What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

If I made an overreaction redraft based on current performance and potential, I'd probably go:

Wemby
Ausar
George
Miller
Bilal
Wallace
Lively
Amen
Black
Hawkins
Podz
Scoot

I think the passing that we really didnt even know would be this good just elevates George's potential to another level. I think the scoring will come at a high level since his stroke is so nice and he can get anywhere on the court with the ball, but if he can add 8-10 APG he could become an All-star level guy. Scoot gets penalized a bit too much here but he has been trash.

Drafting Hendricks is such a headscratcher when you think about it in retrospect. On the day of the draft your GM goes out and says - well yah... he was our 9th ranked player(i.e. they were hoping someone else would be there) and we were considering drafting Keyonte there...

Then FA/trade season comes and you trade for a player at Hendricks' spot... then keep pretty much everyone that could take minutes from him on the team. Pre-season comes and he's barely playing... The season comes and he's gone to the GLeague...

To me this looks like from the get go there was a certain lack of trust and belief that Hendricks is a great prospect who should be playing. Which begs the question... why did we draft him? It's just so... damn.... weird.

I didnt mean to bounce on you that hard, so apologies for that. Sometimes I get overzealous for sure, but its just me picking your brain to try and understand why you see things differently.

I probably should focus on my delivery a bit better.
Great post

If I made an overreaction redraft based on current performance and potential, I'd probably go:

Wemby
Ausar
George
Miller
Bilal
Wallace
Lively
Amen
Black
Hawkins
Podz
Scoot

I think the passing that we really didnt even know would be this good just elevates George's potential to another level. I think the scoring will come at a high level since his stroke is so nice and he can get anywhere on the court with the ball, but if he can add 8-10 APG he could become an All-star level guy. Scoot gets penalized a bit too much here but he has been trash.
I like your re-draft. Looks about right to me.

Drafting Hendricks is such a headscratcher when you think about it in retrospect. On the day of the draft your GM goes out and says - well yah... he was our 9th ranked player(i.e. they were hoping someone else would be there) and we were considering drafting Keyonte there...

Then FA/trade season comes and you trade for a player at Hendricks' spot... then keep pretty much everyone that could take minutes from him on the team. Pre-season comes and he's barely playing... The season comes and he's gone to the GLeague...

To me this looks like from the get go there was a certain lack of trust and belief that Hendricks is a great prospect who should be playing. Which begs the question... why did we draft him? It's just so... damn.... weird.
Agreed.

I have an alternate theory. Maybe the FO and scouts disagreed with the internet analysts and saw him as more raw than we thought.

If so, all of what you said makes sense.

Really dont get how any of this is weird. You dont draft rookies for what they do in year 1.

The only thing weird about drafting him is that he wasnt that good of a prospect.

Like if the Jazz never traded for Collins and didnt sign anyone, Hendricks would still not be playing. The Jazz would just play Samanic minutes. The Collins trade and Hendricks draft pick have nothing to do with each other. Collins doesnt prevent Hendricks from playing. Hendricks prevents Hendricks from playing.

Really dont get how any of this is weird. You dont draft rookies for what they do in year 1.

The only thing weird about drafting him is that he wasnt that good of a prospect.
I know we are not drafting him for his rookie year, but still... this is not like he's some late 1st(he's a top 10 pick in what was supposed to be a good draft) and I guess I just expected him to be much more ready and his transition much more straighforward. And it seems like they expected him to struggle(or not be as ready) from the get go... Just weird.

I know we are not drafting him for his rookie year, but still... this is not like he's some late 1st(he's a top 10 pick in what was supposed to be a good draft) and I guess I just expected him to be much more ready and his transition much more straighforward. And it seems like they expected him to struggle(or not be as ready) from the get go... Just weird.
He was the best player on the board. It’s not this hard. It’s a long term bet but you hope they surprise early.

Because the Jazz want him to play SF, not PF or small ball center. He would be infinitely more comfortable in those positions, but the Jazz are going to take the 19 year old and train him to be a mismatch. This is going to be hard for him, but is the right thing to do.

If everything goes as planned Hendricks wouldn't overlap Collins at all.

Additionally, Jazz fans have been spoiled by having a small run of Rookies that killed it their first year with Donovan, Kessler, Keyonte, and to a small extent, Ochai. That isn't how this all normally works. Most of the time it looks more like Lyles and Grayson Allen.