What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

The fact that Ricky is a FA this year and could leave to take more money than the Jazz want to pay means the Jazz could be stuck without a good PG. They're motivated to make this deal not only to improve the team, but ensure we have a quality PG for the next two seasons.

In other words, there's a scenario where they're in a real pinch if they don't make a deal for Conley.

I would be perfectly fine with DM at the point. No worries there. If jazz don’t get Conley I won’t be upset. High risk/high reward with shackles until DMs rookie contract is up included. Is the Conley move intended to get us a ship in the next two years? If so great! If not then I feel like we should make more calculated moves to create a contender. We haven’t had talent like Mitchell and gobert in a long time and they are still young. Why make an impulse decision?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

What if Niko does not get an offer higher than MLE this year? What is his current market? Unless he plays really well last 30 games I'm not sure he gets the 15-20M we think he might get. Hard to see the team that would definitely offer that amount right now. MLE starts around 9M next year... 4/40 seems low for him but that is the type of deal I'd obvi want to get him on... anyone going 4/60? 4/50?

Say he gets traded to Philly and doesn't fit in or he is in and out of the lineup with injuries... I don't think it's crazy.
If Utah trades for Conley, can they get under the cap more than $9m? I thought close to $30m was about the max they could get by renouncing everyone, at which point they'd only have space up to the cap and then the room exception.

Teams are actually hurt in a way by dropping below the cap. Its really bizarre, IMO.

c167ae12ec3645f9c41918095f43a698--healthy-food-recipes-wine-recipes.jpg

He's pretty small, basically like Chris Paul or Kemba sized. Definitely a more confident offensive player than Ricky, and if he has good targets to pass to he could become better in a system.

I think Minnesota might take him back. Teague has really slipped. Kokoskov might like him in Phoenix. Orlando needs a PG to give that team a direction. Teams that want him may offer more than the Jazz want to pay. It's a legit risk.

Minny is capped out, Phoenix might offer him some money (but that team sucks), Orlando needs a pg, but they have shooting problems... plus they don't have space.

Also, Phoenix doesn't have meaningful space until they clear Warren or Jackson.

Chicago may overpay for a couple years of Ricky... but I don't see him getting something crazy. His market will be pretty tepid. I think he may end up on a one year overpay or one year make good MLE type offer.

If Utah trades for Conley, can they get under the cap more than $9m? I thought close to $30m was about the max they could get by renouncing everyone, at which point they'd only have space up to the cap and then the room exception.

Teams are actually hurt in a way by dropping below the cap. Its really bizarre, IMO.

Exactly... they'd have the mid-level exception (MLE) of $9M to offer.

A bit concerned? I'd be extremely concerned. If we lose Favors they need a PF/C coming back. I've never been sold on Nico, but does he play C? Can he play C on defense for the Jazz? The Jazz funnel players at the C position.
Maybe concern this season if Jazz dont get anyone off waivers. But next year theyd have the MLE. As a few have noted, Utah is one of the few remaining refuges for old-school 5's. Utah should be able to pick up someone cheap.

How bummed will you be if we pass on him again ??
I won’t unless we come to the end of the summer and have nothing, or are handcuffed from signing anyone because we’re over the cap and neglected to get his bird rights.

Basically, we could end up really regretting not grabbing him. I know that sounds all funny right now, but you’ve gotta be realistic.

He's pretty small, basically like Chris Paul or Kemba sized. Definitely a more confident offensive player than Ricky, and if he has good targets to pass to he could become better in a system.
He is a bit bigger than CP3 and Kemba, with a longer wingspan than both. But yeah, he is not a big/switchy guard. He plays bigger than his size though

I won’t unless we come to the end of the summer and have nothing, or are handcuffed from signing anyone because we’re over the cap and neglected to get his bird rights.

Basically, we could end up really regretting not grabbing him. I know that sounds all funny right now, but you’ve gotta be realistic.

Be honest, you would be like...:D

tenor.gif

The deal for Conley has to involve either Rubio and Favors or Rubio and Exum. Otherwise the numbers don't work. Unless a third team is involved.

If we did Rubio and Exum for Conley, how much cap space would we have this summer should we renounce/opt out of anyone of whom we’re able?

Here's your breakdown of that:

I'm assuming the Jazz trade their first round pick, so there is no cap hold for that.

Roster of Gobert, Ingles, Exum, Crowder, Mitchell, Allen, Bradley is $63,883,666 (includes 3.4 million for waiving Kyle Korver)
Roster of the guys listed above plus Neto, Niang, Korver, and O'Neale is $73,169,903 (unguaranteeds)
Cap holds for Thabo, Ricky, and Udoh are $33,282,000
Favors has a team option at $16,900,000

So if you added Conley's $32,511,623 and subtracted Exum's $9,600,000, you'd have a net addition of $22,911,623 to those numbers.

2019/2020 Cap is supposed to be at $109,000,000
Jazz's cap number would be at $86,795,289 with the unguaranteed guys all waived, or at $96,081,526 with the guys they'd probably keep.

So you'd be looking at somewhere between $12-23 Million in cap space. If they were able to trade Korver/Crowder and not take back salary they could open up a max space.

There's always a chance my math is wrong, but I think that's a fairly accurate calculation.

Conley A:T of 6.7/2.0 per 36
Rubio A:T of 7.6/3.7 per 36.

Conley commits 1.8 pf per 36.
Rubio commits 3.4 pf per 36.

Conley has 0.4 blocks per 36.
Rubio has 0.2 blocks per 36.

Conley shoots 5.4 FT per 36 @ 84.7%
Rubio shoots 3.8 FT per 36 @ 85.2%

Conley is 48.2% on 2’s/35.9% on 3’s
Rubio is 44.9% on 2’s/32.5% on 3’s

Conley is at 3.7 reb per 36.
Rubio is at 3.5 rev per 36.

Conley has a 55.9% TS%
Rubio has a 51.8 TS%

Conley has a 5.9% TRB%
Rubio has a 6.6% TRB%

Conley has a 33.2% ***%
Rubio has a 32.1% ***%

Conley has a 2.1% ST%
Rubio has a 2.2 ST%

Conley has 5.6 WS
Rubio has 1.9 WS

Conley would be a BIG, BIG individual upgrade over Rubio and also make those around him better due to his ability to better stretch the floor and lead.

I really hope this gets done.

No, it could involve some other combination of Jazz players.

What combination? We aren't trading Rudy. We aren't trading DM. Pretty sure we aren't trading Ingles, Korver or Jae. The biggest salaries left not counting Favors and Exum are Rubio, Thabo, Udoh, Bradley and Allen. All 5 of those combined don't make enough to match Conley's salary. Trade doesn't work.