What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

He was one of the best off the dribble shooters in the class. It's going to take time. He will get there

He wasn’t though….the numbers I’m looking at has him at 0.92 PPS on pull-ups which is about middle of of the pack. He’s legitimately one of the worst “on paper” first round picks I can remember. I mean look at this page. His nickname should be “Red Sea”.

I agree that it will take time. Well, it would have taken time for him to be a decent college player. NBA is a different league lmao.

He wasn’t though….the numbers I’m looking at has him at 0.92 PPS on pull-ups which is about middle of of the pack. He’s legitimately one of the worst “on paper” first round picks I can remember. I mean look at this page. His nickname should be “Red Sea”.

I agree that it will take time. Well, it would have taken time for him to be a decent college player. NBA is a different league lmao.
Hood-Schifino took a staggering 74.2% of his jump shots this past season off the dribble, which ranked in the 97th percentile in frequency, per Synergy. It’s not just that he likes taking those shots, though; he’s really good at them as well. Hood-Schifino ranked in the 72nd percentile on jump shots off the dribble, per Synergy. His ability to create space for himself both in the mid-range and from beyond the arc lets him take advantage of the openings that even veteran point guards often struggle with:

This is the dumbest list.

For one thing it list his wingspan as a negative (even has two minus signs).

He measured at 6'6 with a 6'10 wingspan. Is that a negative to you? It's overwhelmingly a positive.

This only confirms exactly what I was saying. It clearly states that he has high frequency in pullups, but his efficiency on those pullups is good but not great. These are synergy numbers, which are the exact numbers that the article uses. See for yourself if you think that grades out to being one of the best when you compare him to other draft prospects.

View: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fycsUVergK17rfORWJNXjIQ4x6FE8ZTFnjDgK6wg9bs/edit#gid=0

This is the dumbest list.

For one thing it list his wingspan as a negative (even has two minus signs).

He measured at 6'6 with a 6'10 wingspan. Is that a negative to you? It's overwhelmingly a positive.

OK....what about every other statistical weakness? He has no statistical strength, but several areas that are just horrible. You'll be hard pressed to find a first round pick with a TS% below 50%, PER below 15, and BPM below 1. Like I said, he is one of the worst first round prospects on paper I have ever seen. On top of that, his shot profile was horrendous. Extremely low percentage of shots around the rim and free throw rate. JHS being a high draft pick never made sense then or now.

This only confirms exactly what I was saying. It clearly states that he has high frequency in pullups, but his efficiency on those pullups is good but not great. These are synergy numbers, which are the exact numbers that the article uses. See for yourself if you think that grades out to being one of the best when you compare him to other draft prospects.

View: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fycsUVergK17rfORWJNXjIQ4x6FE8ZTFnjDgK6wg9bs/edit#gid=0

OK....what about every other statistical weakness? He has no statistical strength, but several areas that are just horrible. You'll be hard pressed to find a first round pick with a TS% below 50%, PER below 15, and BPM below 1. Like I said, he is one of the worst first round prospects on paper I have ever seen. On top of that, his shot profile was horrendous. Extremely low percentage of shots around the rim and free throw rate. JHS being a high draft pick never made sense then or now.

Yeah, it's one of the best. Frequency is a factor. I didnt say he was the most efficient (even though he is still one of the most efficient when you comp him to the draftable guys, not the seniors who had no chance like Flagler). He was a better pull-up shooter than Keyonte, on nearly twice the volume. Most would consider pull-up shooting the strength and standout factor of Keyonte's game.

I guess this will just be one of the many bumps when he puts it together.

And I'm not refuting that JHS other advacned stats werent bad, they were.

But the idea that he had no standout skill or measurements that warranted a top 20 pick is ludicrous. His PNR play was some of the best in the nation and the NBA is ultimately a PNR league. He has warts he needs to iron out. It's going to take time.

Yeah, it's one of the best. Frequency is a factor. I didnt say he was the most efficient (even though he is still one of the most efficient when you comp him to the draftable guys, not the seniors who had no change like Flagler). He was a better pull-up shooter than Keyonte, on nearly twice the volume. Most would consider pull-up shooting the strength and standout factor of Keyonte's game.

I guess this will just be one of the many bumps when he puts it together.

You have a really low standard for "one of the best in the draft" and "one of the best in the nation". If you consider shooting a lot a standout skill, to each their own. To me, it is one of the most dreadful statistical profiles for a first round pick. I struggle to think of someone who was drafted this high and was that bad as an overall player in college.

You have a really low standard for "one of the best in the draft" and "one of the best in the nation". If you consider shooting a lot a standout skill, to each their own. To me, it is one of the most dreadful statistical profiles for a first round pick. I struggle to think of someone who was drafted this high and was that bad as an overall player in college.
I mean, I guess if you only view basketball through some advanced stats, sure. But he was inarguably one of the best pull-up shooters among the first round prospects if not the best depending on how much you value the volume.

I mean, I guess if you only view basketball through some advanced stats, sure. But he was inarguably one of the best pull-up shooters among the first round prospects if not the best depending on how much you value the volume.

You're an expert at moving the goalposts. Now it's no longer guys in the draft, it's first round prospects....and no it is not inarguable. There are still several first round picks that were more efficient on good volume. I guess I'm just not impressed when a guy shoots a high volume of pullup jumpers when a large part of that is being unable to get to the basket in the first place.

Also, his stats profile is also bad if you never looked at an advanced stat. There is nothing special about his raw numbers or shooting splits.

You're an expert at moving the goalposts. Now it's no longer guys in the draft, it's first round prospects....and no it is not inarguable. There are still several first round picks that were more efficient on good volume. I guess I'm just not impressed when a guy shoots a high volume of pullup jumpers when a large part of that is being unable to get to the basket in the first place.

Also, his stats profile is also bad if you never looked at an advanced stat. There is nothing special about his raw numbers or shooting splits.
I wouldnt call it moving the goal post. I just thought it was kind of implied that I'm not discussing Adam Flagler. None of the first round prospects had his level of makes on his efficiency.

I mean, I would draft Dejounte Murray from square 1 to get a chance to develop him....

I get what you are trying to get at, but it's a completely different thing talking about giving up assets to get a (mostly) finished product as a starter vs using a pick to get a guy you can mold.

I mean, I could also use a similar thing about your Collins hate vs Hendricks pumping...

Very similar prospects, the older one has some negative flaws they have developed in the NBA, but you still want to draft the younger version you think you can mold.
I don't see Taylor and Collins as all that similar. I think if Taylor does what I hope it looks more like Lauri on offense with more disruption on defense. Not that he's some version of JJJ/Lauri but more a super RoCo. Collins is a tweener while Taylor will be a gap filler.

I don't hate Collins... I hate that we didn't get any assets in that deal as I think its a clearly negative contract. So if its the price on Murray that you are out on then I get it.

With Collins I also didn't like that we had the frontcourt covered with quality players that oddly work really well together in KO, Kessler, Lauri... drafted a guy we'd like to get on the court... and could supplement with a one year journeyman if we really needed some depth. Then we went out and traded for a guy with a big three year deal who is worse than all three guys. Murray isn't really duplicating anything we have and fills a position of need. I mean look how good we are with a mid guy like Dunn starting. Collins was just a misevaluation on several fronts that was pretty easy to see the day it happened.

Look we are focusing on the wrong things... Lakers took JHS when the next three picks were Whitmore, Jaquez, and Air Podz... lolololololololololol.

Look we are focusing on the wrong things... Lakers took JHS when the next three picks were Whitmore, Jaquez, and Air Podz... lolololololololololol.

Well that's the thing. We're hyperfixating on a single thing that makes him look good. He was just a horrendous prospect in terms of 1RP standards. It doesn't really matter who was taken after him, I don't know how it was possible to see JHS as a potential lottery pick. We're not talking about if he was good or bad overall, that's a given. He stunk!

Well that's the thing. We're hyperfixating on a single thing that makes him look good. He was just a horrendous prospect in terms of 1RP standards. It doesn't really matter who was taken after him, I don't know how it was possible to see JHS as a potential lottery pick. We're not talking about if he was good or bad overall, that's a given. He stunk!
No... the important part is that we laugh at the Lakers. We don't need to bash @Saint Cy of JFC even if its fun... its just important to always take the time to laugh at the Lakers.

No... the important part is that we laugh at the Lakers. We don't need to bash @Saint Cy of JFC even if its fun... its just important to always take the time to laugh at the Lakers.
Yall enjoy the jokes while you can. JHS will emerge.

Kobe Bufkin, a guy many lauded as a great prospect, has been struggling just as much. A lot of the rookies are struggling. JHS hasnt been an outlier for the class. I get others werent as high on him as me, so it's fair to be even more down on him given the lack of results.

I'm sure if you gave JHS Scoot's minutes, he would be doing just as well as Scoot (if not better)

Kobe Bufkin, a guy many lauded as a great prospect, has been struggling just as much. A lot of the rookies are struggling. JHS hasnt been an outlier for the class. I get others werent as high on him as me, so it's fair to be even more down on him given the lack of results.

I'm sure if you gave JHS Scoot's minutes, he would be doing just as well as Scoot (if not better)
Kobe has been averaging 31/6/5 in the G league my man. 51/37/79 shooting splits. You'd have spammed the board if JHS did that in one game.

Yeah, nobody had Bufkin in their top-6 and said he was the closest thing to Booker in the draft though.

Did anthony black get hurt? Only played 5 minutes last night.

Bilal played 36 minutes and filled up the box score nicely