What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Hendo is great on paper and I still like him a lot, there's still something off about him when I watch him. I'm not sure he has a great feel for the game, but he has an easy path to being a role player. I think shooting will be fine, not great, but enough to get by. Defensively is where he will make his money.

Keyonte/Hendo is kind of a contradiction in the way I usually evaluate. Keyonte is kinda the opposite where he's not amazing on paper, but he has that bonafide hooper gene that I think Hendricks is lacking. I have them both around the same tier and wouldn't be made with either.....but it's a tough decision for me.
Hendo is a tools upside player, but if you actually watch him you can tell he has limited upside. Filipowski is much more talented overall.

What? Have you actually watched him in real games? This is a super weird statement. The guy who makes great reads on when to help doesn't have great feel for the game? He's not making those slick Walker passes but he moves the ball very quickly. When I watched him I thought he was simply executing the game plan to the way the coach wanted.

But cuz he's not out there doing And 1 **** and taking bad shots he's not a hooper... okay.

Do better.

I have. He has some bad misses, his dribbling is not good, not amazing touch. There's some clunkiness there and I wouldn't describe his game as smooth. I feel like when his game goes off script it doesn't go super well for him.

Do better than to make up fake words and argue against them.

Hendo is a tools upside player, but if you actually watch him you can tell he has limited upside. Filipowski is much more talented overall.

I don't totally disagree....I wouldn't say Filip is "much more talented" though. I think the difference between your and my opinion on Flip is that the awful shooting from 3 and the rim matters to me where it doesn't seem to matter at all to you. I do see it with the in between stuff for Flip, but he has major question marks for me still.

I don't totally disagree....I wouldn't say Filip is "much more talented" though. I think the difference between your and my opinion on Flip is that the awful shooting from 3 and the rim matters to me where it doesn't seem to matter at all to you. I do see it with the in between stuff for Flip, but he has major question marks for me still.
You're just way too over focused on shooting numbers from a 19 year old who has beautiful shooting form and a high level of coordination for his size.

You're just way too over focused on shooting numbers from a 19 year old who has beautiful shooting form and a high level of coordination for his size.

And I think you're way too dismissive of awful performance. Filip's shooting numbers aren't just bad, they are about as bad as it gets for an NBA prospect. It's not a yes/no question as to whether or not these numbers matter. The worse you are the worse the chances are of being average at good at those things in the NBA. It's a sliding scale and Filip is near the very bottom when it comes to finishing around the basket and 3 point shooting.

And I think you're way too dismissive of awful performance. Filip's shooting numbers aren't just bad, they are about as bad as it gets for an NBA prospect. It's not a yes/no question as to whether or not these numbers matter. The worse you are the worse the chances are of being average at good at those things in the NBA. It's a sliding scale and Filip is near the very bottom when it comes to finishing around the basket and 3 point shooting.
They were bad and yet he was still the best player on a Duke team that achieved a lot of success despite a lot of the non-Flip players being injured or being terrible early on.

The man carried his ****ing team to a ACC title over Virginia while scoring over 1/3rd of his team's points on a sprained ankle.

They were bad and yet he was still the best player on a Duke team that achieved a lot of success despite a lot of the non-Flip players being injured or being terrible early on.

The man carried his ****ing team to a ACC title over Virginia while scoring over 1/3rd of his team's points on a sprained ankle.

It was a great game. You seem hyper fixated on this one game. I don't judge players from one game I judge them from as much as I can.

There was some impressive stuff for sure, does not change the fact that his shooting at the rim and 3 point line were downright horrendous. If you don't care at all, I guess I can't convince you. But you're also not going to convince me to just completely ignore two very important indicators that I use to evaluate every prospect.

How many Freshman were even good enough to be the man on their team? Hardly any in this draft class. It's basically just Brandon Miller. Filipowski was that good, on Duke, on a team where a lot of the players were massive disappointments for most of the season. Context matters. The dude was putting a Freshman heavy Duke team on his back. Miller at least had a ton of help on a loaded veteran roster.

It was a great game. You seem hyper fixated on this one game. I don't judge players from one game I judge them from as much as I can.

There was some impressive stuff for sure, does not change the fact that his shooting at the rim and 3 point line were downright horrendous. If you don't care at all, I guess I can't convince you. But you're also not going to convince me to just completely ignore two very important indicators that I use to evaluate every prospect.
I have context. You just have numbers. If you want to ignore context, go for it. That's what separates people who can and can't do this.

I have. He has some bad misses, his dribbling is not good, not amazing touch. There's some clunkiness there and I wouldn't describe his game as smooth. I feel like when his game goes off script it doesn't go super well for him.

Do better than to make up fake words and argue against them.
Feel for the game and hooper genes are the words you used… just weird. He does not go off script… doesn’t mean he lacks feel. On defense where it’s primarily about reaction and feel for the game he makes great rotations, protects the rim, etc.

I made up no fake words… you may as well have said Flip is gonna be good cuz he’s a baller and has that dawg in him. He has some kinks to work out but the biggest issue I saw when he played was he wasn’t as assertive as I would like but it was pretty clear he was running things the way he was asked to… not sure that it’s lacking feel for the game. Assist number aren’t amazing but if you watched him in actual games (not accusing here just stating it has to be more than YouTube analysis) he moves the ball quickly. With guys that lack feel there is more thinking and less ball movement. He’s decisive and I think it’s a strength and demonstrates feel but sure he I haven’t analyzed his dna to see if he has a hooper gene… haven’t checked the X-rays to see if he has that dawg in him… haven’t seen if he has the “it” factor.

His shooting form is fine… calm down. Lots of guys have solid form and aren’t good shooters.

I have context. You just have numbers. If you want to ignore context, go for it. That's what separates people who can and can't do this.

Lol.....Yeah sure. I have no context for these numbers. I guess can just totally determine a player's NBA success by the narrative of their college season.

What separates me and you is that you make up fake numbers in your head and try to lecture people on those made up things. Yeah, I'm not going to forget the time you tried to lecture me on "the modern NBA game" haha.

Still hilarious how quickly people are to write of Amen/Ausuar because they played in a new league (that they dominated) and didnt make a ton of 3's. The 3's will come. They seem to be elite level work ethic players.

Still hilarious how quickly people are to write of Amen/Ausuar because they played in a new league (that they dominated) and didnt make a ton of 3's. The 3's will come. They seem to be elite level work ethic players.
I’d take them in the top 7… there is middle ground between writing them off and and acknowledging the uncertainty there.

Back