What's new

Aaron Gordon Diary for slam(Jazz Shout-out)

All in on him after the latest news of Vonleh showing up out of shape now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Count me in on the Gordon Wagon.

I'd rather move back and grab Stauskas and some additional assets than draft Vonleh or Randle.

I've been high on Gordon for a while.(yep, I snort gordons. What can I say I have a problem) As the draft gets closer I am more and more convinced that outside of Parker/Wiggins/Embiid that Gordon is the FOs first choice. I personally think he will be bpa but that is definitely debatable. Don't get too depressed Gordon haters he will be a good fit, not only positionally speaking but culture wise as well. Sure his outside shooting is not tops but we can unleash Kanter to help stretch the floor. Gordon allows us to play big with

Burke
Hayward
Gordon
Kanter
Favors

or small with

Burke
Burks
Hayward
Gordon
Favors/Kanter

After Parker he may be the best "fit" pick in the lotto.

He's my fifth guy for sure. I'm not sure I'd take Exum over him (just cause I don't know much about exum). He will immediately make the Jazz a much better defensive team. I can't get excited about Randle, and I think Vonleh has more bust potential. Smart I wouldn't mind, but I like Gordon's attitude and he fills a need.

Gordon is moving up my board and my overall projection for him the longer this process plays out. You have to think of all the skills a player could be bad at coming out after his freshman season shooting is probably the easiest to correct. When you consider he's on par athletically with Wiggins and project to be equally as good as a defender I'm starting to put Gordon in the class with Embiid, Parker, and Wiggins.

He sounded like a kid who wouldn't mind sticking around in Utah for a while too!!!

This past weekend, I was in Utah. That was really cool. It seems like Utah has a good thing going. The new coach Quin Snyder was there. I got to meet him before players on the Jazz got to meet him. He was sitting on the side while we worked out. I played well. I shot well, and I think I showed them my versatility. I talked to the rest of the staff, and I think I had a good showing.

Link? I missed this I guess.

EPSNs Ryen Russilo tweeted that a few GMs told him that Vonleh was out of shape and they were annoyed.

Some have properly pointed out that it could be a smokescreen by Boston or Sac to have him fall, but the Jazz aren't silly enough to not check in him for themselves to see if he's really outta shape

I have zero concerns over Vonleh...ZERO. He already killed it in a few post-draft workouts, enough to enter the talk as someone who could move into the top-4. So a week later he's "out of shape?" Nope. Don't buy it.

I still have Vonleh rated #4 on my draft board. But you know what? I'm going to say the Jazz should draft Gordon. Why? Because the ONE chance the Jazz have of EVER contending is to have all-star level talent at all 5 positions. So I have to hope, beyond what my mind and eyes have told me, that Kanter wasn't a bust at #3 and will have a breakout season with a new coach who believes in his abilities. ECTYA made a good case for Kanter having had all his confidence destroyed by Corbin.

Vonleh IS going to be a helluva good stretch-4. He'll be an all-star. But Gordon COULD be more valuable to the Jazz. He brings attitude. And with the passive players Utah has, that is an important factor. He can also fill minutes at both forward positions. The versatility of being able to go big with Hayward at SG and Gordon/Kanter/Favors in the front court or small with Burks at SG and Hayward/Gordon/Favors is very important. And I don't discount the fact Gordon has Utah ties, WANTED to work out for the Jazz and was impressed to see the new coach in the stands. I have no idea if Deron was always the Jazz guy at #3, but Williams came to Utah while CP3 refused to. Character and attitude does matter. So I give the edge to Gordon over Vonleh - and Exum - in that respect.

In sum, I still have Vonleh ranked higher. But the difference isn't that much...and it's overcome by other important factors. This may also be an unpopular opinion, but if Gordon and Exum were available at #5, my choice would also be Gordon.

I have zero concerns over Vonleh...ZERO. He already killed it in a few post-draft workouts, enough to enter the talk as someone who could move into the top-4. So a week later he's "out of shape?" Nope. Don't buy it.

I still have Vonleh rated #4 on my draft board. But you know what? I'm going to say the Jazz should draft Gordon. Why? Because the ONE chance the Jazz have of EVER contending is to have all-star level talent at all 5 positions. So I have to hope, beyond what my mind and eyes have told me, that Kanter wasn't a bust at #3 and will have a breakout season with a new coach who believes in his abilities. ECTYA made a good case for Kanter having had all his confidence destroyed by Corbin.

Vonleh IS going to be a helluva good stretch-4. He'll be an all-star. But Gordon COULD be more valuable to the Jazz. He brings attitude. And with the passive players Utah has, that is an important factor. He can also fill minutes at both forward positions. The versatility of being able to go big with Hayward at SG and Gordon/Kanter/Favors in the front court or small with Burks at SG and Hayward/Gordon/Favors is very important. And I don't discount the fact Gordon has Utah ties, WANTED to work out for the Jazz and was impressed to see the new coach in the stands. I have no idea if Deron was always the Jazz guy at #3, but Williams came to Utah while CP3 refused to. Character and attitude does matter. So I give the edge to Gordon over Vonleh - and Exum - in that respect.

In sum, I still have Vonleh ranked higher. But the difference isn't that much...and it's overcome by other important factors. This may also be an unpopular opinion, but if Gordon and Exum were available at #5, my choice would also be Gordon.

Have you heard anything about Vonleh planning to workout in Utah?

Gordon is the best fit, and the best chance we have at a star. He's still a long shot, but I think we have to go with Gordon if we stay at 5.