What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Losing breeds losing winning breeds winning so I say let’s keep on winning! I really don’t want to be Houston or Oklahoma City still in the turnstile after five years.

Winning or losing depends entirely on the players on the floor. Two years ago, the Jazz were the best regular-season team in the league. Today they're a bottom 5 or 6 team. Also, winning culture comes from the players themselves. The players have to be competitive and have to want to win. Last season, some of the Jazz players checked out.

Just keep him as a 4 and avoid unnecessary contact that comes with being a 5. He's going to fill out somewhat, really hard to predict how much. He isn't *that* skinny and it's more an allusion because of his extreme length

I honestly don't really think injuries are that size based. Some dudes are just injury prone and some aren't. Is there any solid numbers based evidence that bigger or taller players experience more injuries?
There are studies and its primarily weight based. I'd just want to know if there were any weird things like one leg a little longer than the other like with Oden. He's so smooth I doubt there are any issues like that.

The key is adding enough muscle to be functional and protect from injury and not add a ton of weight. I think Zinger likely added a bit too much weight. Its a weird balance I think.

The other thing is just guys getting under him trying to contest on his jumper... was fouled on a couple threes and I think it could be a problem.

You could argue injury stuff with Scoot or Ja too... small explosive guards are susceptible when they go in the air.

My internet doc opinion is officially "draft teh effs outta Wemby and Scoot".

Amen is probably my favorite top prospect. Not that I think he is the best (clearly Vic and then probably Scoot) but he's the most "fun".
Love wing sized pg types. Makes so many more lineups and advantages possible. Amen could end up consensus #3 unless Smith Jr., Whitehead, or Whitmore pop.

There are studies and its primarily weight based. I'd just want to know if there were any weird things like one leg a little longer than the other like with Oden. He's so smooth I doubt there are any issues like that.

The key is adding enough muscle to be functional and protect from injury and not add a ton of weight. I think Zinger likely added a bit too much weight. Its a weird balance I think.

The other thing is just guys getting under him trying to contest on his jumper... was fouled on a couple threes and I think it could be a problem.

You could argue injury stuff with Scoot or Ja too... small explosive guards are susceptible when they go in the air.

My internet doc opinion is officially "draft teh effs outta Wemby and Scoot".
I just wonder how much is based on off-season work. Obviously Rudy puts a ton of work into his body. He is very dedicated, not only getting body-building style bigger, but also injury prevention. Seeing as him and Rudy share the same agent, they may also share the same off-season trainers/follow similar in gym regimens.

Love wing sized pg types. Makes so many more lineups and advantages possible. Amen could end up consensus #3 unless Smith Jr., Whitehead, or Whitmore pop.
I dont see him being consensus #3 no matter what just because of the route he chose with OTE. There will be doubters who prefer the college route until an OTE guy shows they are legit in the NBA.

I just wonder how much is based on off-season work. Obviously Rudy puts a ton of work into his body. He is very dedicated, not only getting body-building style bigger, but also injury prevention. Seeing as him and Rudy share the same agent, they may also share the same off-season trainers/follow similar in gym regimens.
Not just work but Rudy eats really clean from what I understand. I would hope Wemby talks with Rudy because whatever he did worked so well... and you easily could have had the same issues with Rudy as a teenager.

I think hard smart work goes a long way.

The only interesting trade scenario for Victor would be the 2nd or 3rd team in the draft order trading up, and those teams are OKC and San Antonio and they are giving you their pick (so Thompson or Scoot) and like 4 other first round picks.

Losing breeds losing winning breeds winning so I say let’s keep on winning! I really don’t want to be Houston or Oklahoma City still in the turnstile after five years.
Actually, getting generational talents breeds winning.

We’ve been ‘winning’ for years, how’d that work out?

The only interesting trade scenario for Victor would be the 2nd or 3rd team in the draft order trading up, and those teams are OKC and San Antonio and they are giving you their pick (so Thompson or Scoot) and like 4 other first round picks.
If the Jazz end up with 3d pick would you offer that for no. 1? 3+ 4 picks? What about more? What if they ask for all the picks we got from CLE and MIN?

If the Jazz end up with 3d pick would you offer that for no. 1? 3+ 4 picks? What about more? What if they ask for all the picks we got from CLE and MIN?
Not sure I would do this
As good as Victor might be you need other very good players to win
LeBron is maybe best ever and he can't win by himself
Whoever has #1 this year will not give up Victor for anything though

Not sure where to put this thought that I’ve alluded to previously, but knowing that that Wemby/Scoot game undoubtedly produced a seismic shift in the tanking calculus of teams and that there will be competitive tanking going on, the Mitchell and Bogey trades look even worse.

We did not need any polished win-now types coming back in either deal and we got 3 collectively. Add in the report that the Jazz had an offer of one unprotected Laker pick for a bunch of our guys and it gets even stupider.

If the market isn’t already ****ed for the Jazz dumping vets, it absolutely will be a few weeks into the season when a couple of hopefuls decide to turn the gun on themselves in hopes of a better next life, thereby increasing the saturation of teams offloading vets and sending a market signal to buyers that the price to buy vets went down.

My advice to the Jazz is this: stop trying to squeeze every deal. Stop with this fantasy that culture now means anything in five years. It’s over. Stop ****ing around and make it impossible to be good. We are far too far from that in this environment.