2020 Presidential election

Zombie

Yes, indeed......

The Trump administration has been consulting the former government lawyer who wrote the legal justification for waterboarding, on how the president might try to rule by decree.

John Yoo told Axios he has been talking to White House officials about his view that a recent supreme court ruling on immigration would allow Trump to issue executive orders that flout federal law.

In a Fox News Sunday interview, Trump declared he would try to use that interpretation to try to force through decrees on healthcare, immigration and “various other plans” over the coming month.

Constitutional scholars and human rights activists have also pointed to the deployment of paramilitary federal forces against protesters in Portland as a sign that Trump is ready to use this broad interpretation of presidential powers as a means to suppress basic constitutional rights.
I'm so glad we held the Bush administration accountable for their eight years of authoritarian ********.

The Thriller

Coronavirus briefings are coming back!

Guess we already at the point where Hail Marys are going to start getting tossed on the field. I can’t fathom that Trump will stay on topic for these which just gives Biden more time to clean up his basement.

Oh this is gonna do his campaign wonders!

Can’t wait to see his approval rating after a few weeks of blowing up reporters and suggesting we inject Lysol and flashlights up our butts!

The Thriller

I'm so glad we held the Bush administration accountable for their eight years of authoritarian ********.
Yeah. Dems should definitely not make the same mistake again. There needs to be some accountability this time. I’m also not a huge fan of rehabbing Bush and Reagan’s images. If it helps in peeling off suburban support? Sure whatever. But I think most Dems can see through some of the fake Reagan nonsense that some of these Never Trump Republican groups are putting out. Reagan made Trump and Trumpism possible. And Reagan too dragged his feet during a pandemic.

Last edited:

The Thriller

Coronavirus briefings are coming back!

Guess we already at the point where Hail Marys are going to start getting tossed on the field. I can’t fathom that Trump will stay on topic for these which just gives Biden more time to clean up his basement.
There are honestly times where I feel bad for this admin. No one other than Trump thinks him leading covid Press conferences is a good idea. And then I see the Georgia gov suing Atlanta’s mayor for mandating masks, I see Florida’s governor doing nothing to lower 10,000+ cases per day, I see Ted Cruz arguing with Mark Cuban over the National Anthem, Jim Jordan talking about Drew Brees, Sean Hannity acting like Portland is Stalingrad in 1942, and Trump continues to spout off against testing. **** it. **** the entire party.

Everything burns.

So yes, do the stupid press conferences. Continue to commit political suicide.

Edit: just saw this

Is there a way they could schedule two press conferences or more per day? Trump sucks so bad.

Avery

As if this election couldn’t get weirder, Kanye’s odd rants last night and tonight on Twitter tells me that Biden and Trump are both more cognizant than him.

Are we sure this isn’t some ****ed up version of the matrix?

Red

Yeah, the imperial presidency has been a work in progress for awhile now. That said, Trump is a different animal altogether, and he is bringing things to a head where authoritarianism in America is concerned. And, as conservative Jennifer Rubin suggested in a recent Washington Post opinion piece, we should establish some form of “truth commission” early in a Biden administration....

The first goal should be a complete historical accounting of the reams of scandals and abuses of power in the Trump era. We usually leave it “to history” to review a presidency, but here we need a swift and definitive legal accounting on issues such as any secret understandings with Russian President Vladimir Putin; the use of federal forces against peaceful demonstrators; the limitations imposed on the FBI in investigating Brett M. Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearing; the firings of inspectors general and more. (I would not recommend redoing the Russia and Ukraine investigations, although coming to a conclusion where then-special counsel Robert S. Mueller III would not — on whether Trump committed crimes — may be required.)

The second goal should be to investigate crimes by others so as to prosecute them and set an example for future administrations. My suggestion would be for Biden’s attorney general to announce on his or her first day in office that everyone in the Justice Department has two weeks to deliver any evidence of crimes or ethical violations by anyone in the department, up to and including the attorney general. Anyone who does not may themselves be the subject of investigation and prosecution. We need a full fumigation of the Justice Department in particular; only when we know who did what can we go about repairing its reputation.

NAOS

Yeah, the imperial presidency has been a work in progress for awhile now. That said, Trump is a different animal altogether, and he is bringing things to a head where authoritarianism in America is concerned. And, as conservative Jennifer Rubin suggested in a recent Washington Post opinion piece, we should establish some form of “truth commission” early in a Biden administration....

The first goal should be a complete historical accounting of the reams of scandals and abuses of power in the Trump era. We usually leave it “to history” to review a presidency, but here we need a swift and definitive legal accounting on issues such as any secret understandings with Russian President Vladimir Putin; the use of federal forces against peaceful demonstrators; the limitations imposed on the FBI in investigating Brett M. Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearing; the firings of inspectors general and more. (I would not recommend redoing the Russia and Ukraine investigations, although coming to a conclusion where then-special counsel Robert S. Mueller III would not — on whether Trump committed crimes — may be required.)

The second goal should be to investigate crimes by others so as to prosecute them and set an example for future administrations. My suggestion would be for Biden’s attorney general to announce on his or her first day in office that everyone in the Justice Department has two weeks to deliver any evidence of crimes or ethical violations by anyone in the department, up to and including the attorney general. Anyone who does not may themselves be the subject of investigation and prosecution. We need a full fumigation of the Justice Department in particular; only when we know who did what can we go about repairing its reputation.
#FullFumigation sounds like something the Biden campaign should use

Reactions: Red

LogGrad98

Contributor
As if this election couldn’t get weirder, Kanye’s odd rants last night and tonight on Twitter tells me that Biden and Trump are both more cognizant than him.

Are we sure this isn’t some ****ed up version of the matrix?
I think we've all completely slipped into the universe of the Mandela Effect.

Avery

Judging by this actually on-message coronavirus briefing today, it seems fairly apparent that he knows his polls are in the toilet and if he doesn’t pivot, there’s no chance of a second term.

I think the damage is already done.