What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Most 1st rd picks don't go to the combine anymore so I wouldn't expect him there. The nba needs to make it mandatory for all players to go there and at least get measured.

Ah. I didnt know that. Good info. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

You're probably right. I think Keyonte George could also challenge to make the end of that list.

If it is the chalk 4 Keyonte is not going before 5 now imo. He has the ball skills to maybe make it happen for Houston at 4th though.
I think any number of teams needing an elite on ball scorer, are ranking Keyonte ahead of some of the higher ceiling targets like Cam and the Thompsons , but Indiana Orlando Detroit Charlotte and SAS are out imo.
Houston at 5 and Washington even more so at 7 or after.

Ah. I didnt know that. Good info. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
I think that is a little off though.
Most highly ranked prospects and lottery locks pre draft, just show up for measurements no athletic testing. Some just for interviews.
There are more and more that get promises , and some try to manipulate the process and just do individual workouts for the teams they want to play for.
I bet 75% of the projected first round draft picks in this class are all at the combine, even if only half of them participate in anything meaningful for a fan to use
as a ranking tool. Like some insane wingspan, or some terrible latteral agility numbers and likely poor defense as a result or something.
I think a lot of them projected in 2nd or udfa are testing the waters if they get invites and have no clue if they will get any nba interest unless they participate so they do.

You're looking at the glass as half empty. GG combines enough size, athleticism, handle, shooting touch, three-level scoring and defensive reactions to mature into a high-impact, two-way wing. He was the #1-rated prospect in his HS class for a reason. Yes, he's an 18 year-old prospect and requires some projection, but his ceiling is very high. When it comes to drafting, especially drafting high, I only care about upside.

That said, the argument against the Jazz taking GG is that they already have a supersized wing who averages 25/9 and is one of the most offensively efficient players in the league. That's what you'd be hoping GG can become in 4 or 5 years.

You keep listing these things as good things, when I see that as a list of his weaknesses. He’s not good in any of those areas besides his handle. And no, the combination of all these things is not amounting to a good overall package. He’s very much a bad player right now on both ends.

Defensively, he has no tools. I have no idea how you can conclude that he can be a high level impact two way player when he’s bad at every attribute. His physical tools are not amazing, he is laughable from a defensive awareness perspective, and he plays with no effort.

Being bad =\= having potential.

How about GG Jackson as a Miller substitute? Thoughts on him?

Miller is a really efficient scorer, but may not have enough wiggle to ever be a shot creator in the NBA. GG is basically all wiggle with questionable everything else on the court. He hits some pretty step back jumpers that look nice when they go in.

Is there a Darius Garland type in this draft? I feel like we could use one of those…
nope. not that I have seen. But you could slot Keyonte in as potentially developing those passing skills in time. He has the same Garland shooting ability.
Colby Jones is somebody I see being a Haliburton type for us at the next level. I think he is still being slept on as a lottery pick.

Miller is a really efficient scorer, but may not have enough wiggle to ever be a shot creator in the NBA. GG is basically all wiggle with questionable everything else on the court. He hits some pretty step back jumpers that look nice when they go in.
If that’s the assessment that sounds pretty promising…

There's plenty of guys in the NBA who dont wiggle and create shots.

You're looking at the glass as half empty. GG combines enough size, athleticism, handle, shooting touch, three-level scoring and defensive reactions to mature into a high-impact, two-way wing. He was the #1-rated prospect in his HS class for a reason. Yes, he's an 18 year-old prospect and requires some projection, but his ceiling is very high. When it comes to drafting, especially drafting high, I only care about upside.

That said, the argument against the Jazz taking GG is that they already have a supersized wing who averages 25/9 and is one of the most offensively efficient players in the league. That's what you'd be hoping GG can become in 4 or 5 years.
His ceiling isnt that high though. The only thing he does at a high level is score. Awful defender, mediocre shooter, poor intangibles, terrible passer.

Of course at the end of the day scoring is king. He's in the 15-20ish range right now. Would not draft him lottery as the Jazz.

Kind of reminds me of Shabazz Muhammad. Another guy who was ranked super high as a Freshman and basically couldnt do anything other than score. Was a very selfish mentality kind of player. Seems like that might be GG.

Last edited:
How about GG Jackson as a Miller substitute? Thoughts on him?
Very different players.

Miller is going to be like a Hayward type IMO. Just a very big guard/wing who can do a bit of everything at a high level but probably isnt going to be your #1 scoring option.

GG Jackson's ceiling is the Bogey role where he's just a bucket getter who can guard big wings 1-on-1 but hurts you everywhere else on defense.

For me the concern with GG is the lack of clear NBA attributes. He's not a good shooter, not super athletic, doesn't have amazing length, bad passing instincts, no defensive instincts, no defensive playmaking ability.....He's good at dribbling for his size, but what is that actually worth? He would look better if he wasn't chucking up fadeways the whole game, but I'm struggling to see how he's a functional NBA player.
GG's thing is just size+fluidity combo. I would imagine he's got like a +2 or 3 wingspan on a 6'8 body. But he's very well built for his age. He's going to fill out and be a pretty strong/quick player at his size. Nothing overly explosive, but will be a tough cover.

He doesnt shoot it well, but his shot does look good.

His ceiling isnt that high though. The only thing he does at a high level is score. Awful defender, mediocre shooter, poor intangibles, terrible passer.

Of course at the end of the day scoring is king. He's in the 15-20ish range right now. Would not draft him lottery as the Jazz.

Kind of reminds me of Shabazz Muhammad. Another guy who was ranked super high as a Freshman and basically couldnt do anything other than score. Was a very selfish mentality kind of player. Seems like that might be GG.

Yeah, we're going to disagree again, pretty much on all of this. GG is actually a switchable defender and can guard 2-4. His team at SC has been playing a 1-3-1 zone a lot, which hides players' defensive abilities. GG makes limited effort to guard beyond his immediate space, but he's got both the tools and advanced timing to defend. He's positionally pretty sound and averages 1.9 stocks per 36 mins. He's also rebounding well, pulling 7 boards per 36 mins, with is the same as Jeff Green as a junior at Georgetown.

GG scores at three levels with little-to-no help from his teammates and despite the fact that he often has to beat multiple defenders. He takes really difficult shots with small time/space windows to get shots off. He's not getting open space unless he steps out to 25+ feet. Even so, his 3pt percentage is currently 35%, which is on par with Tatum at Duke.

Shabazz Muhammad was successful in his HS class largely because he was 2 years older than everyone else. He played bully ball that worked at the HS and somewhat at the college level, but didn't translate to the NBA. Ultimately, his attitude also hurt his NBA career. GG is closer to Harry Giles of his HS class. He's got a high offensive skill level for his size and age. The hope is that he'll fill out to a legit 6'9 / 225 lbs with the ability to create space and open looks for himself within NBA offensive concepts

GG's ceiling is like a shiftier, slightly bouncier version of Siakam, but with more in-between game, which would make him an All Star-caliber player.

I personally wouldn’t trade any picks to move up in the draft. Save those picks for trading for an established star. That’s why you stockpile them.

We have enough to do whatever we want and it not affect a future deal down the line. We have our own firsts and 9 firsts from other teams. Trading one or two isn’t going to affect a big trade down the line.