What's new

2021 Free Agency

Long time fan an supporter of "releasing the Brantley" but after last night I feel the better course of action might be "releasing the Brantley... to another team".

I'm fine either way. Hughes settled down a little last night after his terrible first half and he did play defense last night which is new. Want to see the guys in Vegas before any huge sweeping assessments on some.

Forrest could be the small guard defender we need. I am very encouraged by him. Oni has some potential still but obvi disappointed. I'd like to clear one roster spot for a Justise Winslow, Tyler Bey, type flier... or see who gets released.

Currently the roster is

Conley
Donovan
Royce
Bojan
Gobert

With JC, Joe, Rudy Gay, Whiteside/Udoka off the bench. There is maybe 5-6 minutes for a wing or a guy like Forrest or Butler to pick up when healthy. When Mike/Joe sit out you are rolling with more minutes from Butler, Forrest, Oni. I'd keep one roster spot open for when cuts happen or if a Summer League guy pops. If nothing good comes up I'm comfortable rolling with the roster and adding in as injuries and opportunities allow. I'd consider a reliable vet option too... Darius Miller is the guy I'd use there.

Whatever we do at the end of the roster I'd realllyyyyyy like to get a team option for the second year... so that if we landed a guy with upside or a vet that surprises with their production... that we capture that upside for an extra year.
I’m with you. Basically, I just want to see Brantley play a little basketball, and I don’t care much if it happens elsewhere.

Rosters spots are precious.... And we still have some serious needs, imo.

John Collins signed a 5/125M contract extension and got a player option for the 5th year.

@oneye where is Collins looking to go since he got that player option that you swore we didn’t have to give Donovan?
@Elizah Huge So, the circumstances are totally different. John Collins was drafted in 2017, the same year as Donovan. He got his deal a year later, which means the Hawks DID play hardball with him and refused to give him a max last summer when they could have. He still didn’t get the full max contract. See, the entire reason the Jazz had the leverage to say no player option to Donovan is they gave him a full max, gave it a year early(this is the reason why teams have never given out player options, they give the contract a year earlier than they have to to have that leverage), they also gave him the easiest path to a supermax (Collins didn’t get that) and a trade kicker(Collins also didn’t get that). So all this shows me is you don’t know how contracts work.

Btw y’all, here’s Donovan’s latest like on Twitter:

Keep fighting that the PO was a good thing, you have 2 more years to watch him on your team before he asks for a trade instead of 3. Exactly what I said was going to happen will end up happening, and you’ve got half the time left as the amount of time he’s already been here and he’s going to be a dark cloud over the organization the entire time. Enjoy.

People who can’t use apostrophes or determine when they’re necessary aren’t trustworthy
Maybe he's referring to both the Jazz and the Stars. That or Donovan's malware removed his apostrophes.

I don't know why I just don't think about Forrest as a guy in the same conversation as Exum or Smokes, but yeah, I think we already have a player of their calibre that has a big head start on being meshed with the team and gameplan. Not sure Exum or Smokes really brings anything (besides just having another body), honestly.

Is Oni going to be doing summer league? He needs to seize the moment to prove he belongs on this team.

Who is left that is worth targeting? I like the idea of grabbing Darius Miller, but I'm blanking on where else to get vet depth at the wing.

I don't know why I just don't think about Forrest as a guy in the same conversation as Exum or Smokes, but yeah, I think we already have a player of their calibre that has a big head start on being meshed with the team and gameplan. Not sure Exum or Smokes really brings anything (besides just having another body), honestly.

Is Oni going to be doing summer league? He needs to seize the moment to prove he belongs on this team.

Who is left that is worth targeting? I like the idea of grabbing Darius Miller, but I'm blanking on where else to get vet depth at the wing.
James motha****ing Ennis, dog. Or take a flier on Winslow.

My ideal end to the offseason would be trading Doke, Hughes, or Oni and a second to GSW for Paschall and signing one of James Ennis, Winslow, or another available minimum wing. Those moves would add playable versatility to the wing.

Let’s ice this kakk.

Morgan is in such an awkward situation
He's in bad shape. Literally. I've been high on him but if he can't show professional discipline with his body while being on the fringes of the NBA, then he answered if he really belongs in the league. To add, Jazz didn't give him the QO, so he's dead man walking (which is probably what you're referring to).

In this case, I think he made his bed.

Josh Hart? His shooting has dipped in recent years, but he boards hard (8 per game in 28 minutes!!!) and has been improving as a passer. Could be useful in small-ball.

Josh Hart? His shooting has dipped in recent years, but he boards hard (8 per game in 28 minutes!!!) and has been improving as a passer. Could be useful in small-ball.
How’s his defense? I’m really shocked by those rebounding numbers, and it’s not just this year (higher this year but still very impressive other years). 10 rebounds per 36. That’s impressive with such a paint-clogged team he was on.

Surprised to see he’s a FA. Why hasn’t he been signed yet? He’s better than a lot of scrubs that have been signed the past couple of days.

Could he be had for the minimum?
No way. I would expect (didn't check) he's RFA, and NOP will match any reasonable offer for sure. They want to build something for Zion, and Hart's a big part of anything they can do.

@Elizah Huge So, the circumstances are totally different. John Collins was drafted in 2017, the same year as Donovan. He got his deal a year later, which means the Hawks DID play hardball with him and refused to give him a max last summer when they could have. He still didn’t get the full max contract. See, the entire reason the Jazz had the leverage to say no player option to Donovan is they gave him a full max, gave it a year early(this is the reason why teams have never given out player options, they give the contract a year earlier than they have to to have that leverage), they also gave him the easiest path to a supermax (Collins didn’t get that) and a trade kicker(Collins also didn’t get that). So all this shows me is you don’t know how contracts work.

Btw y’all, here’s Donovan’s latest like on Twitter:

Keep fighting that the PO was a good thing, you have 2 more years to watch him on your team before he asks for a trade instead of 3. Exactly what I said was going to happen will end up happening, and you’ve got half the time left as the amount of time he’s already been here and he’s going to be a dark cloud over the organization the entire time. Enjoy.

That deal is going to look very Serge Ibaka-ish in a couple years for the Hawks when they have to let go of other key pieces.

Dante Exum and Justise Winslow