What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Yeah, we're going to disagree again, pretty much on all of this. GG is actually a switchable defender and can guard 2-4. His team at SC has been playing a 1-3-1 zone a lot, which hides players' defensive abilities. GG makes limited effort to guard beyond his immediate space, but he's got both the tools and advanced timing to defend. He's positionally pretty sound and averages 1.9 stocks per 36 mins. He's also rebounding well, pulling 7 boards per 36 mins, with is the same as Jeff Green as a junior at Georgetown.

GG scores at three levels with little-to-no help from his teammates and despite the fact that he often has to beat multiple defenders. He takes really difficult shots with small time/space windows to get shots off. He's not getting open space unless he steps out to 25+ feet. Even so, his 3pt percentage is currently 35%, which is on par with Tatum at Duke.

Shabazz Muhammad was successful in his HS class largely because he was 2 years older than everyone else. He played bully ball that worked at the HS and somewhat at the college level, but didn't translate to the NBA. Ultimately, his attitude also hurt his NBA career. GG is closer to Harry Giles of his HS class. He's got a high offensive skill level for his size and age. The hope is that he'll fill out to a legit 6'9 / 225 lbs with the ability to create space and open looks for himself within NBA offensive concepts

GG's ceiling is like a shiftier, slightly bouncier version of Siakam, but with more in-between game, which would make him an All Star-caliber player.
He is nothing like Siakim....

Brandon Miller is closer to Paul George than GG is to Pascal Siakim.

Leonard MIller is closer to Siakim than GG probably .
GG is closer to a poor mans less athletic BAM if anything
I really hate comps.

I just think the role GG is going to fit into is going to be a pure scoring forward. I think his shot is going to be pretty good. He gets it off pretty easily and fluidly. The issue that keeps me from being super excited about him as a scoring forward is that his FT% is dumpster juice. Can he shore up his efficiency as a scoring forward or is he destined to be a Jabari Parker?

The Siakim comp is just bonkers to me. It's purely a physical comp, becuase the games arent alike and I dont see GG evolving into that. But anything is possible I guess.

I think Brandon Millers upside is extremely high and more-so than 3rd best dude on a team. For a guy that hates comps that Gordon Hayward one is out there.

Also, I was super anti GG on this thread for months but I think he’s more than just a scorer and nothing else if you actually watch his games. Again, coming from a guy that had to totally come around on him.

Post Deadline Big Board

1. Wemby (Tier I)
  2. Scoot
  3. Amen Thompson (Tier II)
  4. Brandon Miller
  5. Jarace Walker
  6. Cam Whitmore
  7. Nick Smith Jr
  8. Cason Wallace (Tier III)
  9. Anthony Black
  10. Ausar Thompson
  11. Kyle Filipowski
  12. Taylor Hendricks
  13. Leonard Miller
  14. Grady Dick
  15. Keyonte George
  16. Jett Howard (Tier IV)
  17. Derek Lively
  18. Jordan Hawkins
  19. Rayan Rupert
  20. GG Jackson
  21. Brice Sensabaugh
  22. Maxwell Lewis (Tier V)
  23. Jalen Hood Schifino
  24. Kris Murray
  25. Marcus Sasser
  26. Terquavion Smith
  27. Daron Holmes
  28. Trayce Jackson Davis
  29. Jaime Jacquez Jr
  30. Dariq Whitehead
  31. Colby Jones

Last edited:
Post Deadline Big Board

1. Wemby (Tier I)
  2. Scoot
  4. Brandon Miller
  5. Jarace Walker
  6. Cam Whitmore
  7. Nick Smith Jr
  9. Anthony Black
  10. Kyle Filipowski
  11. Taylor Hendricks
  12. Leonard Miller
  13. Grady Dick
  14. Keyonte George
  15. Jett Howard (Tier IV)
  16. Derek Lively
  17. Jordan Hawkins
  18. Rayan Rupert
  19. GG Jackson
  20. Brice Sensabaugh
  21. Maxwell Lewis (Tier V)
  22. Jalen Hood Schifino
  23. Kris Murray
  24. Marcus Sasser
  25. Terquavion Smith
  26. Daron Holmes
  27. Trayce Jackson Davis
  28. Jaime Jacquez Jr
  29. Dariq Whitehead
  30. Colby Jones

Hard to argue with a lot of this at this point.

Nick Smith and Rupert aren’t as high for me personally, today, but really nice mock.

What counts as a “three level scorer”. GG is 25% in the mid range. He is god awful. But if we’re saying he has the ability to be a good defender, might as well right? There are no strengths and weaknesses. If you completely suck at something, it’s just potential.

I’m about to put my name in the draft because I also completely suck at scoring. I may not be good now, but I have limitless potential.

What counts as a “three level scorer”. GG is 25% in the mid range. He is god awful. But if we’re saying he has the ability to be a good defender, might as well right? There are no strengths and weaknesses. If you completely suck at something, it’s just potential.

I’m about to put my name in the draft because I also completely suck at scoring. I may not be good now, but I have limitless potential.

25% from mid-range and 34.6% from 3 doesn’t scream three-level scorer to me. He’s wildly inefficient.

His ceiling isnt that high though. The only thing he does at a high level is score. Awful defender, mediocre shooter, poor intangibles, terrible passer.

Of course at the end of the day scoring is king. He's in the 15-20ish range right now. Would not draft him lottery as the Jazz.

Kind of reminds me of Shabazz Muhammad. Another guy who was ranked super high as a Freshman and basically couldnt do anything other than score. Was a very selfish mentality kind of player. Seems like that might be GG.

I wouldn’t even say he scores at a high level. He gets crappy shots off at a high rate, but that is about it.

Post Deadline Big Board

1. Wemby (Tier I)
  2. Scoot
  4. Brandon Miller
  5. Jarace Walker
  6. Cam Whitmore
  7. Nick Smith Jr
  9. Anthony Black
  10. Ausar Thompson
  11. Kyle Filipowski
  12. Taylor Hendricks
  13. Leonard Miller
  14. Grady Dick
  15. Keyonte George
  17. Derek Lively
  18. Jordan Hawkins
  19. Rayan Rupert
  20. GG Jackson
  21. Brice Sensabaugh
  23. Jalen Hood Schifino
  24. Kris Murray
  25. Marcus Sasser
  26. Terquavion Smith
  27. Daron Holmes
  28. Trayce Jackson Davis
  29. Jaime Jacquez Jr
  30. Dariq Whitehead
  31. Colby Jones
I would move jett into the tier 3

Post Deadline Big Board

1. Wemby (Tier I)
  2. Scoot
  4. Brandon Miller
  5. Jarace Walker
  6. Cam Whitmore
  7. Nick Smith Jr
  9. Anthony Black
  10. Ausar Thompson
  11. Kyle Filipowski
  12. Taylor Hendricks
  13. Leonard Miller
  14. Grady Dick
  15. Keyonte George
  17. Derek Lively
  18. Jordan Hawkins
  19. Rayan Rupert
  20. GG Jackson
  21. Brice Sensabaugh
  23. Jalen Hood Schifino
  24. Kris Murray
  25. Marcus Sasser
  26. Terquavion Smith
  27. Daron Holmes
  28. Trayce Jackson Davis
  29. Jaime Jacquez Jr
  30. Dariq Whitehead
  31. Colby Jones
Also surprised you have Lively so hi and no mention of Ware. I have ware above Lively

Post Deadline Big Board

1. Wemby (Tier I)
  2. Scoot
  4. Brandon Miller
  5. Jarace Walker
  6. Cam Whitmore
  7. Nick Smith Jr
  9. Anthony Black
  10. Ausar Thompson
  11. Kyle Filipowski
  12. Taylor Hendricks
  13. Leonard Miller
  14. Grady Dick
  15. Keyonte George
  17. Derek Lively
  18. Jordan Hawkins
  19. Rayan Rupert
  20. GG Jackson
  21. Brice Sensabaugh
  23. Jalen Hood Schifino
  24. Kris Murray
  25. Marcus Sasser
  26. Terquavion Smith
  27. Daron Holmes
  28. Trayce Jackson Davis
  29. Jaime Jacquez Jr
  30. Dariq Whitehead
  31. Colby Jones
Wow.. is Keyonte that much worse than Nick Smith?

Some mocks even have Keyonte higher due to his playmaking ability.

Also surprised you have Lively so hi and no mention of Ware. I have ware above Lively
Ware ducking sucks.

Lively is an elite shot blocker who understands his role and seems to work hard. He should be infinitely better in the NBA if he goes to a smart team. Should maybe have him higher.

Also the guard play for Duke is basically non existent. Proctor is awful. Roach is mediocre. Whitehead is injured and when he plays he's mediocre.

Last edited:
Wow.. is Keyonte that much worse than Nick Smith?
Hard to say since NSJ has hardly played due to injuries, but I like his moxy when he played. He seemed to have the "it" factor. I would say the Keynote and NSJ placements are hard. Could be wrong on both.

Hard to say since NSJ has hardly played due to injuries, but I like his moxy when he played. He seemed to have the "it" factor. I would say the Keynote and NSJ placements are hard. Could be wrong on both.
Failing at grabbing Wemby, Scoot or Miller, I've been looking at the guards, Kyonte & Nick Smith. Keyonte, he seems to have the playmaking ability that the Jazz would really like to go with Markkanen and Kessler. I see a bit of Donovan in him. Nick Smith more of a pure scorer ala Jordan Clarkson.

Failing at grabbing Wemby, Scoot or Miller, I've been looking at the guards, Kyonte & Nick Smith. Keyonte, he seems to have the playmaking ability that the Jazz would really like to go with Markkanen and Kessler. I see a bit of Donovan in him. Nick Smith more of a pure scorer ala Jordan Clarkson.
Maybe. Also think that's a lot of projection based on how their bodies look.

How a combo guard develops long term is hard to judge. And it's harder with NSJs small sample size

Also, while not quantifiable, I see the 'fire in his eyes' in Kayonte the same fire I see in the likes of Lillard and Donovan.

Does anyone else see it or is it just me?

I personally think this is a great draft for wing-sized players. Wouldn’t hate it at all if the Jazz drafted 3 guys that fit that physical profile and hope one or more break out. I think it’s easier to find guards in FA and on the trade market than it is to find dynamic wings. Think you usually have to take shots in the draft to find those players.

Ware ducking sucks.

Lively is an elite shot blocker who understands his role and seems to work hard. He should be infinitely better in the NBA if he goes to a smart team. Should maybe have him higher.

Also the guard play for Duke is basically non existent. Proctor is awful. Roach is mediocre. Whitehead is injured and when he plays he's mediocre.
I have watched 2 duke games and I did not like Lively. When he wasn't in the play he just didn't do anything. There were times he didnt even seem to care he was on the floor. I just hate players that run hot and cold.

I have only watched part of a ducks game. I liked wars shooting ability but I have not seen a lot of him.