What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Not sure where to put this thought that I’ve alluded to previously, but knowing that that Wemby/Scoot game undoubtedly produced a seismic shift in the tanking calculus of teams and that there will be competitive tanking going on, the Mitchell and Bogey trades look even worse.

We did not need any polished win-now types coming back in either deal and we got 3 collectively. Add in the report that the Jazz had an offer of one unprotected Laker pick for a bunch of our guys and it gets even stupider.

If the market isn’t already ****ed for the Jazz dumping vets, it absolutely will be a few weeks into the season when a couple of hopefuls decide to turn the gun on themselves in hopes of a better next life, thereby increasing the saturation of teams offloading vets and sending a market signal to buyers that the price to buy vets went down.

My advice to the Jazz is this: stop trying to squeeze every deal. Stop with this fantasy that culture now means anything in five years. It’s over. Stop ****ing around and make it impossible to be good. We are far too far from that in this environment.
I'm actually not too worried a bunch of teams join the tank race. I think there will be at most 2 other teams. Part of the reason is Bulls, Lakers (if there are injuries) don't own their own picks. I could see the Wiz or Charlotte start a serious tank but mostly on accident and injuries (if they came). Kings are desperate for progress.

I think what some of this does is makes teams like Houston, OKC, Indiana maybe lean in just a little more. SA should already be bad enough but maybe they offload Poeltl to not eff around. Orlando is another that could be bad again even though Franz looks good and Banchero should help. They don't have many healthy vets. There may be some jocking among that group. Without something semi-drastic I don't see how we get below 4 of those teams. Our range is 5-7... I'd make a move if we can to get to #5... a Conley/JC deal might be enough if you gift those minutes to THT or JB. I don't think their pride will let them do an obviously ****** trade that drains us of the talent necessary to get to 3/4.

Here's where I'd place Wemby and Scoot as best prospects since LeBron:

1. LeBron James
2. Greg Oden
3. Kevin Durant
4. Luka Doncic
5. Anthony Davis
6. Zion Williamson
7. Victor Wemanyama
8. Scoot Henderson
9. John Wall
10. Derrick Rose

Not sure where to put this thought that I’ve alluded to previously, but knowing that that Wemby/Scoot game undoubtedly produced a seismic shift in the tanking calculus of teams and that there will be competitive tanking going on, the Mitchell and Bogey trades look even worse.

We did not need any polished win-now types coming back in either deal and we got 3 collectively. Add in the report that the Jazz had an offer of one unprotected Laker pick for a bunch of our guys and it gets even stupider.

If the market isn’t already ****ed for the Jazz dumping vets, it absolutely will be a few weeks into the season when a couple of hopefuls decide to turn the gun on themselves in hopes of a better next life, thereby increasing the saturation of teams offloading vets and sending a market signal to buyers that the price to buy vets went down.

My advice to the Jazz is this: stop trying to squeeze every deal. Stop with this fantasy that culture now means anything in five years. It’s over. Stop ****ing around and make it impossible to be good. We are far too far from that in this environment.
I mean, I think the Bogey and Beverly deals are kind of proof they arent trying to squeeze everything.

It's hard to actually glean anything from what Utah says. They have lied all off-season. We wont know what is really happening until it happens.

Here's where I'd place Wemby and Scoot as best prospects since LeBron:

1. LeBron James
2. Greg Oden
3. Kevin Durant
4. Luka Doncic
5. Anthony Davis
6. Zion Williamson
7. Victor Wemanyama
8. Scoot Henderson
9. John Wall
10. Derrick Rose
Personally I'd place Wemby right up there after Lebron. We all know Doncic is a great NBA player but he was picked #3 in 2018 so wasn't even the consensus top guy coming into that draft.

Personally I'd place Wemby right up there after Lebron. We all know Doncic is a great NBA player but he was picked #3 in 2018 so wasn't even the consensus top guy coming into that draft.

I think the people who did not have Luka #1 are incredibly stupid. Thought it was incredibly obvious then. He was dominant in the Euroleague....it could not be more obvious that he was a great player. I don't care that he was white or chubby, those don't change my personal evaluation.

I'd move Wemby up if his shooting improves this seasons. Thus far, he's never had a season where he shot greater than 28% from 3 and his FT shooting hasn't been particularly good either. As impressive as his game was the other night, it was very abnormal compared to his typical performance. He shot the ball incredibly well and he got to a free throw line a ton. That has not been the case for his career up until this point. If those things stay constant, he'll move up. But I'm not overreacting to one game. The guys above him were truly special prospects. Vic is the most unique, but he has more to prove in order to be the "best".

Winning or losing depends entirely on the players on the floor. Two years ago, the Jazz were the best regular-season team in the league. Today they're a bottom 5 or 6 team. Also, winning culture comes from the players themselves. The players have to be competitive and have to want to win. Last season, some of the Jazz players checked out.
Well I'm not sure, but last time I checked, the coach, suspicious injuries and substitutions has a lot to do with tanking and losing. But I'm sure you're right, it's entirely the players on the floor.

Actually, getting generational talents breeds winning.

We’ve been ‘winning’ for years, how’d that work out?
Psst, Snyder never won a championship at any level. He was not a good coach!

Watch the Mitchell interview where he talks about going hard in Cleveland camp and the difference with Snyder and Utah!

Well I'm not sure, but last time I checked, the coach, suspicious injuries and substitutions has a lot to do with tanking and losing. But I'm sure you're right, it's entirely the players on the floor.
Its on the front office. Coach might play worse players over vets but that is in agreement with the FO wanting to see that player for evaluation. It was the front office in OKC that just said they were mothballing Al Horford after 20 games. Teams will not be able to pull that stuff this year... other teams will make so much noise about it and the league will intervene. The same thing happens with tampering allegations. If no one cares there is no investigation. Once teams file complaints in comes the league.

The front office has to move those players to allow the coach to play prospects. Injuries and load management only go so far (maybe you can squeeze 20 missed games for load management.... maybe.).

Its on the front office. Coach might play worse players over vets but that is in agreement with the FO wanting to see that player for evaluation. It was the front office in OKC that just said they were mothballing Al Horford after 20 games. Teams will not be able to pull that stuff this year... other teams will make so much noise about it and the league will intervene. The same thing happens with tampering allegations. If no one cares there is no investigation. Once teams file complaints in comes the league.

The front office has to move those players to allow the coach to play prospects. Injuries and load management only go so far (maybe you can squeeze 20 missed games for load management.... maybe.).
Well duh!

Wemby hasn't been bombing 3's today, but I almost find today more impressive. He's playing the right way, using his size to score and get to the line.

Wemby does the sweep move already. Lol! He's already hunting superstar calls.