What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

If you can teach Andre Jackson Jr to knock down wide open 3's he can be this year's Herb Jones IMO.
really good basketball player, but yeah, dude just can't shoot. big east coaches just decided about a third of the way through the season they weren't going to guard him at all around the three point line. but a ridiculous athlete and good all around player otherwise.

Yup...he doesn't have elite physical tools either. If you compare him to the guys you would consider 3's in this draft, they are more athletic and mostly longer than him. Comparing him to 4's, he's just small and not exactly more athletic than them.

If it was a Jaden McDaniels situation where he's going to have both the size and athleticism advantage over most guys in the NBA he matches up with that would be one thing, but GG is on the wrong end of that equation. I feel like GG may have been a matchup nightmare during his youth career but it just doesn't hold up at the higher levels.
I mean, he's a better athlete than McDaniels I would say. McDaniels isn't insanely long or athletic. He's 6'9 with a 7' wingspan. GG is is 6'9 with a 6'10 wingspan (and honestly that's probably grown at least an inch, maybe 2). Plus he has better bulk athleticism combination. He's definitely a very good physical prospect, but not elite and neither was McDaniels

Hawkins is getting a lot of hype lately and it's just an example that our perception of draft stock largely relies on where the media attention is. Hawkins hasn't looked all that great in the tournament vs his conference play, but he has all the attention now. I doubt NBA teams/scouts have changed all that much on him.

A large number I'm sure.
So you don't actually know anything. The reality is that the vast majority of college teams had already used the scholarships that they had available for the upcoming season by the end of July when GG reclassified. The Tarheels had used their last scholarship on Nance from the transfer portal so adding GG for the 2022 season never a possibility.

So you don't actually know anything. The reality is that the vast majority of college teams had already used the scholarships that they had available for the upcoming season by the end of July when GG reclassified. The Tarheels had used their last scholarship on Nance from the transfer portal so adding GG for the 2022 season never a possibility.
That is not the reality man. You are really being a contrarian here that GG had to go to the worst SEC team because they were the only team with an available scholarship and it had nothing to do with him trying to take the easiest route possible to be an iso ballhog scorer.

That is not the reality man. You are really being a contrarian here that GG had to go to the worst SEC team because they were the only team with an available scholarship and it had nothing to do with him trying to take the easiest route possible to be an iso ballhog scorer.
No you are ignoring reality. There definitely weren't a lot teams that didn't have locked in scholarships at that point in time. Also I love how you completely ignore the fact that he was a 17yr old kid that decided to play in his home town with his family close by. Even when he chose North Carolina it was reported that the choice was between them and South Carolina so clearly the kid had an attachment to his hometown.

Yup...he doesn't have elite physical tools either. If you compare him to the guys you would consider 3's in this draft, they are more athletic and mostly longer than him. Comparing him to 4's, he's just small and not exactly more athletic than them.

If it was a Jaden McDaniels situation where he's going to have both the size and athleticism advantage over most guys in the NBA he matches up with that would be one thing, but GG is on the wrong end of that equation. I feel like GG may have been a matchup nightmare during his youth career but it just doesn't hold up at the higher levels.

Your reasoning makes no sense. GG was still a matchup nightmare his junior year in highschool and then he reclassified so we are strictly talking about his freshman year in college when he should have been a senior in highschool. Yeah he had an inconsistent year but he showed plenty of potential. The fact that so many of you are already writing him off is crazy to me.

Your reasoning makes no sense. GG was still a matchup nightmare his junior year in highschool and then he reclassified so we are strictly talking about his freshman year in college when he should have been a senior in highschool. Yeah he had an inconsistent year but he showed plenty of potential. The fact that so many of you are already writing him off is crazy to me.

He was a matchup nightmare at the high school level, but that's not the case as the levels go up. Unless he's going to grow a lot taller or become much more athletic that won't be the case either. He is no longer a man among boys and that will not change in the NBA. It's a reason why he completely sucked at SC and also a reason why I don't think it will get better in the NBA.

Who are you all's picks for when we look back a few seasons from now, we'll be thinking that "I thought this guy was a little bigger than he turned out to be" (ie DM, Royce, Brantley)?

Not having looked much yet at the prospects yet, my initial candidates are: Wallace, Walker, Whitmore, GG, JHS, maybe Black.

Who are you all's picks for when we look back a few seasons from now, we'll be thinking that "I thought this guy was a little bigger than he turned out to be" (ie DM, Royce, Brantley)?

Not having looked much yet at the prospects yet, my initial candidates are: Wallace, Walker, Whitmore, GG, JHS, maybe Black.

You're asking which players are going to measure out smaller than expected?

Unless something breaks in the Jazz's favor, we may be looking at drafting from 9/10 and 16/17. Jazz might screw around and pick up another win over OKC next week.

He was a matchup nightmare at the high school level, but that's not the case as the levels go up. Unless he's going to grow a lot taller or become much more athletic that won't be the case either. He is no longer a man among boys and that will not change in the NBA. It's a reason why he completely sucked at SC and also a reason why I don't think it will get better in the NBA.
I think hes still a huge matchup problem. To me his upside is more athletic Bogey. He's a guy I could see averaging 20-25 ppg depending on the team he is on.

The reason he sucked at SC was because he tried to do it all himself. Granted SC wasn't good, but he still has to trust his teammates more and do more to elevate them, but just because an 18 year old didn't do that doesn't mean he's trash

Aye, shank you kind lady. I fight to uphold something called truth, by breaking all the rules of homerish fiction. You know, the world you live in? F a duck
I respect your passion for upholding truth, but I don't believe that breaking the rules of fiction is necessary for achieving that goal. There can be truth and meaning in both nonfiction and fiction, and dismissing the latter as 'homerish' is a narrow-minded view. <---- Example of an adult response. I read your comment, understood it, disagreed, and provide a counter argument against your point. Don't worry Sport, one day, when you're older, this world will make more sense to you. ;)

Prospects are often compared to Gordon Hayward for obvious reasons, but I actually think Jacquez could be Gordon Hayward. Needs to improve his 3 ball and on ball defense, however. Like his PnR ability, athleticism in transition, and off ball defense.

FYI - It would be "cheaper" to spend the 3 picks we have this year to acquire a super star, i.e., 4 picks for Jaylen Brown (3 year from this year). I think we would desperately try to trade these picks for a star. If that doesn't happen, I think we trade into the top 8 and maybe buy back into the draft for a late pick.

I would rather that they sell their picks and move back down and just bargain shop. I love the French players (Sid and Bilal) except for Ryan. I would also love Brice on the cheap.