What's new

2020 NBA trade deadline discussion

Could Nerlens Noel be had? He fits the athletic profile of what we need. He plays good defense. He's disruptive in terms of steals/blocks. He finishes at the rim. Minimum salary

Zach Lowe and Kevin Arnovitz talked about the Jazz on their podcast today. Lowe said Exum was their only trade chip and he wouldn't have chosen Clarkson. Said he understands that they needed juice off the bench, but he thinks the Jazz need a 3/4 combo. Lowe said he's been beating the Marcus Morris to Utah drum for like 18 months, but he said obviously they have disagreed. And both would absolutely love Covington here, but not sure how that happens.

Is Ariza on a two year deal? You think he’ll be bought out or just want to cash dem checks? I don’t care if he’s washed. As a minimum signing it’d be great. Vonleh + Ariza would have us good to go.
Non guaranteed second year.

Zach Lowe and Kevin Arnovitz talked about the Jazz on their podcast today. Lowe said Exum was their only trade chip and he wouldn't have chosen Clarkson. Said he understands that they needed juice off the bench, but he thinks the Jazz need a 3/4 combo. Lowe said he's been beating the Marcus Morris to Utah drum for like 18 months, but he said obviously they have disagreed. And both would absolutely love Covington here, but not sure how that happens.

We'd have to take Ingles, Bogdanovic or Royce off the floor to make room for Marcus Morris. Maybe you start Morris and bring Royce off the bench, but then Morris has to take the tough defensive assignments and has to be comfortable as a low-usage guy next to everyone else. I'm not sure that works for him, just as it didn't really work well when he was in Boston. I think in some respects Morris and Bogdanovic are redundant, largely because I think Morris would want a lot of the shots that are currently going to Bogey.

What we need is an energy big, an athletic, defensive-minded forward who does the dirty work, defends, rebounds and runs out, but still knocks down open 3s. So far, Royce is playing that role pretty well. He's just a bit undersized. This would be a Draymond Green, a PJ Tucker, or a younger Serge Ibaka. With Ingles, Bogdanovic and Niang being pedestrian athletes and finesse players, what would make a difference is a long, athletic forward who plays hard and brings some toughness to the table without upsetting the apple cart.

I may slightly agree with that. However, the scoring punch of Clarkson has been phenomenal and just what the bench has needed. The bench with Clarkson and Mudiay is slowly becoming a strength.

I’m gonna throw out a name. We’d have to waive NWG to sign him I think. The Rox almost brought him back this past off-season but they didn’t. There’s low risk here in that we could maybe sign him for this year and next with a team option over the summer. And I’d have to think he’d be super ****ing cheap. Like 1/2 or 2/4 cheap. Honestly without getting a legit 3/4 to defend the Lebron’s of the world, we’re not winning it. We don’t have the assets or salary flexibility to get Marcus Morris and Iggy ain’t happening. This guy might be a steal and if he sucks, don’t play em and opt out. All we lose is NWG. But if he has regained his health and form, he could be a steal and a half.

Luc Mbah a Moute

I’m gonna throw out a name. We’d have to waive NWG to sign him I think. The Rox almost brought him back this past off-season but they didn’t. There’s low risk here in that we could maybe sign him for this year and next with a team option over the summer. And I’d have to think he’d be super ****ing cheap. Like 1/2 or 2/4 cheap. Honestly without getting a legit 3/4 to defend the Lebron’s of the world, we’re not winning it. We don’t have the assets or salary flexibility to get Marcus Morris and Iggy ain’t happening. This guy might be a steal and if he sucks, don’t play em and opt out. All we lose is NWG. But if he has regained his health and form, he could be a steal and a half.

Luc Mbah a Moute
I’m open.

One guy who would fit the Jazz's 2nd unit well would be Kelly Olynyk. The Heat are reportedly trying to make a move or two, but I don't know if we could pry him loose.

One guy who would fit the Jazz's 2nd unit well would be Kelly Olynyk. The Heat are reportedly trying to make a move or two, but I don't know if we could pry him loose.
I would’ve bet money that an Exum trade would be for Olynyk. I’m glad it was for JC instead, but we are hamstrung now in terms of salary-matches for Olynyk. While not a great individual defender or rebounder, I do think he’s better than TB as an overall defender. And he obviously brings way more to the table offensively.

Luc Mbah a Moute
If he plays like the same Luc Mbah a Moute who smothered Gordon Hayward in the playoffs a couple of years ago, I am in.

I would’ve bet money that an Exum trade would be for Olynyk. I’m glad it was for JC instead, but we are hamstrung now in terms of salary-matches for Olynyk. While not a great individual defender or rebounder, I do think he’s better than TB as an overall defender. And he obviously brings way more to the table offensively.
If they were wanting to get off of his deal and cut salary, they’d have to cut two guys, because we could only 3-for-1. I’d be a little leery of him on the team next year because it may handcuff us from using the MLE due to possible luxury tax. Overall I’d rather have him as a player for defense and offense, but I’d really like the expiring contract of Meyers Leonard and he does have playoff experience. Either one can be Conley’s pick and pop guy.

Could Nerlens Noel be had? He fits the athletic profile of what we need. He plays good defense. He's disruptive in terms of steals/blocks. He finishes at the rim. Minimum salary
Nah, he is a stat chaser. He gets numbers but is very undisciplined on defense. Quin would murder him after 2 games.

If they were wanting to get off of his deal and cut salary, they’d have to cut two guys, because we could only 3-for-1. I’d be a little leery of him on the team next year because it may handcuff us from using the MLE due to possible luxury tax. Overall I’d rather have him as a player for defense and offense, but I’d really like the expiring contract of Meyers Leonard and he does have playoff experience. Either one can be Conley’s pick and pop guy.
So we could do TB, Davis, and Mudiay to Minny for their trade exception they just created for Kelly.. still 3 for 1 but Minny takes one of the players.