What's new

A little Boler appreciation

str8line

Contributor
2019 Award Winner
I loved Boler in the Pelicans game. His call at the 3:30 mark: "PUT IT DOWN YOUNG FELLA!"

Check out Donovan's burst of speed at the 2:50 mark.

Boler sucks. The hammer's down a 3 and a few other annoyances have disappeared, but I get annoyed by the "x makes a beatiful pass that was stolen or went out of bounds", or the "x puts up a shot, looks good, off the mark", when many of those shots clearly aren't going in. It is like he just needs some mindless phrases that allow him to keep talking non-stop. I'd like a little more thought and substance. When I watch live I choose the other feed. I often get home from work late and rely and my DVR programming, which only records the home feed, so sometimes I get stuck. Drunk Hot Rod was on top of things more than Boler.

Boone is even worse. I loved how Boler was pushing the Star Wars night promo and Boone was just trashing Star Wars (going against the whole theme of the promo night the Jazz were trying to sell tickets for). IIRC, he was saying he never saw it and had no interest. Boler tried to save the conversation stating he would take Boone to see the new movie and learn what it was all about. Boone said he would go if they had reclining seats so he could sleep. Great promo for the Star Wars themed night, LOL.

Lived in a lot of NBA cities and I travel a lot so I hear local announcers a fair amount. Like him or not, Boler is in the upper tier of hometown announcers.
Bro, you don't need to travel to catch feeds from other teams. You can't really catch people unaware of the evidence, and then claim that you know what's up.

So, bad argument.

Also, Boler does suck, but we've been through this too many times.

Bro, you don't need to travel to catch feeds from other teams. You can't really catch people unaware of the evidence, and then claim that you know what's up.

So, bad argument.

Yep. I have watched every game with LP for almost a decade now, getting a good mix of both feeds. Most announcers are much better, although I will say there are a few out there that are worse (Boston, Suns, Clippers comes to mind).

During Mitchell's ascension, I think Harping has elevated his game more of the two. That's because Boler behind the mic is a character, and that character is what it is. It kind of has peaked. Not that that is a bad thing, but Harp to the core is a competitor and when a player and a team performs the way the Jazz have blowing these teams out, he's more ready for the challenge.

Idk, I've just been we enjoying him more.

BTW, here's a video of Darrell Grifith's 40 pt game. The color guy was terrible. All he knew was "Great. Amazing. Wow...". Classic Hot Rod is good to hear, but he sort of rise to the performance either. Evolution is real. Even in commentary.

Boler is ok. Boone sucks. But at least we have nothing even close to disasters in Miami, Boston or Cleveland.

During Mitchell's ascension, I think Harping has elevated his game more of the two. That's because Boler behind the mic is a character, and that character is what it is. It kind of has peaked. Not that that is a bad thing, but Harp to the core is a competitor and when a player and a team performs the way the Jazz have blowing these teams out, he's more ready for the challenge.

Idk, I've just been we enjoying him more.

BTW, here's a video of Darrell Grifith's 40 pt game. The color guy was terrible. All he knew was "Great. Amazing. Wow...". Classic Hot Rod is good to hear, but he sort of rise to the performance either. Evolution is real. Even in commentary.

Wow, Griffith is on fire in that. Only a few outside shots. Like Westbrook but smoother. And against Jordan(rookie) even. Stockton feeding him. Awesome video, thanks.

I was going to mention Harpring too. He salivates when the Jazz play well. I don't get when people have said that Bolerjack's heart isn't in it. Just because he's polished doesn't mean he doesn't love the game. You can't fake that stoke.

Last edited:
Boler sucks. The hammer's down a 3 and a few other annoyances have disappeared, but I get annoyed by the "x makes a beatiful pass that was stolen or went out of bounds", or the "x puts up a shot, looks good, off the mark", when many of those shots clearly aren't going in. It is like he just needs some mindless phrases that allow him to keep talking non-stop. I'd like a little more thought and substance. When I watch live I choose the other feed. I often get home from work late and rely and my DVR programming, which only records the home feed, so sometimes I get stuck. Drunk Hot Rod was on top of things more than Boler.

Boone is even worse. I loved how Boler was pushing the Star Wars night promo and Boone was just trashing Star Wars (going against the whole theme of the promo night the Jazz were trying to sell tickets for). IIRC, he was saying he never saw it and had no interest. Boler tried to save the conversation stating he would take Boone to see the new movie and learn what it was all about. Boone said he would go if they had reclining seats so he could sleep. Great promo for the Star Wars themed night, LOL.

Careful with Boone, the basketball gods will strike you down. He takes me back to a simpler time. No hype just relaxed insight. His ABA/NBA career makes me respect his wise words even more.

Career ABA and NBA statistics
Rebounds 4,348 (4.2 rpg)
Steals 823 (1.3 spg)

"Boone's nickname was "The Legend", because he always showed up each season in shape and always was remarkably consistent. At the time of his retirement, Boone had the distinction of having played the most consecutive games of any player in the history of professional basketball – 1,041 in a row between the ABA and NBA.[2]"

From wiki.

Careful with Boone, the basketball gods will strike you down. He takes me back to a simpler time. No hype just relaxed insight. His ABA/NBA career makes me respect his wise words even more.

Rebounds 4,348 (4.2 rpg)
Steals 823 (1.3 spg)

"Boone's nickname was "The Legend", because he always showed up each season in shape and always was remarkably consistent. At the time of his retirement, Boone had the distinction of having played the most consecutive games of any player in the history of professional basketball – 1,041 in a row between the ABA and NBA.[2]"

From wiki.

After watching the NBA change from 30 teams running different sets to 30 teams doing pretty much the same thing, I am already in basketball hell.

Rebounds 4,348 (4.2 rpg)
Steals 823 (1.3 spg)

From wiki.

One of the games last week Booner kept saying, "This game is going to come down to which team scores the most".

So, bad argument.

Thats how I do it and IMO he doesn't suck at all. So the argument works great for me. Those who complain dont get out much. Never get the hate on this board for our announcers. Will take them over most in the league.

Thats how I do it and IMO he doesn't suck at all. So the argument works great for me. Those who complain dont get out much. Never get the hate on this board for our announcers. Will take them over most in the league.
cool... stick with your falsehoods, brauh. This is Trump's America after all.

Boler's fine. There's probably 3-4 very good local crews, another 20-ish who are just fine, and then a handful of terrible crews. Boler's part of that 20 something.

Pretty much all of my jazz memories involve Boler as the hype man. He is not perfect, but he is ours and I appreciate him.