What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Which of the top prospects are even still in the tournament now? I think just Brandon Miller, Anthony Black, and Jerace Walker? I think Jordan Hawkins and Colby Jones are worth watching still. Anyone else I'm forgetting?

I would have to agree that the overall impact of this draft class at the college level has been disappointing, although I'm not sure how it compares with the impact of past draft classes. Obviously some of that is due to top prospects choosing alternative routes to the NBA. I wonder if some of it is related to playing against older kids on average due to extended eligibility?
OK, so I just looked at the tournament impact from last year's top 10 picks as a comparison:
Paulo Banchero - Duke made it to the final four and Banchero put up big numbers
Chet Holmgren - Gonzag made it to the sweet 16 and Chet had pretty good numbers
Jabari Smith - Auburn lost in the second round. Jabari had one rally good game and one bad game.
Keegan Murray - Iowa was upset in the first round, but Keegan had a nice game
Jaden Ivey - Purdue loses in sweet 16, Jaden put up good numbers
Benedict Mathurin - Arizon loses in the sweet 16, Mathurin had a couple of huge games
Shaedon Sharpe - Didn't play in College
Dyson Daniels - Didn't play in College
Jeremy Sochan - Lost in the 2nd round, Sochan put up ok numbers
Johnny Davis - Lost in the 2nd round, Johnny put up big numbers

OK, so I just looked at the tournament impact from last year's top 10 picks as a comparison:
Paulo Banchero - Duke made it to the final four and Banchero put up big numbers
Chet Holmgren - Gonzag made it to the sweet 16 and Chet had pretty good numbers
Jabari Smith - Auburn lost in the second round. Jabari had one rally good game and one bad game.
Keegan Murray - Iowa was upset in the first round, but Keegan had a nice game
Jaden Ivey - Purdue loses in sweet 16, Jaden put up good numbers
Benedict Mathurin - Arizon loses in the sweet 16, Mathurin had a couple of huge games
Shaedon Sharpe - Didn't play in College
Dyson Daniels - Didn't play in College
Jeremy Sochan - Lost in the 2nd round, Sochan put up ok numbers
Johnny Davis - Lost in the 2nd round, Johnny put up big numbers

One of the things about this year's draft is that it is extremely freshman heavy. Last year, there were 15 upperclassman from NCAA drafted in the first round. In the top 30 in tankathon's mock draft, there are only 5 upperclassman and the highest ranked upperclassman is Kris Murray ranked at 18. So we're really missing the upper classman types like Keegan Murray, Mathurin, and Ivey who are also the best players in college basketball.

Maybe why they aren't pulling out all the stops to tank, avg draft past #1. Hopefully not sub avg draft with 3 picks

It's possible the Jazz are just comfortable with the players in the 10 - 15 rage, guys like Wallace, Hendricks, Dick, Sensabaugh, Jackson, Hood-Schifino. I would have thought they'd be chasing Cam Whitmore and Jarace Walker though.

One of the things about this year's draft is that it is extremely freshman heavy. Last year, there were 15 upperclassman from NCAA drafted in the first round. In the top 30 in tankathon's mock draft, there are only 5 upperclassman and the highest ranked upperclassman is Kris Murray ranked at 18. So we're really missing the upper classman types like Keegan Murray, Mathurin, and Ivey who are also the best players in college basketball.
Most of the guys you mentioned were Sophomores, who didn't play much their Freshman year because of covid. The point still stands though, as they were at least a year older.

I think when comparing last year to this year the team success result was actually really similar. This year 3 of the top players have teams moving on past the second round, last year there were only 4. I think the big difference that stuck out to me is that last year's top players were putting up way more points than this year's top prospects.

Yeah he is terrified to have the ball on the offensive end. I've watched him multiple games pass up wide open 3 after wide open 3. To the point of instantly dribbling inside the line to then pass it, almost to say "oh yeah, no, that wasnt a wide open 3 there.......and I was just looking for a better shot".

I'd also argue against the idea he is the best defender in the draft. Really good? Yep. But Wallace and Walker are both right there or thereabouts in different aspects and are significantly better all around players as well.
Walsh has insanely long arms. I'd be interested to see if they were above 7'3. Hes certainly one of the top defenders I've seen this year.

The No Ceilings main guy think he should be a first round pick this year. He also said he would love him in Utah because Utah would have low expectations, so he clearly isn't too knowledgeable

It's possible the Jazz are just comfortable with the players in the 10 - 15 rage, guys like Wallace, Hendricks, Dick, Sensabaugh, Jackson, Hood-Schifino. I would have thought they'd be chasing Cam Whitmore and Jarace Walker though.
Lauri is out with back soreness tonight... guessing they sit him the Portland game. The tank's last stand is this week.

He REALLY jumps out on paper IMO....but he also looks filthy on tape. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up rising to middle of the first round, I'm honestly confused why he isn't already there.
Some of the more nerdy sites have him in the mix. I'd consider him with our second best first rounder depending on which way we go with our first pick... like if you took Keyonte George or NSJ (yuck) then prolly not

I honestly don’t know what to make of the projected lottery talent mostly looking remarkably blah. It is certainly sub-optimal.

I honestly don’t know what to make of the projected lottery talent mostly looking remarkably blah. It is certainly sub-optimal.
Not sure it has ever been more difficult to project these dudes into the NBA. Just an extremely ugly product, looks nothing like the professional game.

You almost completely chuck the on court performance part of it. Draft on skills and size and hope for the best.

Teams that scout the best are going to make out like bandits (outside of health and injury issues) because somebody is going to fall through the cracks.