What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

I think Hendricks will bust, so if he's the one available of the consensus top 9 I'd rather trade down if some team in the late lottery likes him.

I don’t really see how he busts. The low end version of him is a really nice 3 and D player.
Probably one of the least bustable players in the lotto.

I don’t really see how he busts. The low end version of him is a really nice 3 and D player.
Any player can bust. What is it, 70% of draft picks 4-10 end up below league average?

I randomly looked at a draft year and 6/10 were below average. I looked at 2005. Only 4 players drafted in top 10 were above average according to BR's Box plus minus, Bogut, Williams, Paul, and Bynum. Lots of MEH everywhere else. Marvin Willaims, Felton, Martell Webster, Charlie Villanova (RIP Hot Rod), Channing Frye, Ike Diogu. I guess if you get Channing Frye with Hendricks you're good with half a dozen years right at or just above league average, but that's his ceiling, not his floor.

Any player can bust. What is it, 70% of draft picks 4-10 end up below league average?

I randomly looked at a draft year and 6/10 were below average. I looked at 2005. Only 4 players drafted in top 10 were above average according to BR's Box plus minus, Bogut, Williams, Paul, and Bynum. Lots of MEH everywhere else. Marvin Willaims, Felton, Martell Webster, Charlie Villanova (RIP Hot Rod), Channing Frye, Ike Diogu. I guess if you get Channing Frye with Hendricks you're good with half a dozen years right at or just above league average, but that's his ceiling, not his floor.

His ceiling is Channing Frye? Lol dear god.

I picture him spending most of his time in the G-League next year.
Nah. Not on this team. He is 18 and we are going to develop whoever we draft, whether they are ready or not.

If we finish bottom 10 we keep our 2024 draft pick, right? So, what would be the point of playing any of our 1st round picks in the G-Leage all year?

I think this draft is going to be one of the best ones of the past decade. I think 7-8 guys in the top-10 end up above league average.
The 2016 and 2017 drafts are the only two I can see that have 5 players considered above average, and the 2017 draft counts Jonathan Isaac above average. And even then, some of the players are posting positive numbers not on their original team, like Markkenen. I'm just saying that historically speaking, at a minimum 4 players will not live up to league average and of the six that do, several will become average or better on their second team. I feel Hendricks will very likely be in one of those two categories.

Black is in Houston for a workout today. If we’re talking about super ideal trade up scenarios for us him going 4 is one of them.
Houston should be looking at trading 4 to Orlando for 6 and 11. They could resell 6 and 11 for vets that surround Harden which seems to be the direction they want to go.

Or maybe they draft black at 6 after trading back.

probably 14 or 15 but I highly doubt 10
This draft is deep and q lot of teams are buying in. The value of the 14th vs the 10th just isn't tremendously different.

Jerami Grant was traded to Portland last year for a late first.

I just see getting 2 for 1 in this particular draft as being more valuable than normal.