be flipped to a third team for value.

I don't think we move him though... of all the good vet, locker room influence guys I think he fits the best on the floor and with his salary.

Marc Stein on the Jazz pursuing Mike Conley: “Utah would love to make this happen. (…) The chatter to this point has really been about Conley landing in Utah. If there’s a leader in that race I would have to say it’s the Jazz.”

If we get Conley, I hope we can get Jabari if he is bought out. I would pay much more than the league minimum to give him a 1 or 2 year deal. If we are gambling on Conley, I would on Jabari too.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Here's one that is not being discussed a lot... lets assume we strike out on Conley/Jrue/etc:

Would you do a straight up Rubio for Dragic swap? Dragic is supposed to get back from injury around ASB. MIA might want to lower their luxury tax bill and drop off salary in order to get out of the luxury tax for next year. Rubio still allows them to compete for playoffs in the meantime. Dragic IMO fits better with this team offensively than Ricky and you get him for next year too(most likely he will pick his option).

Dude might be washed. I get what you are saying though. If he was on the court I'd consider it... need to see him healthy... not looking like that will happen.

I predict no trades are made. Normally the front office is double top secret on the subject with no leaks and they have been leaking like a sieve lately.

Here’s a question:

How many guys are fairly reasonably obtainable that immediately step in and are our second leading scorer?

1. Conley, yes but attainability is the question.
2. Porter maybe but attainability is also question.
3. Jabari very possible and easily attainable.
4. Niko yes on both.

I think when you look at what our struggling offense costs us when we get in these funks, that you've really got to be taking a strong look at guys like Niko or Jabari if you're missing on someone like Conley.

Marc Stein on the Jazz pursuing Mike Conley: “Utah would love to make this happen. (…) The chatter to this point has really been about Conley landing in Utah. If there’s a leader in that race I would have to say it’s the Jazz.”

If we get Conley, I hope we can get Jabari if he is bought out. I would pay much more than the league minimum to give him a 1 or 2 year deal. If we are gambling on Conley, I would on Jabari too.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I've been team DM is a pg... if it is expirings and a first for Conley I am talking myself into it being awesome. I'd say we are the favorites... Detroit would have to send some awful salary and both teams would need to offload a little salary to stay below the tax.

Conley really isn't a gamble... He's a fantastic player. Sure, you can ask if he is worth the asking price, but I wouldn't call him a gamble. In some ways he's the opposite; about as solid as they come, as a player and as a teammate (from everything I've heard).

Here’s a question:

How many guys are fairly reasonably obtainable that immediately step in and are our second leading scorer?

4. Niko yes on both.

I think when you look at what our struggling offense costs us when we get in these funks, that you've really got to be taking a strong look at guys like Niko or Jabari if you're missing on someone like Conley.

Problem with Niko is his trade value is worth a little more than a second, but i think a first is an overpay. So Philly may overpay and give up the first (or they have Chicago's second) and beat an offer of expirings and seconds.

If we didn't need our 1st for a Conley deal I wonder if we'd do a 1st and expirings for Niko and their second. Their second will be top 40 so its okayish.

It sounds like DL ain't with this draft... so I can see our pick going out in a deal.

Conley really isn't a gamble... He's a fantastic player. Sure, you can ask if he is worth the asking price, but I wouldn't call him a gamble. In some ways he's the opposite; about as solid as they come, as a player and as a teammate (from everything I've heard).

He's had some worrying Achilles problems and has a big contract. He's right at that age when smaller players decline.

I agree that if healthy it's not a big gamble... especially given the acquisition price is not super high.

The advanced on/off stats love him... so it gives me hope there is even more there than the raw numbers tell us.

Here’s a question:

4. Niko yes on both.

Watch DL pull off 1 & 3/4
Gobert
Niko/Parker
Ingles
Mitchell
Conley

Three firsts, Rubio, Favors, Bradley, Allen, for Holiday and Niko.

If we go for Conley then we have to get Niko.

I’m honestly down for Jabari on the buyout market.

Chicago loves to save money... if they can't move him I wonder if we can get involved in his buyout negotiations... so he gives a couple million back because we can sign him using our MLE... we get a second year option for the extra dough we put up. If we use up our space in a Conley deal I'd love this route.

I think a Conley deal happens in the next 24 hours... prior to their game tomorrow.

Here’s a question:

4. Niko yes on both.

I think Kevin Love is probably on this list.

Harrison Barnes is another dude I'd watch... no idea if Dallas wants that option next year or if he will opt out... If they moved Barnes they could have meaningful cap space next year.

What about something along these lines:
http://tradenba.com/trades/ByesvxU4V

I'm making the assumption that this is a precursor to New Orleans making a deal with LA, or another suitor for AD, meaning dumping Hill has some value to them. It's not a first for Mirotic, but they get a good player with a flexible contract in Favors, and get off Hill's contract. I think that's about the best value Mirotic will pull right now.

Memphis gets their two firsts, which it seems is their main priority in dealing Conley. Most of the incoming salary is expiring.

Utah has seemed hesitant to give up more than a single first for Conley, but I guess I'm kind of imagining this as them considering it 1.5 first rounders for Conley, .5 of a first for Mirotic.

I'm on record as not actually being too into Mirotic -- and I still think he's super overrated around here -- but I could see this as a feasible approach to bringing in Conley and some additional firepower to recoup losses in outgoing value.

I feel like NOLA gets too good of a deal here. They get off of Hill's contract and they get a good player for Mirotic. Talk NOLA into sending draft compensation or young players Memphis way instead of Utah sending a second first and I'm in.