What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Yeah so he could be Lauri Markkanen on the cavs he can sit in the corner and shoot threes and theoretically be a better defender than Lauri was those types of players often don’t look great in the G league I don’t think he’s ever gonna be a star but I think he could for sure be a solid 5th player in a starting line up much like Markkanen was on the cavs if we got him at 16 instead of 9 I think that’s what everyone would be hoping for so let’s just pretend we got key at 9 and him at 16 because we aren’t sure any of the players between those picks are any better than keyonte is rn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, because Lauri had ball IQ that Hendricks doesnt. That's the issue everyone missed. You think you can just put a 3pt shooter out there and they are automatically going to translate. doesnt work that way.

What? Are you on crack? BRandon Miller doesnt exist?
Quite the overreation (your schtick when it comes to hendricks) for missing one dude. He averaged more than Anthony black, jerace walker, cason wallace, kobe bufkin, keyonte george, grady dick etc all while doing it more efficiently and with less touches than them dudes.

No, because Lauri had ball IQ that Hendricks doesnt. That's the issue everyone missed. You think you can just put a 3pt shooter out there and they are automatically going to translate. doesnt work that way.

And that’s gonna come with playing experience and time while it sucks he’s not ready right now but saying at this point in his career that he’s a total bust is just stupid

I will give you credit I respect your Taylor hate posts because you didn’t like him from the start so your vindicated at least a little bit but I still feel like it’s a little to early to count him out yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, a freshman averaging 15 PPG isn’t something to sneeze at.
But then we see how it has translated so far.

sneeze.gif

But then we see how it has translated so far.

sneeze.gif
I haven't. I have barely seen him at all unfortunately. I have seen that the minutes and touches from college haven't translated though for sure.

Last edited:
Missing the entire summer league and being injured will definitely put you behind the curve.
This!!!

Guys... give him a second to figure it out. Hardy said he wouldn't just give the rookies minutes if they weren't deserving. Opportunity is huge in the league.

Ochai is a prime example. I was screaming game after game that he wasn't on the court the first half of last season. It seems like he has figured it out. There is a lot to like about Hendricks intangibles.

Taylor might be closer to a Patrick Williams then any of the JJJ comps. One interesting thing with him on the Lauri comparison front is that he got a lot of dunks and threes last year... just like Lauri. Its an interesting trait to get both for a big.

I am not quite sure why so many are eager to write him off. He is still long pf with some serious shooting potential that could grow into a small ball 5 type. In a year if he looks like he does now then by all means pass some definitive judgement.

Ochai is evidence as to why it’s a concern, not the other way around.
I see the Ochai stuff and I think people forget that Ochai was a 22 yo rookie and Taylor is a 19 yo rookie.

What’s wrong with Ochai?

The reason why he was in the gleague is because he was not good, and he's still not very good. TH is a LOT younger than Ochai, so it's not 1:1....but I think they are similar in the sense that even their biggest supporters imagine them as role players.

It was a statement about Ochai being bad more than it is about Taylor. Ochai is rocking 50 TS% with still questionable (yet improved) defense. He's not the beacon of hope for anyone.
I do think Ochai has touched the ball more and had a great rebounding game the other night. I think his 3 point shooting is better than he has shot it thus far this year. I think the problem I had with people last year was translating what he was doing as a rookie and using it as some big indicator of potential. I think he can be a fine 3 and D player that occasionally makes a straight line drive and will look like prime Lebron in transition but look like Royce O' Neale in the halfcourt. I just think he needs to be told to focus on the important things and forget about his on ball stuff. Everytime I see him run a pick and roll or try to score off the dribble I know its not gonna end well...

And that is the similarity I see with Taylor. I think he should work on handle and passing as its real bad... but his focus needs to be shooting (off of some motion, pick and pop, and spot up) and learning how to set screens and roll. Defense obviously... but the point is to cut out some of this nonsense you might think you need to be a star and really perfect the things you show the most promise in. In the lone G League game I will likely ever watch I saw far too much watching and not enough involvement in the screen game.

I do think Ochai has touched the ball more and had a great rebounding game the other night. I think his 3 point shooting is better than he has shot it thus far this year. I think the problem I had with people last year was translating what he was doing as a rookie and using it as some big indicator of potential. I think he can be a fine 3 and D player that occasionally makes a straight line drive and will look like prime Lebron in transition but look like Royce O' Neale in the halfcourt. I just think he needs to be told to focus on the important things and forget about his on ball stuff. Everytime I see him run a pick and roll or try to score off the dribble I know its not gonna end well...

And that is the similarity I see with Taylor. I think he should work on handle and passing as its real bad... but his focus needs to be shooting (off of some motion, pick and pop, and spot up) and learning how to set screens and roll. Defense obviously... but the point is to cut out some of this nonsense you might think you need to be a star and really perfect the things you show the most promise in. In the lone G League game I will likely ever watch I saw far too much watching and not enough involvement in the screen game.

I agree with all of this. My post was just to say, it doesn't make sense to say "he's just like Ochai and that's great". If you're optimistic about TH, it should be more along the lines of "TH is different than Ochai and this is why".

I agree with all of this. My post was just to say, it doesn't make sense to say "he's just like Ochai and that's great". If you're optimistic about TH, it should be more along the lines of "TH is different than Ochai and this is why".
Fo sho... and I wasn't trying to disagree... I get going sometimes and it doesn't always end up a direct response to the actual item of discussion.