What's new

2021 Free Agency

Not now necessarily, but how would we feel about Bogey for Harrison Barnes to get us a bit more well-rounded and add perimeter d? I don’t think Sacramento would do it as I think they’re trying to become more defensive-minded but I think that’s a smart move for us if it’s there.

Barnes was 49.7/39.1/83.0 last year with a 62.6 TS%, far above his career high. He also had career highs in rebound and assist rates. I don’t expect to replicate those numbers but dude is just hitting his prime and I like the idea of Royce/Barnes/Gay out there as defensive possibilities. As well as Ingles to a lesser extent and even Doke who might be a gem if he gets into shape.
It’s interesting.

Broadly speaking, I think trading Bogey or Clarkson would make a lot of sense. You can’t really fundamentally improve the defense of a team if 90% of the minutes are going to the same players as the year before.

Another deal I’ve been thinking about is Clarkson for Smart straight up. If Boston doesn’t get or want an extension with Smart, then they would be getting sufficiently compensated with Clarkson being on a multi-year deal. So they do it to get that and we do it cuz this is a year-by-year contention effort, and the Jazz could still re-sign Smart if everything went well. If not, the Jazz should have sufficient guard depth to figure something else out.

Totally true. Word from Tony is that the rotation is set though and Ingles is unlikely to be moved. Tony could be wrong, but he was ahead of the game on Gay and Paschall.
Not now necessarily, but how would we feel about Bogey for Harrison Barnes to get us a bit more well-rounded and add perimeter d? I don’t think Sacramento would do it as I think they’re trying to become more defensive-minded but I think that’s a smart move for us if it’s there.

Barnes was 49.7/39.1/83.0 last year with a 62.6 TS%, far above his career high. He also had career highs in rebound and assist rates. I don’t expect to replicate those numbers but dude is just hitting his prime and I like the idea of Royce/Barnes/Gay out there as defensive possibilities. As well as Ingles to a lesser extent and even Doke who might be a gem if he gets into shape.
Bogey for Barnes would be about the perfect move basketball-wise. Problem is, Barnes makes more money, so it would send us further into the tax, or we could also throw in Hughes, Doke, or Oni for salary purposes so we basically break even (I’d like to keep Doke around, as I think he could develop into a post-Gobert era starter).

A package centered around Bogey for Nance also makes sense.

Those are about the only moves I see where it changes our roster construction a bit and keeps us contending.

Maybe at the deadline.

Last edited:
Bogey for Barnes would be about the perfect move basketball-wise. Problem is, Barnes makes more money, so it would send us further into the tax, or we could also throw in Hughes, Doke, or Oni for salary purposes so we basically break even (I’d like to keep Doke around, as I think he could develop into a post-Gobert era starter).

A package centered around Bogey for Nance also makes sense.

Those are about the only moves I see where it changes our roster construction a bit and keeps us contending.

Maybe at the deadline.
Barnes makes more this year and then drops to 18M next year iirc. Also, we could send someone out with Bogey in the trade. Whiteside for all I care of Doke looks really good.

Doke shot 44.1% from the free throw line in college. His senior year. His best year. Jesus. Let’s hope he’s been working on that.

Shaq only shot 53% FT lifetime as a pro
He seemed to do ok

1) We didn’t draft Shaq.
2) 44.1% was his high for one season. 41.6% was his career number. That’s like all-time worst numbers.

After chewing on this idea of trading Bogey for Barnes:

-I’m not sure why Sacramento does it. Probably would need another team
-I’m not positive that Barnes is better on either side of the ball, but I’m intrigued.
-Barnes’ biggest selling point is his age relative to Bogey’s, not defense (he actually has a worse DBPM than Bogey this year, and I think Bogey improved a lot as a defender vs his first year here). Being 3 years younger makes a meaningful difference in my eyes in terms of greater potential of extending the quality of this build and maybe even giving Donovan more reasons to stay.
-Barnes improved his passing a lot in the last year. That and his improved TS% probably reflects a bit of a jump in understanding the game and his place in it.
-If saving a few million helps swing the trade for Sacramento, then the Jazz should just pay more money to make it happen.

At the end of the day, the continuity might be more valuable. Not sure.

It’s interesting.

Broadly speaking, I think trading Bogey or Clarkson would make a lot of sense. You can’t really fundamentally improve the defense of a team if 90% of the minutes are going to the same players as the year before.

Another deal I’ve been thinking about is Clarkson for Smart straight up. If Boston doesn’t get or want an extension with Smart, then they would be getting sufficiently compensated with Clarkson being on a multi-year deal. So they do it to get that and we do it cuz this is a year-by-year contention effort, and the Jazz could still re-sign Smart if everything went well. If not, the Jazz should have sufficient guard depth to figure something else out.
This is my dream deal, considering realistic scenarios, and considering where the roster is.

Last edited:
I probably irrationally love Marcus Smart, but I would even add some sweetener to the JC deal to make it work. I think his defense, energy, and attitude is exactly what our team is missing. I also think we have enough bench scoring now that we can get by without JC.

After chewing on this idea of trading Bogey for Barnes:

-I’m not sure why Sacramento does it. Probably would need another team
-I’m not positive that Barnes is better on either side of the ball, but I’m intrigued.
-Barnes’ biggest selling point is his age relative to Bogey’s, not defense (he actually has a worse DBPM than Bogey this year, and I think Bogey improved a lot as a defender vs his first year here). Being 3 years younger makes a meaningful difference in my eyes in terms of greater potential of extending the quality of this build and maybe even giving Donovan more reasons to stay.
-Barnes improved his passing a lot in the last year. That and his improved TS% probably reflects a bit of a jump in understanding the game and his place in it.
-If saving a few million helps swing the trade for Sacramento, then the Jazz should just pay more money to make it happen.

At the end of the day, the continuity might be more valuable. Not sure.

Agreed about the Kings’ motives. I don’t see a reason they do it. He’s sort of exactly what they need right now. As far as Barnes defensive metrics, how many defenders do we see that have strong defensive numbers on really bad (defensive) teams? At least I assume the Kings were ******* defensively. IMO, you throw Barnes on a 55-60 win team like the Jazz and he’s far motivated and his numbers look far better with Gobert there to inflate them. I’ll leave with this. I can’t help but recall a young Barnes starting on the Dubs the first year they won it. He was playing some 3, some 4, and held his own. It wasn’t like they had stud defenders all over. Green is great, Thompson is quite good. Idk. I just don’t see any way he’s not a defensive upgrade over Bogey. Add in his age and his ability to put the ball on the floor without turning it over every time, and this would be a really good move. IMO of course.

I probably irrationally love Marcus Smart, but I would even add some sweetener to the JC deal to make it work. I think his defense, energy, and attitude is exactly what our team is missing. I also think we have enough bench scoring now that we can get by without JC.
I’ve been waving the flag for Smart since the year he was drafted and they took Exum instead. But trading JC for him would have to bring a title, because he’s a free agent and *would* walk at the end of the year because he wouldn’t want to come off the bench. There are plenty of teams he could start for. If Conley hadn’t been re-signed, then I’d be all over it.

I’m really liking what I’m seeing from Udoka, but we need to keep in mind he’s only been playing organized basketball for a couple years. He is going to take a while to develop. I have no problem with one year of Whiteside making sure things don’t fall apart while Rudy sits for 10 minutes a night.

Just looked up Hassan and Gobert lifetime FT%
Hassan is 60% Rudy is 63% Of course Rudy is much better now
So if Udoka could get to 60% that might be good
Everyone forgetting that he's at 80% for his NBA career? ;)