What's new

Aaron Gordon Diary for slam(Jazz Shout-out)

They had him shoot FT's in that workout. And no, I am tired of walking you through stuff. Believe what you want.

But just walk me through the part where a scout has said his freethrows are in improving. Thats the specific thing you said scouts had said. I even Bing'd it. Nothin.

The more I read and watch on this kid the more I like him. If we draft him with the #5 and pencil him in at 3 do the Jazz then try to swing a deal for Hayward or just let him walk? I personally would rather see Burks as our starting 2 than Hayward. I believe he will be an all-star in the very near future.

Aaron Gordon would fit perfectly into Snyder's P&R philosophy and I especially love how he can defend without fouling. Only averages 2.3 fouls per 40. That's incredible for someone who plays as hard as AG. The freethrow percentage scares the bajesus out of me but if we can land Chip Engellend from San Antonio, he would improve his shooting ability drastically.

I'm onboard the Gordon train.

The more I read and watch on this kid the more I like him. If we draft him with the #5 and pencil him in at 3 do the Jazz then try to swing a deal for Hayward or just let him walk? I personally would rather see Burks as our starting 2 than Hayward. I believe he will be an all-star in the very near future.

Aaron Gordon would fit perfectly into Snyder's P&R philosophy and I especially love how he can defend without fouling. Only averages 2.3 fouls per 40. That's incredible for someone who plays as hard as AG. The freethrow percentage scares the bajesus out of me but if we can land Chip Engellend from San Antonio, he would improve his shooting ability drastically.

I'm onboard the Gordon train.

Why do you need to trade anyone? We're replacing Jefferson with Gordon. 96 combined minutes at the wings means 32 mins each for Burks, Hayward and Gordon. That is a SOLID rotation! Gordon comes off the bench as a rookie. Hayward splits minutes between the 2 and 3. Going forward (after this season), you could even have Gordon play some 4 against smaller PF's.

If the Jazz draft Gordon, I'd like to see them get someone like Payne with their 2nd pick. Or, I guess they could bring back Marvin to play the stretch-4 as a backup to Kanter.

If we draft him with the #5 and pencil him in at 3 do the Jazz then try to swing a deal for Hayward or just let him walk? I personally would rather see Burks as our starting 2 than Hayward.

ESPECIALLY if we draft gordon.

if we draft AG then we will need more offense (burks offense > haywards imo) and gordons great defense and motor would help to hide burks poor defense a bit.

If drafted, I think we'll see Burks and Hayward start at 2 and 3, w/ Gordon off the bench. I'd imagine he'd get plenty of burn w/ both. W/ minutes @ the 4 as well. A. Gordon will increase pace, which will allow us to attack before defenses are set, which is ideal for him, Hayward, and Burks, since they are all ball handling, rim attacking, wing creators. But, we do need some people out there who can space the floor too. Kanter can draw a big out, but I also like the idea of A. Payne @ 23, so the second unit could have it as well.

I don't think we'll be an elite 3 pt shooting team, but I don't think we'll be the worst. I think anything above 30% necessitates being guarded because of the extra point, and we know Hayward, Burks, and Burke can shoot at least that. I'm also not opposed to burning the 23rd on CJ Wilcox to add some more of it to our wing line. Jazz also might consider calling up their 2012 rookie, Kevin Murphy (who they don't own anymore) from their newly acquired Stampede to fill some shooting needs. https://stats.nbadleague.com/playerStats.html?PlayerID=203122 I think he's deserving of a Summer League invite.

Do some players play barefoot? He's almost 6 9'. That's perfect size for a SF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.

And he's not 6'7" barefoot, he is 6'7.5" barefoot , which is plenty tall for a wing. Throw in the top 3 % NBA athleticism, 8'9" standing reach and 6'11.75" wingspan, and he's golden.

Why do you need to trade anyone? We're replacing Jefferson with Gordon. 96 combined minutes at the wings means 32 mins each for Burks, Hayward and Gordon. That is a SOLID rotation! Gordon comes off the bench as a rookie. Hayward splits minutes between the 2 and 3. Going forward (after this season), you could even have Gordon play some 4 against smaller PF's.

If the Jazz draft Gordon, I'd like to see them get someone like Payne with their 2nd pick. Or, I guess they could bring back Marvin to play the stretch-4 as a backup to Kanter.

It is very solid. I'm just worried about over paying Hayward. He has shown way too much inconsistency to merit a big contract at this point in his career. We cannot afford to be handcuffed by bad contracts. I adore Hayward's playmaking ability and would love to keep him around but only at the right price.

By a whole MONTH over Vonleh and a few months over several others. This "youngest player in the draft" bs really raises my hackles. Does it really matter whether he was born in September or May?

The answer is yes, it probably does. Have you heard of Malcolm Gladwell's book, "Outliers"? He talks about the effect of birth month in hockey players, and says that similar effects are found in other sports.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outliers_(book)#Synopsis
The book begins with the observation that a disproportionate number of elite Canadian hockey players are born in the first few months of the calendar year. The reason is that since youth hockey leagues determine eligibility by calendar year, children born on January 1 play in the same league as those born on December 31 in the same year. Because children born earlier in the year are bigger and more mature than their younger competitors, and they are often identified as better athletes, this leads to extra coaching and a higher likelihood of being selected for elite hockey leagues. This phenomenon in which "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer" is dubbed "accumulative advantage" by Gladwell, while sociologist Robert K. Merton calls it "the Matthew Effect", named after a biblical verse in the Gospel of Matthew: "For unto everyone that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance. But from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath."[7] Outliers asserts that success depends on the idiosyncrasies of the selection process used to identify talent just as much as it does on the athletes' natural abilities.[7]

So the fact that Gordon was able to buck the trend--succeed and become an elite player despite being younger than all of his peers--seems like a telling point in his favor to me.

Name 1 all star that is a bad shooter. Bad as in 42% free throws and 35% for a college 3. If he was shooting NBA distance that number would undoubtedly decline too.
The only players that are bad shooters that are good players in the NBA are all role players.
He will get better. Let's not confuse that with being a good shooter. He never will be a shooter. Either you are our you aren't.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The answer is yes, it probably does. Have you heard of Malcolm Gladwell's book, "Outliers"? He talks about the effect of birth month in hockey players, and says that similar effects are found in other sports.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outliers_(book)#Synopsis

So the fact that Gordon was able to buck the trend--succeed and become an elite player despite being younger than all of his peers--seems like a telling point in his favor to me.

Love, love, love this book! The 10k concentrated hours of practice theory is also a big reason why I am still really high on Kanter, and can't understand why people have been so willing to write him off.

Name 1 all star that is a bad shooter. Bad as in 42% free throws and 35% for a college 3. If he was shooting NBA distance that number would undoubtedly decline too.
The only players that are bad shooters that are good players in the NBA are all role players.
He will get better. Let's not confuse that with being a good shooter. He never will be a shooter. Either you are our you aren't.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

35 % from 3 isn't bad. Kevin Love shot 35% from 3 in college. Do you think Love is a bad shooter?

"Shooters aren't born, they are made." -- Larry Bird

Scottie Pippen came into the league shooting the 3 @ 17%, but developed into 37% from 3 on 5 3pa per game. He is one of the best wings of all time.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pippesc01.html

Both Karl Malone & Blake Griffin had years where they shot below 60% in college from the FT line. Malone is the 2nd all time leading scorer in the NBA!

Will he become Bird, Miller, or Allen? No.

Was his college jumper broken? No. Could it improve? Yes. And it could for most 18 yr olds.

Was his Free-Throw form disconnected from his jumper? Absolutely.

After all is said and done the Jazz will trade Kanter away and draft Randall. They then will refuse to match Hayward's near max offer.
During pre-season Randall will mess his foot up and be out the rest of the season after surgery and we will be having the same discussion a year from now...

Work has me down and I am feeling pessimistic...
Someone start talking about the strengths of the top 8 prospects and cheer me up please!