What's new

2020 Free Agency Thread

Players actually take substantially less to play there. Getting Gasol and Morris for minimum contracts is ridiculous.
Agree. I think Karl Malone and Gary Payton Sr played that year there for relative chump change. It is almost patently unfair to the rest of the league.

Agree. I think Karl Malone and Gary Payton Sr played that year there for relative chump change. It is almost patently unfair to the rest of the league.
I agree.

I think resume should come into account with "minimum" amount. If a player is a former all star, their minimum should be at least a few hundred thousand more than somebody like NWG.

I agree.

I think resume should come into account with "minimum" amount. If a player is a former all star, their minimum should be at least a few hundred thousand more than somebody like NWG.
So someone like Mike Conley could be heading to the Lakers next year on NWG money

Thanks for posting. Just adding the most relevant part for others to read:

"Six équipes nous ont contactés et ont montré un intérêt pour Nico : les Nets, Warriors, Jazz, Clippers, Bucks et les Raptors. On devrait être fixé sur son sort très prochainement."

Everyone here overreacting by the lack of moves but it seems there is still one more vet signing to complete the roster, if not more.

PG: Conley (28) Mitchell (10) Ingles (10)
SG: Mitchell (24) Clarkson (24)
SF: Royce (20) Ingles (14) Batum (6) Bogey (8)
PF: Bogey (20) Favors (10) Batum (8) Royce (10)
C: Gobert (32) Favors (10) Dok (6)

Total:

If the Jazz added Batum they could look at a rotation somewhat like this. He's at risk of being trash though, but the Jazz could let Oni/Hughes fill out the minutes if Batum doesnt pan out.

Last edited:
There may be some movement down at the bottom of the roster. Brantley is still unsigned and is apparently not happy about being slated for a two way slot again. He really does not have a lot of options right now. But if the Jazz were to cave to him, that would mean one or more of the Stars guys would be leaving ie NWG, Tucker, Morgan, or Oni.

Here is how i am looking at Free agency for the Jazz

Roster right now with Guaranteed contracts (as I see it)

PG - Conley,
SG - Mitchell, O'Neale
SF - Bogey, Ingles
PF -
C - Gobert, Azubuike

Non guaranteed if I am correct

PG - NWG
SG - Tucker
SF - Oni, Hughes
PF - Niang
C - Morgan

I understand the Bogey can play the 4 and O'neale played some also

I see the biggest glaring holes at PF and PG. The defense is also a key element

PG - I think overpaying for Jevon Carter is the best option for a backup PG . I am talking about the full BAE. This might not be enough because he is restricted maybe half the MLE but he is exactly what the Jazz need and I think he would be a full-time PG in the right situation.
If this doesn't work I would Go after Harrison, Jackson, Neto, and then Dunn (I hate his 3pt%)

Get rid of NWG and watch for players waived by teams.

PF - is a conundrum to me. there are so many directions. I would love to get Millsap back as a backup but closer to the vet min because he is injured a lot. Portis is nice with the Nasty but not a great defender. JyMichael green makes a lot of sense if he can be had for the right price. Christian Wood would be a pipe dream but the Jazz don't have the assets or the money to offer him and I do not think the MLE is enough.

SF - I do not think the MLe is enough for Jerami Grant but I could move Bogey to 4 and start him at the 3. A dark horse back up that I wonder if the Jazz could fix or develop is Josh Jackson.
Don't forget we have essentially no defense on the wing or at the perimeter.......still.

I’ve always liked Rondae Hollis Jefferson. Seems like he’d be a good energy/enforcer guy. Perhaps one of the few guys with the kind of body you can throw at LeBron for a few minutes.

I really think taking a flier on Batum would be a smart gamble. He might be washed but he might just have the Charlotte flu... he didn’t pick up a big injury. They basically told him they were going young last year. I’d probably check out too. I think he could help Rudy... not sure how close they are but I assume the national team ties are strong.

It just didn’t make sense that Batum disappeared... maybe he doesn’t keep himself in shape. I think there was also a divorce so maybe he just wasn’t in it... doubt we are #1 on his list but I’ll bet we get strong consideration.

SF: Royce (20) Ingles (14) Batum (14)

Total:

If the Jazz added Batum they could look at a rotation somewhat like this. He's at risk of being trash though, but the Jazz could let Oni/Hughes fill out the minutes if Batum doesnt pan out.
I like it. I'd add the little critter from FSU as having a real shot of lurking as a 3rd (real) PG, our SYR SG and Oni as having a shot.

SF: Royce (20) Ingles (14) Batum (14)

Total:

And Bogey isn’t only playing 20 minutes, nor is Doke in the rotation.

But yes, there is definitely a role and some minutes for someone like Batum if he can still play.

I really think taking a flier on Batum would be a smart gamble. He might be washed but he might just have the Charlotte flu... he didn’t pick up a big injury. They basically told him they were going young last year. I’d probably check out too. I think he could help Rudy... not sure how close they are but I assume the national team ties are strong.

It just didn’t make sense that Batum disappeared... maybe he doesn’t keep himself in shape. I think there was also a divorce so maybe he just wasn’t in it... doubt we are #1 on his list but I’ll bet we get strong consideration.
Batum also strikes me as someone that cares more about being comfortable in his situation and with his teammates, and less about spotlight and major market.

Bear in mind, this guy tried to force himself out of Portland to play for Minnesota and ended up playing great for Charlotte for a season or two. We just need a season or two.

Did some math... we could do the BAE still if we wanted... with a minimum guy and Hughes filling out the roster we are about 3M over the tax and 3M under the hard cap. For the Trade Mike Crowd... if we did trade him and took 3-4 M less in salary I think we save 10Mish. Something to watch if he starts slow.

And Bogey isn’t only playing 20 minutes, nor is Doke in the rotation.

But yes, there is definitely a role and some minutes for someone like Batum if he can still play.
He forgot Bogey in his last depth chart, so we’re moving in the right direction.