What's new

Aaron Gordon Diary for slam(Jazz Shout-out)

In no way is 35% a good number. I don't care if Jabari shoots that bad.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Not small enough to entirely discount though. A. Gordon shot 1.2, while Jabari shot 3 per contest.

Didn't Gordon only shoot 45 3's? Just don't expect Gordon to become a good shooter. All we could hope for is that he has a few go to moves and can hit open shots so that players still have to guard him.

Didn't Gordon only shoot 45 3's? Just don't expect Gordon to become a good shooter. All we could hope for is that he has a few go to moves and can hit open shots so that players still have to guard him.

Not expecting it, but I'm also not saying it won't happen. He'll be incredibly effective even w/o a shot just because of evrything else he does so well, coupled with his measurements, top tier athleticism, IQ, desire, and work ethic.

Not expecting it, but I'm also not saying it won't happen. He'll be incredibly effective even w/o a shot just because of evrything else he does so well, coupled with his measurements, top tier athleticism, IQ, desire, and work ethic.

Really funny reading all this crap about Gordon. Measurements...........hell he is a tweener between power forward and small forward. Draft Express says he will end up at power forward...Millsap anyone? Haven't we had enough of undersized power forwards?

Like playing 4 on 5 on offense? You guys must as all the other team has to do is beat us back on defense to make him ineffective accept cleaning up after others shoot. Watched the playoffs.........they have shooters that can also play defense.

Playing at the end of close games I don't want my supposedly future all star sitting on the bench or being hacked every time down the court. I guess I have to go against most posters on jazzfanz on this... no Aaron Gordon for me.

If we draft him, please please have a miracle working shooting coach, as I could out shoot him as a freshman in junior high school.

Really funny reading all this crap about Gordon. Measurements...........hell he is a tweener between power forward and small forward. Draft Express says he will end up at power forward...Millsap anyone? Haven't we had enough of undersized power forwards?

Like playing 4 on 5 on offense? You guys must as all the other team has to do is beat us back on defense to make him ineffective accept cleaning up after others shoot. Watched the playoffs.........they have shooters that can also play defense.

Playing at the end of close games I don't want my supposedly future all star sitting on the bench or being hacked every time down the court. I guess I have to go against most posters on jazzfanz on this... no Aaron Gordon for me.

If we draft him, please please have a miracle working shooting coach, as I could out shoot him as a freshman in junior high school.

He played 1,2 and 3 in high school. He played 3 at Arizona until Brandon Ashley got hurt and since 'zona had more guards than big guys they moved him to 4. He's a 3 that can also play 4 or 2.

He can hit a standing jumpshot... Much less effective shooting off the dribble. Fortunately off the dribble he usually goes for his scoop shot which he converts well. Has great passing and great handles (both better than Wiggins). If Gordon is a 4 the Wiggins is a 4. I don't care what draft express says.

I'm sure Gotfons agency wants him at either spot because it opens his draft potential.

What have I made up? Please enlighten me.

I haven't read anything from a scout saying his FT's are improving. But let's say for argument sake a scout (not AG himself) has said that. It sure is a lot different shooting FT's in a gym to shooting them in the 4th down 2 with 22k fans from the opposing team yelling at you. I don't give a single **** how he shoots in the gym. We don't keep stats for that. I give multiple ****s how he shoots in games.

For how he does there we can go to the ~40 college games he played as a "sample size". He was atrocious. That's fact, not speculation. Framer has said, multiple times, that in practice AG was known to hit 75%~ only to go out in a game and go 2/11 or whatever. That's mental, you don't know if that's fixed till it's go time.

AGAIN(!), I'm not trying to bash AG. I like him. But I'm not willing to make **** up or willing to believe things before I've seen them to convince myself or others of a pick at 5.

Last edited:

I think he has a chance to be like an AK/Marion type of player and he could even be more if he learns to shoot. His shooting isn't as big of a deal with me because I don't think his form isn't that bad. Walt Perrin mentioned how he sees a lot of improvement already. Remember the kid is the youngest player in the draft.

The difference is that I don't think he is the shot blocker AK was but his on the ball defense is better and many people questioned AK's work ethic while everyone is praising Gordon's work habits. I think Gordon is a better rebounder and a better overall athlete. Neither guys were great shooters but AK shot better at the line. Gordon finishes better at the rim. Passing I think both are very good passers for their positions. AK is probably more flashier but AK made a lot of turnovers too. (at least he seemed to do so).

I think Gordon seems more mature than AK and less likely to crumble under pressure but this is only my perception and that has more to do with AK than what I've seen with Gordon. Gordon seems more like a leader though based upon his interviews.

You make it sound like Gordon is 28 years old and he is the player he is and will be. Walt Perrin said, Gordon has greatly improved his shot. The kid is working out at P3 already and loves competing, so you don't think he will ever improve? Now if he was know for a weak work ethic than I would share your concerns.

As mentioned before Gordon has the ability to guard multiple positions, Gordon can and should play at the SF. He has a SF body type and athletic ability of a SF. Just because Millsap was undersize doesn't mean Gordon is nor does it mean he can't play SF. Gordon is like Millsap in the work ethic way but he has better handles and agility than Millsap. However, Millsap is an example of a poor shooter who got a lot better when he became an NBA pro.

People that think he is the answer to the Jazz championship hopes don't know crap.

Unlike the Parker crowd, no one has mentioned that Gordon is the answer to the Jazz championship. His supporters just love his talent and think he has a chance to be a big part of a team vying for championships. Personally, I don't think there is one player in this draft that will lead a team solely by himself to a championship. Even Lebron couldn't do that.

Weaknesses of all players in top 7

1) Embiid - health issues, lack of experience and rawness to game.
2) Wiggins - handles and passiveness, raw offense game, inconsistent shooting
3) Parker - bad defensively, physical body needs improving, and shot selection at times, tweener
4) Exum - lack of competition, needs to get stronger, average shooter and is he a PG or SG.
5) Gordon - poor FT shooting and outside shooting, tweener is he a SF or PF
6) Vonleh - lack of aggressiveness, raw offensively, PF or C, BB IQ - feel for the game
7) Smart - PG or SG, anger issues, average shooter and bad shot selection.
8) Randle - needs surgery on foot, forces the issue, poor defender and sometimes get tunnel vision

These are the perceived weakness of each player. Whether you agree or not about these issues, the reality is that all players have flaws. Every supporter of a player either ignores the flaws or rationalizes them away. So to say one player is a sure thing and other isn't really based in any reality but is simply one persons opinion. Man I can't wait for the draft to be here. :D

I would add the most glaring flaw for Randle is the fact he only uses one hand.

Weaknesses of all players in top 7

1) Embiid - health issues, lack of experience and rawness to game.
2) Wiggins - handles and passiveness, raw offense game, inconsistent shooting
3) Parker - bad defensively, physical body needs improving, and shot selection at times, tweener
4) Exum - lack of competition, needs to get stronger, average shooter and is he a PG or SG.
5) Gordon - poor FT shooting and outside shooting, tweener is he a SF or PF
6) Vonleh - lack of aggressiveness, raw offensively, PF or C, BB IQ - feel for the game
7) Smart - PG or SG, anger issues, average shooter and bad shot selection.
8) Randle - needs surgery on foot, forces the issue, poor defender and sometimes get tunnel vision

These are the perceived weakness of each player. Whether you agree or not about these issues, the reality is that all players have flaws. Every supporter of a player either ignores the flaws or rationalizes them away. So to say one player is a sure thing and other isn't really based in any reality but is simply one persons opinion. Man I can't wait for the draft to be here. :D

I agree with this.

People are looking for things to nitpick about all of them. They all could have went number last year. It's a deep draft. They all are very young and will most likely improve their weaknesses.

The biggest reason why I want Gordon is he fills a need better than the rest (besides Parker and Wiggins) All the others just duplicate what we already have. I know we should go BPA, but it's so hard to tell at this point. I think it could be Gordon too. So that's my pick.

I haven't read anything from a scout saying his FT's are improving..

??? Do you not have access to Google? There are plenty of examples, dude. Why else do you imagine him going from 10+ in mocks, up to 5-7 in a lot now?

This is from our own Pres. Of Basketball Operations, Walt Perin on A. Gordon's workout
He has really, really improved his shot…He handled the ball pretty well. So, he was able to do a lot of the dribbling drills. He was able to do a lot of the going-off-the-dribble-getting-to-the-basket, ’cause he’s so explosive…[His improved shot] shows he has a willingness and a desire to get better in terms of shooting…I think the thing that we, that impresses me the most is how well they get through a full workout on our court, with our altitude. That impressed me. I thought he was going just as strong at the end as he was at the beginning…With his work ethic, his ceiling can be really high…He’s a very intelligent guy, and I think he is mature for his age. But you gotta remember, he had a brother who’s gone through this league. So, he’s learned through his brother.
https://jazzfanatical.wordpress.com/

As for his college performance, yes, it was bad from the line. As for shooting in games, yes, it's harder. Difference is, I'm not writing an 18 yr old kid as gifted as him off. You can, that's fine. But, stop accusing me of making **** up, because I haven't.

I'm not trying to sell the kid w/o flaws, but I believe his strengths far outweigh his weaknesses. Before college, he was in discussion for no. 1 pick, and unlike Randle, his athleticism, passing, defense, BBIQ, offensive rebounding, and handles are very much real. 5 seems like good value, especially since everyone else at 5 has big flaws.

??? Do you not have access to Google? There are plenty of examples, dude. Why else do you imagine him going from 10+ in mocks, up to 5-7 in a lot now?

This is from our own Pres. Of Basketball Operations, Walt Perin on A. Gordon's workout

https://jazzfanatical.wordpress.com/

As for his college performance, yes, it was bad from the line. As for shooting in games, yes, it's harder. Difference is, I'm not writing an 18 yr old kid as gifted as him off. You can, that's fine. But, stop accusing me of making **** up, because I haven't.

Now link to the part where a scout talks about his improved FREE THROW SHOOTING (you specifically brought it up). My google is broked.

Now link to the part where a scout talks about his improved FREE THROW SHOOTING (you specifically brought it up). My google is broked.

They had him shoot FT's in that workout. And no, I am tired of walking you through stuff. Believe what you want.

Remember the kid is the youngest player in the draft.

By a whole MONTH over Vonleh and a few months over several others. This "youngest player in the draft" bs really raises my hackles. Does it really matter whether he was born in September or May? He's in the same school year as many others in the draft and growing up would have gone through the same progression.

I do agree with your points about ball defense. AK was a great help defender and had an instinct for getting into the passing lanes with his go-go-gadget arms. But, except for his first couple of seasons, he was just an average ball defender. SF's could just step back and shoot over him and PF's could just muscle him out of the way. It was really frustrating after seeing his potential to watch him stop progressing. He was content to just slide by on his athleticism. And once that began to diminish, he was a liability on the court.

I see Gordon with Malone-like desire to improve. The FT thing is mental. Can he overcome that? I don't know. There are many players who are monsters in practice (CJ Miles was one by all reports) that can't translate the shooting to games - at least not with any consistency.