What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

I think Ainge is going to try to gut the roster at the trade deadline and make sure the Jazz get a top-8 pick. I could see him thinking that Whitmore, Walker and Sensabaugh are worth soft-tanking for. Jazz have to get inside the top 10 of the draft, or this season will have been a bust from a rebuilding perspective. Those three guys are clear-cut starters that would complement Danny Ainge-type teams.

Last edited:
I think Ainge is going to try to gut the roster at the trade deadline and make sure the Jazz get a top-8 pick. I could see him thinking that Whitmore, Walker and Sensabaugh are worth soft-tanking for.

Outside of trading both Conley and Clarkson we aren’t going to get a top-8 pick.

Outside of trading both Conley and Clarkson we aren’t going to get a top-8 pick.

I think he's probably open to trading Conley, Beasley, Clarkson, Olynyk and Vanderbilt. I think he'd turn the team over to Sexton, Nickeil, Ochai, Lauri and Kessler. Once Lauri gets named an All Star, let's see what they do.

As much as everyone loves Clarkson, he's 30 and he's not guaranteed to re-sign with the Jazz, even if he says the right things. He's got a player option for next season at under $15M. Someone is probably going to offer him $18M - $20M for 3 years.

I think he's probably open to trading Conley, Beasley, Clarkson, Olynyk and Vanderbilt. I think he'd turn the team over to Sexton, Nickeil, Ochai, Lauri and Kessler. Once Lauri gets named an All Star, let's see what they do.

As much as everyone loves Clarkson, he's 30 and he's not guaranteed to re-sign with the Jazz, even if he says the right things.

I would trade both I just highly doubt we will.

Hawkins had a pretty incredible chase down block. Very good athlete when he's in space.

21 points for Hawkins
I like Hawkins. Looks like he is a decent athlete and has some gravity with that shooting. A little worried he might become a chucker, but I think he could fill JC’s role on the team pretty damn well if the Jazz pick him.

I like Hawkins. Looks like he is a decent athlete and has some gravity with that shooting. A little worried he might become a chucker, but I think he could fill JC’s role on the team pretty damn well if the Jazz pick him.
A lot of gravity. And even with that, dude gets open enough to get off and hit tough shot after tough shot.

The more I watch of Jalen Wilson the more I like his game. I think his scoring will translate really well to the nba and he has great size for a sf.

ton of gravity and i don't think he has a chucker bone in his body at least at this point in his career. i've seen probably 75% of his games and he is extremely patient, doesn't settle for long jumers unless he's open/it's a designed play (honestly to a fault for as good a shooter as he is), doesn't take forced shots and is extremely unselfish - again, possibly to a fault on both counts. when you shoot it as well as he does, maybe you should force some offense and bit a tad more selfish.

in last night's game in particular, there were several times he could have taken a three, but instead decided to attack a close out, try to get to the rim, pass in to the post, etc.

ton of gravity and i don't think he has a chucker bone in his body at least at this point in his career. i've seen probably 75% of his games and he is extremely patient, doesn't settle for long jumers unless he's open/it's a designed play (honestly to a fault for as good a shooter as he is), doesn't take forced shots and is extremely unselfish - again, possibly to a fault on both counts. when you shoot it as well as he does, maybe you should force some offense and bit a tad more selfish.

in last night's game in particular, there were several times he could have taken a three, but instead decided to attack a close out, pass to the post, etc.
The UConn system makes it basically impossible for him to be a "chucker". It's a ton of off-ball action and cutting, not a lot of on-ball screens. He's rarely taking more than 2 dribbles if he touches the ball. If he's open they want him to shoot every time since they spend about 20 seconds of running around just to get him open every possession.

The UConn system makes it basically impossible for him to be a "chucker". It's a ton of off-ball action and cutting, not a lot of on-ball screens. He's rarely taking more than 2 dribbles if he touches the ball. If he's open they want him to shoot every time since they spend about 20 seconds of running around just to get him open every possession.
that's a bit of an overstatement as he definitely has opportunities to chuck, but i agree 100% with the way you described their offense. fun af to watch him running around trying to get open, the defenders always trying to deny him the ball - such a fun game of cat and mouse and dude never stops.

that's a bit of an overstatement as he definitely has opportunities to chuck, but i agree 100% with the way you described their offense. fun af to watch him running around trying to get open, the defenders always trying to deny him the ball - such a fun game of cat and mouse and dude never stops.
I just mean it in the sense that when he gets the ball, a **** ton of work was put into making sure he got the ball in that position. When I think "chucker" I think of a guy who is just walking the ball up the court, no pass possessions, and taking contested off the dribble shots.

Chucking is only bad if you are not making. Hawkins is making a lot... I hope if we draft him he chucks the **** outta the ball.