What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Have the people bagging on Scoot even seen him play? Sure he isn't tall, but he probably isn't much different in size than Donovan Mitchell. Imagine Mitchell when he came into the league, but add better court awareness and vision, better passing, and more unselfish. Their bodies don't appear much different in build except Scoot might be a little more cut. Scoot's shooting is at least as good as Donovan was coming into the league. It is fair to say you don't want to give up Lauri and/or a bunch of first round picks, but don't pretend Scoot is either Muggsy Bogues or Spud Webb height or even just terrible.
I've also seen the Westbrook thing... He has some of that prime Russ explosiveness... but he also makes great reads and can play in the midrange in a way Russ didn't. I also think if the shooting does come he will be so hard to stay in front of and will just be amazing. He may be a glorified Eric Bledsoe if he can't shoot though... I understand some of the skepticism, but this is the type of risk I'd like to see for us.

I've also seen the Westbrook thing... He has some of that prime Russ explosiveness... but he also makes great reads and can play in the midrange in a way Russ didn't. I also think if the shooting does come he will be so hard to stay in front of and will just be amazing. He may be a glorified Eric Bledsoe if he can't shoot though... I understand some of the skepticism, but this is the type of risk I'd like to see for us.
i'd gladly take the risk at 3. i wouldn't take him over miller, however.

Dude… people are legit saying we should run to the podium to draft GG at 9 not 16 lmao. The hype train is unreal on here right now.
Other than OL who’s saying that?
If my team were getting blown out by 20 pts in the 1st half of games, I'd be going bat **** too.
The way I see it is if all you do is get down big in a ton of first halves after a while you get used to it like breathing. The fact that he’s crying by years end, that’s a good thing

I've been watching the league a long time. If an 18 year-old prospect is good enough to be a high first-round pick, there is a much better-than-average likelihood that this player will become an All Star. There was a period of time, before the one-and-done era, where many of the best players normally did come directly out of high school.

Aside from generational guys like Lebron and Luka, examples include: Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Amare Stoudemire, Jermaine O'neale, Dwight Howard, Devin Booker, Josh Smith, Andrew Bynum....Al Jefferson wasn't an All Star, but still a good pick. Jonathan Bender and Shaun Livingston were taken out by injuries. Darius Miles and Sebastian Telfair were busts.

I think if a guy is good enough to be an NBA lottery pick at 18 y.o., that actually matters. GG and Bilal are in the lottery discussion, despite this being a relatively strong and deep draft, and I think that does bode well for them. They're going to look like completely different players in 3 or 4 years.

Here’s the problem with your statement GG is not good enough to be a lottery pick. He should be picks in the late teens or early twenties.

Its just so obvious that the right move for Portland is to move Dame while he can get a huge premium. That deal gonna be rough in a couple years... their path to build a contender around him is so narrow... but no one in their front office gonna push it and Dame ain't asking out.

They've tried CJ, Powell, Grant, 3 and D wings, and its all kinda meh... unless they can get like AD I'm not sure they can ever build a contender. Maybe they take Scoot and wait but man that seems like a weird thing to try and make work.

I do the Scoot deal sooner than later in order to do another one on draft day. And I would probably make 1 or 2 trades down to get a player you are really happy with. In my mind that would be Ausur. So in total the cost would be draft capital and players to acquire Scoot minus the draft capital and players acquired to move down in the draft (maybe you do two trades down). I trust that Danny could finagle these trades where the Jazz lose maybe just a pick and a good player to get Ausur and maybe add another good pick in the 2023 draft.

If Scoot is 6'2 he's the biggest looking 6'2 guard I've seen in a while.

View attachment 14466

Dude's hands looks massive
probably under 6'2" without shoes. could have measured so folks would know for sure, but he chose not to because he knows how tall he is, and that 6'1.25" number wouldn't have looked very attractive. he is the one top 3 prospect that could have benefitted from measuring if he really were much bigger than 6'2" - there is a reason he sat it out.

probably under 6'2" without shoes. could have measured so folks would know for sure, but he chose not to because he knows how tall he is, and that 6'1.25" number wouldn't have looked very attractive. he is the one top 3 prospect that could have benefitted from measuring if he really were much bigger than 6'2" - there is a reason he sat it out.
Or he just didn't feel like going and he wants to control where he goes by giving only teams he likes that info

Here’s the problem with your statement GG is not good enough to be a lottery pick. He should be picks in the late teens or early twenties.

I disagree. I think he gets drafted in the 10 - 15 range. Some teams are going to value him more than Wallace and George. It could be smoke, but it sounds like he's solidly in play at #11 for Orlando.

GG was a 36% catch-and-shoot 3pt shooter as an 18 y.o. in the SEC. Filter out the wild heaves, and he's actually not bad.

I actually agree that this is a sign of life for GG. But this is a double edge sword because it shows that the shot creation stuff (which everyone lauds him for) is indeed awful.

If GG makes it in the NBA, I believe it will be as a spot up shoot/guy who attacks closeouts on offense and returns to his roots as a hustle guy/defender. He will not make it as some kind of extreme bucket getter, especially if he forgoes development on the other parts of his game that were also terrible.

Jazz need a Whitmore, jarace, gg, Hawkins workout death match. Maybe throw Ausar and gradey in there as well.