What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

I don’t think you are missing much. I think he’s worth a top ten pick because when you hit on wings like him it’s huge. I worry he’s closer to Isaac Okoro than Iggy… I just always come back to Hendo with the wings… you want shooting… well Hendo is better there… defense is probably still Hendo. He may not be as good individually as lockdown defender as Whitmore projects to be… but I think those guys are a little more of a myth in todays nba.
Agreed about the myth thing. Todays nba is all about offense. Great defenders get destroyed by great scorers on the regular.

Ausar shot the ball really well through the 3 OTE finals games. Wish I would have watched the game yesterday. All 3 were super close.

Someone sell me on Cam.

He’s an athlete but I don’t see him as elite there. Not a great shooter. Is only an ok rebounder. Doesn’t often take over a games.

What am I missing?
Elite first step and elite contact absorption which will lead him to being a great driver in the league. Projects to be an above average defender. He has great athleticism and I think he will be able to shoot it decent from three as well. Also, his coach isn’t very good and his PG hasn’t been good at all. Their starting PG Moore has only played 11 games. Despite all of this he has put up respectable stats. He definitely seems like a player who is built more for the league than college.

Ausar shot the ball really well through the 3 OTE finals games. Wish I would have watched the game yesterday. All 3 were super close.
The shot form looks fine… it’s slow as all hell… but that is kinda the natural progression. You may not want him shooting 7 threes a game or something anyway… just want guys to have to close out to him.

Someone sell me on Cam.

He’s an athlete but I don’t see him as elite there. Not a great shooter. Is only an ok rebounder. Doesn’t often take over a games.

What am I missing?
i think the best way to sell anybody on whitmore is to mention jaylen brown. nearly identical production as freshmen, similar body types (both strong wing types), explosive athletes, but dudes who struggled with the jumbled mess and lack of spacing that is college basketball. whitmore has been significantly more efficient both overall and from three, their rebounding basically identical, etc. both guys really struggled as ballhandlers and Jaylen Brown was able to improve a ton in that area - can whitmore have a similar improvement as a ballhandler? that is the million dollar question.

having said that, i've seen full villanova games probably 15 times this season and i've been mostly disappointed in Cam - you take whitmore based on upside, and realizing villanova is poorly coached and their offense is a disaster that would be difficult for any prospect to play in. i wish he were a bit better on the boards too.

Last edited:
Do we like the Thompson twins around here? We are kind of shifting tiers for our realistic targets. Feels like picks 3-8 can go a million different ways. I'm excited to watch Walker with Houston in the tourney.

i think the best way to sell anybody on whitmore is to mention jaylen brown. nearly identical production as freshmen, similar body types (both strong wing types), explosive athletes, but dudes who struggled with the jumbled mess and lack of spacing that is college basketball. whitmore has been significantly more efficient both overall and from three, their rebounding basically identical, etc. both guys really struggled as ballhandlers and Jaylen Brown was able to improve a ton in that area - can whitmore have a similar improvement as a ballhandler? that is the million dollar question.

having said that, i've seen full villanova games probably 15 times this season and i've been mostly disappointed in Cam - you take whitmore based on upside, and realizing villanova is poorly coached and their offense is a disaster that would be difficult for any prospect to play in.
I think that is a pretty good comparison. That also might be why Ainge ends up targeting him.

I think that is a pretty good comparison. That also might be why Ainge ends up targeting him.
yeah, a lot of similarities. but just because brown worked out, doesn't mean whitmore will - it's a risk for sure. helps that you may be able to get whitmore at around 7 or 8, where Brown was drafted 3rd overall. whitmore does feel like an ainge type pick.

Do we like the Thompson twins around here? We are kind of shifting tiers for our realistic targets. Feels like picks 3-8 can go a million different ways. I'm excited to watch Walker with Houston in the tourney.
Yes!. They are amazing athletes with great size and strength. They do most everything well above average. The only concern is can they shoot the NBA 3 consistently.

Last edited:
The shooting concerns me but the physical tools are amazing and they are both above average ball handlers and passer for their size. Brandon Miller is the clear 3rd pick for me but after that I am having a hard time putting together a list of my preferred players. Maybe I am a little prisoner of the moment with Sidy playing so well but I'm having a hard time justifying most of these projected early lottery guys over him.

I do think with Kessler projected as our starting center for the next decade we should prioritize shooting a little more than others. We'll need to surround him with shooters or risk spacing issues.

Can I merge Sensabraugh with Sidy? I love the ability to shoot and put the defense on it's heels. I love these guys outside of the top 8 picks. But holy heck, if Ausur can gain a shot then he projects to be better than Amen.

Back