What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Y’all wildn lately

Walsh isn’t a 1st rounder and may not even be an NBA player

Jared Vanderbilt was a pretty hopeless offensive player at UK and seems to have found a role as a backup energy player. I think he can play some minutes somewhere. Come to think of it, Mathisse Thybulle hasn't really developed offensively either.

Last edited:
Going forward, the Jazz are going to need an elite on-ball guard. I'm not sure they're getting one in this draft. Keyonte, NSJ, JHS and Cason have all been disappointing in different ways, imo.

It really wasn’t… they lost by 1 after leading almost the whole game. If we are good enough to beat them even at a weakened state… we are likely not falling to the range where we have any sort of good odds.

We just aren’t ****** enough and are apparently too proud to resort to levels of tankiness to get where we need to.

Again, we started 2 rookies and THT with the prime bench scoring coming from Tec. Not sure what more we can actually do sort of kidnapping Lauri.

At this point you just have to really hope against all logic that these close game performances are a real, tangible thing. And not just season to season randomness. Because that’s the difference between top 7 odds and where we find ourselves now.

What a bummer if we are not discernibly better next year, record wise or otherwise. Just because we miss out on a half dozen dice roll wins that we ended up getting this year, the worst possible time.

Lauri is a far better player in the clutch than Donovan Mitchell, mainly because you can't drape a 6'7" wing on him to neutralize him. Without Conley and Mitchell, opposing guards aren't scoring on us at will in the last two minutes, and Kessler + two other 7 footers stops the 5 out small ball bull**** team have run at us in the past. I don't know if the Jazz will remain historically great going forward, but they are built to be pretty darn good, especially if we retain Clarkson for the near future.

His free throw rate is good. My calculation for future NBA 3 point percentage is the college FT percentage divided by 2 minus 3.3. I think he would be a 35.2% 3 point shooter.
Ok now watch him move on the court with the ball or how he acts when he's wide open from 3

What happened to coach Cal? It seems like just yesterday he was coaching an entire starting lineup of lotto picks. Guys like Booker, Davis, Cousins, etc Now? He’s coaching one stud guard, a poor man’s Drez, and a bunch of forgettable college players.
His guys chose ignite instead

It's ugly but maybe full time professionals could help him.
Dude was a 5 star recruit. I'm sure he has had full time professionala help him.

I love him, but he's too uncoordinated at this point. He needs to go back and prove he can touch the ball without having a panic attack.

Which of the top prospects are even still in the tournament now? I think just Brandon Miller, Anthony Black, and Jerace Walker? I think Jordan Hawkins and Colby Jones are worth watching still. Anyone else I'm forgetting?

I would have to agree that the overall impact of this draft class at the college level has been disappointing, although I'm not sure how it compares with the impact of past draft classes. Obviously some of that is due to top prospects choosing alternative routes to the NBA. I wonder if some of it is related to playing against older kids on average due to extended eligibility?

Last edited:
#11 and #12 right now. Take some spins on Tankathon, I bet it won't take long before Jazz get into the top 4. I just jumped up to #2 on my fourth or fifth spin.

Also interesting to look at the bottom of the first round. Picks #26-30 are all set to be sent elsewhere. That is what teams trading all those future firsts are planning to have happen when they make those moves. If you trade everything but end up just giving away mediocre picks anyway, it's not too bad. The Wolves being in the lottery right now after one of those big moves is huge for us.

Which of the top prospects are even still in the tournament now? I think just Brandon Miller, Anthony Black, and Jerace Walker? I think Jordan Hawkins and Colby Jones are worth watching still. Anyone else I'm forgetting?

I would have to agree that the overall impact of this draft class at the college level has been disappointing, although I'm not sure how it compares with the impact of past draft classes. Obviously some of that is due to top prospects choosing alternative routes to the NBA. I wonder if some of it is related to playing against older kids on average due to extended eligibility?
Yes, a lot of it is everyone is 22+ years old I'm college

What happened to coach Cal? It seems like just yesterday he was coaching an entire starting lineup of lotto picks. Guys like Booker, Davis, Cousins, etc Now? He’s coaching one stud guard, a poor man’s Drez, and a bunch of forgettable college players.
A lot of the high recruits he has gotten the last two years just haven't planned out. Chris Livingston this year was a big bust, Damion Collins last year. Plus he entered the transfer portal game so that has pushed down some of the high ranked guys who aren't as ready.

He has 5 top 20 guys next season though.

I think it's a starter rotation/role player draft. I'm sure someone outside the top 5 will emerge as an all star at some point, but it won't be an obvious star development path.

Maybe why they aren't pulling out all the stops to tank, avg draft past #1. Hopefully not sub avg draft with 3 picks

Ok now watch him move on the court with the ball or how he acts when he's wide open from 3
Yeah he is terrified to have the ball on the offensive end. I've watched him multiple games pass up wide open 3 after wide open 3. To the point of instantly dribbling inside the line to then pass it, almost to say "oh yeah, no, that wasnt a wide open 3 there.......and I was just looking for a better shot".

I'd also argue against the idea he is the best defender in the draft. Really good? Yep. But Wallace and Walker are both right there or thereabouts in different aspects and are significantly better all around players as well.

Yeah he is terrified to have the ball on the offensive end. I've watched him multiple games pass up wide open 3 after wide open 3. To the point of instantly dribbling inside the line to then pass it, almost to say "oh yeah, no, that wasnt a wide open 3 there.......and I was just looking for a better shot".

I'd also argue against the idea he is the best defender in the draft. Really good? Yep. But Wallace and Walker are both right there or thereabouts in different aspects and are significantly better all around players as well.
If we had an early second I'd take him... or maybe with the philly pick. I think he can turn into a pj tucker just by confidently shooting the corner three. He's a very good defender. I also have wondered on the coaching in Arkansas. I think he may be an anti-three guy. Maybe they just all suck so much at shooting he has told them just drive. That team is so weird.