What's new

Aaron Gordon Diary for slam(Jazz Shout-out)

After all is said and done the Jazz will trade Kanter away and draft Randall. They then will refuse to match Hayward's near max offer.
During pre-season Randall will mess his foot up and be out the rest of the season after surgery and we will be having the same discussion a year from now...

Work has me down and I am feeling pessimistic...
Someone start talking about the strengths of the top 8 prospects and cheer me up please!

don't worry, we're gonna sign cj miles

I wouldn't say he's half the athlete. And Tony Allen isn't 6'3"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

He measured 6'3.5" without shoes. Gordon was 6'7.5". I'm pretty good at math, so I'll let you know that is exactly 4 inches difference.

Both those guys are huge. Aaron Gordon is a glorified Tony Allen.

oh.... you asked to name an all star that is a bad shooter.... you didnt say a thing about thier size

Weaknesses of all players in top 7

1) Embiid - health issues, lack of experience and rawness to game.
2) Wiggins - handles and passiveness, raw offense game, inconsistent shooting
3) Parker - bad defensively, physical body needs improving, and shot selection at times, tweener
4) Exum - lack of competition, needs to get stronger, average shooter and is he a PG or SG.
5) Gordon - poor FT shooting and outside shooting, tweener is he a SF or PF
6) Vonleh - lack of aggressiveness, raw offensively, PF or C, BB IQ - feel for the game
7) Smart - PG or SG, anger issues, average shooter and bad shot selection.
8) Randle - needs surgery on foot, forces the issue, poor defender and sometimes get tunnel vision

These are the perceived weakness of each player. Whether you agree or not about these issues, the reality is that all players have flaws. Every supporter of a player either ignores the flaws or rationalizes them away. So to say one player is a sure thing and other isn't really based in any reality but is simply one persons opinion. Man I can't wait for the draft to be here. :D

I think you lined these up in the order I have them ranked in my head as well. There are always risks with young players. With Gordon I think he is clearly a 3. I think the bigger risk is that he does not have enough of an alpha personality. Is it possible to be too much of a team player?

Name 1 all star that is a bad shooter. Bad as in 42% free throws and 35% for a college 3. If he was shooting NBA distance that number would undoubtedly decline too.
The only players that are bad shooters that are good players in the NBA are all role players.
He will get better. Let's not confuse that with being a good shooter. He never will be a shooter. Either you are our you aren't.

Here's the problem you are projecting him never to get better. While this can certainly be the case it isn't set in stone he'll shoot this poorly at 23 as he does at 18. There's a long list of individuals that started out poor to below average that became quality shooters.

Projecting is apart of the draft process.

I wouldn't say he's half the athlete. And Tony Allen isn't 6'3"

Aaron Gordon is 6'7.5" w/o shoes. Tony Allen is 6'3.5" w/o shoes. The difference is exactly 4",

https://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tony-Allen-1487/stats/

https://stats.nba.com/draftCombineAnthro.html

Also, Gordon and Allen's athleticism are on two very different tiers. You are simply misinformed if you believe otherwise.

Haha haha hahaha! Steve Nash can't dribble either huh?

So Paul George's 42 FG% the last two years makes him a good shooter?

And WTF w/ your Nash comment? Insinuating false arguments because you can't debate is weaksauce.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/georgpa01.html

Here's the problem you are projecting him never to get better. While this can certainly be the case it isn't set in stone he'll shoot this poorly at 23 as he does at 18. There's a long list of individuals that started out poor to below average that became quality shooters.

Projecting is apart of the draft process.

That's true. Noone knows how good anyone will get. All I know is he has the most ground to make up. Generally guys get better at shooting as they age.
Let's not fool ourselves. He's a terrible shooter. He relies on his athletic ability to score.
In the NBA everyone is a top level athlete so his ability as an athlete won't be as big of as advantage as it was in college.

That's true. Noone knows how good anyone will get. All I know is he has the most ground to make up. Generally guys get better at shooting as they age.
Let's not fool ourselves. He's a terrible shooter. He relies on his athletic ability to score.
In the NBA everyone is a top level athlete so his ability as an athlete won't be as big of as advantage as it was in college.

Small sample size but he did hit 35% of his threes. So it's his midrange and Fts most. The test of his game checks out.

And no, he isn't going to just be another athlete in the nba. He will be in the top 5% of athletes in the league.

Just another athlete can't do this

https://cosbysweaters.nextimpulseme...ent/uploads/2014/02/aaron-gordon-dunk-gif.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, everyone in the NBA is an athlete, but Aaron Gordon is a top 3-5% athlete from day one. Plus, he can dribble, offensive rebound, and pass. Same can't be said for all of the other athletes. The NBA halfcourt is also spaced out a lot better than college is, which works to his favor.

Aaron Gordon is most comparable to Kawhi Leonard.

Both lockdown defenders.

Both weren't considered good shooters.

Kawhi shot 20% from three in college as a freshman, shoots 38% from three now.

Gordon does have 2 inches on him though.

Kawhi did get put into the perfect system, but who says the Jazz are the perfect system for Gordon?

Kawhi shot 20% from three in college as a freshman, shoots 38% from three now.

Engellend worked wonders for Kawhi. If the Jazz land him and then draft AG, I can easily see him having the same impact with Gordon. Not to mention the rest of our team.

I'm starting to get excited.

Weaknesses of all players in top 7

1) Embiid - health issues, lack of experience and rawness to game.
2) Wiggins - handles and passiveness, raw offense game, inconsistent shooting
3) Parker - bad defensively, physical body needs improving, and shot selection at times, tweener
4) Exum - lack of competition, needs to get stronger, average shooter and is he a PG or SG.
5) Gordon - poor FT shooting and outside shooting, tweener is he a SF or PF
6) Vonleh - lack of aggressiveness, raw offensively, PF or C, BB IQ - feel for the game
7) Smart - PG or SG, anger issues, average shooter and bad shot selection.
8) Randle - needs surgery on foot, forces the issue, poor defender and sometimes get tunnel vision

These are the perceived weakness of each player. Whether you agree or not about these issues, the reality is that all players have flaws. Every supporter of a player either ignores the flaws or rationalizes them away. So to say one player is a sure thing and other isn't really based in any reality but is simply one persons opinion. Man I can't wait for the draft to be here. :D

This is the first I've heard of Vonleh potentially having the build to play center.