What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

What Andy and Tony are saying leads me to believe... The trade is Ricky and expirings but not Favs. So if that is the case I'm not sure how we get to the matching salary... Ricky/Thabo/Udoh/Neto gets to the right number (trade machine is off though).

Some have said Dante isn't in the deal too... but salary matching makes it so much easier if he is. So maybe Dante is in the deal... IDK but thought that Favs being specifically mentioned in Andy's last article was strange. Mentioned "they have a hard time getting to Conley's salary matching number as it is" so maybe they are patching a bunch of contracts together.
Please be Dante and Rubio

I also wonder if it’s so tough a decision for the Pistons, if they consult Conley and/or his agent and ask him where he prefers to go. I feel like teams often do that with vets who’ve meant so much to their franchise.

From what I can tell, not only is Detroit’s pick better (theoretically) but their other throw in players like Kennard and Johnson are too. Rubio is better than Jackson which hurts Memphis’s tank. Really the only advantage Utah has is expiring contracts.

I don’t see Utah including Exum. I am to the point where I’d throw in O’neale and/or Niang, and of course anyone less valuable like Bradley and Allen.

I also wonder if it’s so tough a decision for the Pistons, if they consult Conley and/or his agent and ask him where he prefers to go. I feel like teams often do that with vets who’ve meant so much to their franchise.

I've had a thought that Memphis should actually do Conley a solid if offers were similar... let him pick where he wants to go. Would be a bad look to send him somewhere he hates for an extra second round pick imo.

I think for Conley that’s definitely playing a role. It would be dumb for Memphis not to do that.

Oh baby! Let’s go Conley! Love that dude.

Lindsey better throw in 2-4 2nds he won’t end up using anyway.

What about @infection 's lover Niko?. If we end up adding Conley, the 2nds could be used to acquire Mirotic and retain him after the season if everything works out. With our depleted cap space, bird rights become reeeeeally important for adding/keeping pieces.

I've had a thought that Memphis should actually do Conley a solid if offers were similar... let him pick where he wants to go. Would be a bad look to send him somewhere he hates for an extra second round pick imo.

Agreed. And I’d have to think Conley would prefer Utah. Mitchell, Gobert, Ingles, a top five coach. Second round appearances two years in a row.

From what I can tell, not only is Detroit’s pick better (theoretically) but their other throw in players like Kennard and Johnson are too. Rubio is better than Jackson which hurts Memphis’s tank. Really the only advantage Utah has is expiring contracts.

I don’t see Utah including Exum. I am to the point where I’d throw in O’neale and/or Niang, and of course anyone less valuable like Bradley and Allen.

You were on the fence about Niang?

Its ironic that you would say that because I just looked it up. I know what it means.
Then you would know that me saying that is absolutely NOT ironic.

I was thinking this as well. If both offers are equally attractive, let him choose where to play. If I were Conley, Utah is a much more interesting situation: higher ceiling, Gobert/DM, top 3 coach, etc. And we actually function as an organization. Plus, SLC is nice (never been to Detroit though...)

Gotta remember though... Detroit is like $400k from the tax and Memphis is like less than $300k from the tax... so they need to match almost exactly or one of those teams loses like 7-8M and hamstrings future years to be in the tax.

So to match it's Jackson, Leuer ($10M in crap salary next year), Kennard... or Jackson, Galloway (7M next year but he's okay), Kennard, Ellenson (detroit would then have some work to do to avoid the tax)... some other combos include Jack/Ish/Kennard/Robinson ... but Ish has been important for Detroit the last couple years....

We have some flexibility to save Memphis some money that Detroit can't by themselves... they could flip Stanley Johnson to a third team for a second and make up the gap, but Detroit is a shallow team... a 3 for 1 deal would be tough... Would throw them in the tax too when you figure they'd need to find guys for the spot. It is likely they are trying to include RJ and Leuer... which is $28M in bad money.

One other thing in our favor:

Memphis is currently about $3m over the luxury tax. So that’s $6m this year plus lost revenue from revenue sharing. They’re not in danger of it next year and haven’t paid it recently.

So the debate could be is if kennard/Detroit’s pick is worth $8-10m. In that scenario Ricky is definitely the better option for Memphis.

Kinda? He shows flashes and Lindsay likes him. TBH I hadn’t even really been thinking about him and O’neale as assets
Royce fits like a glove Memphis' meat grinder brand of basketball. And his contract is a bargain. A good piece to add in a trade if it comes to that (I would rather keep him though).

One other thing in our favor:

Memphis is currently about $3m over the luxury tax. So that’s $6m this year plus lost revenue from revenue sharing. They’re not in danger of it next year and haven’t paid it recently.

So the debate could be is if kennard/Detroit’s pick is worth $8-10m. In that scenario Ricky is definitely the better option for Memphis.

They are just below the tax... just barely.

If we get Conley, gotta move for Niko. I’m sure multiple teams would offer up second rounders but I’m not sure how we could land him. Give two seconds and Bradley.