What's new

2020 NBA trade deadline discussion

I doubt DL even knew who Christian wood is. He only cares about half retired vets that are more "established"
If JZ and DL don’t know who he is the. We have a bigger problem

Has there been anything verified that the Pistons are even considering trading Wood? He is on an expiring and they have three players that can play C. Is that the only reason there is discussion regarding Wood?

He would be ideal for the Jazz.

DL is so much better of a GM than KOC that it's not even funny. I actually fault KOC for giving DL a lot of his passivity and course-staying. Perhaps you're not remembering KOC bringing back the exact same flawed team three years in a row to get bounced by the Lakers in the post-season in successively less games each year.
You not remembering that we almost signed Corey Maggette and Jason Terry had their teams not matched our offer. We were also paying luxury tax in that three years you were talking about cuz we matched Portland's offer to bring back Millsap. We were also more justified stand pat back then cuz we simply had a better team than the one we had in 2018.

Also even though we brought everyone back, but we didn't sign anyone to bad extension that is anywhere near as bad as the one DL did with Exum.

This is not saying KOC is the best GM in the world or anything and I absolutely hate his approach in the draft. In fact, i believe we were much closer to a championship than people thought and bascially one Marc Gasol away from beating the Lakers to reach for a championship, but KOC blew it and got us fesenko instead.

But that's all in the past, all I'm saying is that KOC, at least in his early years, was much more aggressive and active in FA and trade than DL. like signing actual prime NBA players who will likely be here for 3+ seasons, instead of those constant “2 year rental” fix

KOC re-tooling instead of rebuilding was my issue. The Al Jefferson years were amongst the saddest in Jazz history. I understood trying it when Deron was still around but once you traded Deron it was time to tank the effs outta this B. There was like 2.5 years we hung out on the treadmill for no reason.
Yeah I hate KOC in his late years. Just way too many mistakes. Some of them are near unforgivable

You not remembering that we almost signed Corey Maggette and Jason Terry had their teams not matched our offer. We were also paying luxury tax in that three years you were talking about cuz we matched Portland's offer to bring back Millsap. We were also more justified stand pat back then cuz we simply had a better team than the one we had in 2018.

Also even though we brought everyone back, but we didn't sign anyone to bad extension that is anywhere near as bad as the one DL did with Exum.

This is not saying KOC is the best GM in the world or anything and I absolutely hate his approach in the draft. In fact, i believe we were much closer to a championship than people thought and bascially one Marc Gasol away from beating the Lakers to reach for a championship, but KOC blew it and got us fesenko instead.

But that's all in the past, all I'm saying is that KOC, at least in his early years, was much more aggressive and active in FA and trade than DL. like signing actual prime NBA players who will likely be here for 3+ seasons, instead of those constant “2 year rental” fix
You're forgetting the Calbert Cheaneys, the Derek Fishers, etc. Yes, we signed Maggette and Terry... when Stockton and Malone retired and we had tons of cap space. The whole reason Millsap got that frontloaded offer is because KOC's MO was "go find your own offer." He ended up reluctantly matching on Millsap, but then let Matthews go because of it and then led DL to doing the same thing with Hayward when he was still green as a GM. And that team was fatally flawed. I do believe that we could have been closer than people thought, but part of what was standing in our way was KOC.

If JZ and DL don’t know who he is the. We have a bigger problem
Then there is no excuse for us to let a player with some star potential go under the radar. I get that maybe DL doesn't like Josh Jackson or thon maker cuz of their issues. But there's literally no excuse for us not to try and get wood. It's OK if we don't get him, but gotta at least try.

Jazz know who they want. They're just waiting for the market to shake out. Their shortlist for bigs probably includes Baynes, Poeltl, Holmes, maybe Wood...

They'll inquire about guys like Aaron Gordon, Bobby Portis, Iguodala and such as part of their due diligence.

They could probably pick up GRIII or maybe Saric pretty easily, imo. Another sleeper might be Kurucs in Brooklyn.

You're forgetting the Calbert Cheaneys, the Derek Fishers, etc. Yes, we signed Maggette and Terry... when Stockton and Malone retired and we had tons of cap space. The whole reason Millsap got that frontloaded offer is because KOC's MO was "go find your own offer." He ended up reluctantly matching on Millsap, but then let Matthews go because of it and then led DL to doing the same thing with Hayward when he was still green as a GM. And that team was fatally flawed. I do believe that we could have been closer than people thought, but part of what was standing in our way was KOC.
Agree with you on KOC in his late years. Couldnt stand him. Just one mistake after another. Was begging for him to step down. But Derek Fisher was actually a pretty good signing, and a better “vet signing” than any vets that DL had signed except for maybe iso-joe. But I'm still waiting on DL to match KOC’s booz/okur signing. Bogie came close, but he’s already 31 and unlikely to outperform his contract the same way Booz and Okur did

Jazz know who they want. They're just waiting for the market to shake out. Their shortlist for bigs probably includes Baynes, Poeltl, Holmes, maybe Wood...

They'll inquire about guys like Aaron Gordon, Bobby Portis, Iguodala and such as part of their due diligence.

They could probably pick up GRIII or maybe Saric pretty easily, imo. Another sleeper might be Kurucs in Brooklyn.
Do you have any thoughts about GR3? Just wondering

I'd be a little disappointed if the jazz still wanna bring in a slow footed traditional big man who can't help us guard the perimeter since this is our main issue right now.

Do you have any thoughts about GR3? Just wondering

I like him. Good size at 6'7", 225 lbs. Hits 3s (37%) and scores at the rim. Brings energy on defense and can guard 3s and 4s. He has some of the same appeal as Royce. He probably does enough to get ahead of Niang in the rotation. He'll grab 5 or 6 rebounds off the bench. That's what we need.

Warriors are willing to move him, just like they'll move Alec Burks.

Has there been anything verified that the Pistons are even considering trading Wood? He is on an expiring and they have three players that can play C. Is that the only reason there is discussion regarding Wood?

He would be ideal for the Jazz.

We don't know if he is available.... but they are selling off Kennard and likely looking at a full re-build. He is a free agent and they don't have bird rights so they have no advantages in retaining him... would have to use a cap exception or space... and if they are stuck with Andre they won't have space.

Agree with you on KOC in his late years. Couldnt stand him. Just one mistake after another. Was begging for him to step down. But Derek Fisher was actually a pretty good signing, and a better “vet signing” than any vets that DL had signed except for maybe iso-joe. But I'm still waiting on DL to match KOC’s booz/okur signing. Bogie came close, but he’s already 31 and unlikely to outperform his contract the same way Booz and Okur did

Jazz traded Devin Brown, Keith McLeod and Andre Owens for Derek Fisher. That was a classic 3 pennies for a dollar trade, and one of the best of his career.

GSW is going to get 120% on Russell and the #1 pick in the draft. I hate sports.
I was kinda shocked they didn't sell out for the Minny package... not the one with Wiggins but just like Dieng and the stuff they got for RoCo. Not a ton of spots for high priced point guards... what if Minny drafts one? I hope they are stuck with him and when it comes time to win again that everyone sees his warts.

Then there is no excuse for us to let a player with some star potential go under the radar. I get that maybe DL doesn't like Josh Jackson or thon maker cuz of their issues. But there's literally no excuse for us not to try and get wood. It's OK if we don't get him, but gotta at least try.
Maker sucks... just want to put that out there... I think TB is legit better.

Reactions: SCS
I'd be a little disappointed if the jazz still wanna bring in a slow footed traditional big man who can't help us guard the perimeter since this is our main issue right now.

Whatever big we bring in won't guard the perimeter. He'll sit back in the paint and help compensate for the fact that some of our guards don't guard well on the perimeter. If you want to guard the perimeter, then get Niang off the floor and bring in a defensive-minded or 2-way wing.