What's new

2020 Free Agency Thread

So according to sportstrac the guarnatee date on NWG is 2/27/2021.

I think they are like 300k away from getting under the LT? So they just keep NWG on for now, and cut him mid-season then rotate a bunch of 10-day contracts for the rest of the season?

I think they are like 300k away from getting under the LT? So they just keep NWG on for now, and cut him mid-season then rotate a bunch of 10-day contracts for the rest of the season?
This would make the most sense of what I've seen so far. None of this makes sense unless the Jazz believe they have a way to stay under the luxury tax this year.

Assuming you're right, this explains why the Jazz let go of Tucker rather than NWG (because the former was partially guaranteed, and the latter isn't). It may also help make sense of the NWG signing in the first place. Though NWG isn't the likeliest player to get playing time, he may have been willing to sign a very team-friendly deal, one that allows the Jazz to cut bait when needed. Oni was on the same contract, I think, but it appears Oni has earned his keep and will be retained. NWG probably remains as a depth piece for half a year, or as a salary piece in a trade, if needed.

EDIT: And then, assuming NWG is cut half way through the year, the 6'-5" Forrest (with fairly strong defense and positional flexibility on D) becomes our PG depth piece, given the expanded role two-way players can play this year. Makes a lot of sense, if it turns out this way.

Last edited:
Assuming you're right, this explains why the Jazz let go of Tucker rather than NWG (because the former was partially guaranteed, and the latter isn't). It may also help make sense of the NWG signing in the first place. Though NWG isn't the likeliest player to get playing time, he may have been willing to sign a very team-friendly deal, one that allows the Jazz to cut bait when needed. Oni was on the same contract, I think, but it appears Oni has earned his keep and will be retained. NWG probably remains as a depth piece for half a year, or as a salary piece in a trade, if needed.

EDIT: And then, assuming NWG is cut half way through the year, the 6'-5" Forrest (with fairly strong defense and positional flexibility on D) becomes our PG depth piece, given the expanded role two-way players can play this year. Makes a lot of sense, if it turns out this way.
If NWG's guarantee date is February then he is going to be partially guaranteed. You can't play NBA games for free.

Although I think this has been mentioned elsewhere, the new 2-way/G-League rules may have the Jazz playing their depth chart differently this year
  • $450,000 salary that doesn't count against the cap
  • players can be eligible for 50 of the 72 games
So though Brantley is surely disappointed that he's on a 2-way again, the capacity for him to be much more involved in the Jazz's plans (along with Forrest) surely exists. The Jazz may just decide to use the 2-way players as their 14th and 15th roster spots essentially.

Although I think this has been mentioned elsewhere, the new 2-way/G-League rules may have the Jazz playing their depth chart differently this year
  • $450,000 salary that doesn't count against the cap
  • players can be eligible for 50 of the 72 games
So though Brantley is surely disappointed that he's on a 2-way again, the capacity for him to be much more involved in the Jazz's plans (along with Forrest) surely exists. The Jazz may just decide to use the 2-way players as their 14th and 15th roster spots essentially.
Thanks for posting this. Making more sense now.

Last edited:
Something is afoot...unless that pick is top 55 protected they are trying to get under the tax, not clear a roster spot.

i know that drafting a center and then bringing back Favors seems to make no sense but think about Favors has had some injuries in the past and with the corona virus a team has to have extra depth on the roster. Lastly, perhaps they are looking to reduce Rudy's minutes. Something to think about.

i know that drafting a center and then bringing back Favors seems to make no sense but think about Favors has had some injuries in the past and with the corona virus a team has to have extra depth on the roster. Lastly, perhaps they are looking to reduce Rudy's minutes. Something to think about.
If we’re so worried about a backup’s chronic injuries, maybe it’s not the best use of the full ****ing MLE?

If we’re so worried about a backup’s chronic injuries, maybe it’s not the best use of the full ****ing MLE?

This is a novel concept, but maybe we should focus on acquiring players that can play WITH the two franchise cornerstones. The emphasis on their backups is idiotic, especially for a playoff team that's trying to maximize their ceiling. So much capital spent on a "PG" to play with Donovan when it's clear that he's the future primary ball handler and backups for Rudy who he can't share the court with.

I don't mind having a good backup C or PG of course....but they are luxury additions. What's essential are players who can play well with Rudy+Mitchell.

Jazz mentioned here. Between GR3 and Batum interest, looks like the Jazz are going to try to fill the last spot with a real player.

Nah... we gonna roll with 13... be under the tax... say we want the two way guys to play because there is no g league season. I wouldn’t sign these guys if it means being over the tax.

Nah... we gonna roll with 13... be under the tax... say we want the two way guys to play because there is no g league season. I wouldn’t sign these guys if it means being over the tax.
Just an FYI... the next 7 years we are -4 in second round picks. Not the end of the worl but when we want to trade for a vet on an expiring we aren’t going to have the capital to do it. Also if we want to dump a contract we gonna be strapped. If they plan on buying them every draft night great... but using one to dump like 300-400k of guaranteed salary is kinda silly... we got some cash in the deal so that’s great... for Ryan. We should just ****ing trade Mike and get all the way out of the tax... I think we are barely in it by a millionish or so.