What's new

AK watch

Not time to call it just yet, but the case for Jazz Misuse is at an all-time high. He's been almost as good as '03/'04 with eight more years on him. And that doesn't even count the fact that he has a bit more wear and tear on him than the average bear, considering his pro career started in his early teens and he's played quite a few summers.

Not time to call it just yet, but the case for Jazz Misuse is at an all-time high. He's been almost as good as '03/'04 with eight more years on him. And that doesn't even count the fact that he has a bit more wear and tear on him than the average bear, considering his pro career started in his early teens and he's played quite a few summers.

It would seem that the case for Slacker AK is also at an all-time high. Or am I missing something?

Take away all the games missed due to injury and he has less wear and tear than the average bear.

It would seem that the case for Slacker AK is also at an all-time high. Or am I missing something?

Well, obviously.

Actually, if you look earlier in the thread, I mentioned that this was going to be the forever unsolved argument no matter how he plays this year, but the evidence is mounting for a compelling argument against it all being slacking/effort. Personally, I viewed it as a spectrum, with the percentage of decline due to role and due to effort increasing in favor of the latter over his career at Utah.

Anyways, two things:

Holy crap, Ricky Rubio. I have seen the light. A seasoned lineup with Shved, AK, and Rubio will be incredible. He made Derrick Williams look like a #2 pick tonight...wait, he was?

Second, AK's on such a role right now that he's been the key player in games where he disappeared for entire halves. Thought he was pretty worthless for most of the night--effort was there--but he played a huge role in the fourth quarter and took over in OT.

And I know old Jazzfanz will laugh at this, but he's really emerging as the vocal leader on the court.

Reactions: MVP
I've been watching Minny and AK is playing better than ever because he's doing it without as much effort as he needed in the past. He's been making the key plays for them when they need it and rarely looking for his shot. Tonight, like Tater said he took over the beginning of the OT and pretty much sealed the game for Minny.

I think my days as a Jazz fan are numbered. I went back to watch the Jazz game and it seemed very boring.

Reactions: MVP
Second, AK's on such a role right now that he's been the key player in games where he disappeared for entire halves. Thought he was pretty worthless for most of the night--effort was there--but he played a huge role in the fourth quarter and took over in OT.

And I know old Jazzfanz will laugh at this, but he's really emerging as the vocal leader on the court.

Well he is one of the oldest guys in Minny, obviously he has reputation and they respect him a lot. And he leads by example diving for lose balls and defending everybody. Another double double tonight and sealing the win in overtime.

AK has been good, one of the best, everywhere he's been except for that stretch in Utah from about 2006-2010. Tater's comment about misuse seems to be pretty much spot on. Many jazzfanz - colton is not alone - claimed he was a slacker, but that is simply not AK. From the time he was 18, he has made a living being an effort player. Blocks, steals, passing, offensive rebounding - that's what he does. Those are effort stats. Misuse, indeed.

Nicholas Batum with the first 5x5 since AK tonight. Interesting, since he was the original target for Minny's SF search.

Nicholas Batum with the first 5x5 since AK tonight. Interesting, since he was the original target for Minny's SF search.

Not the player I was expecting to do this in regulation, very impressive. Same like old Tinsley who had it once in double overtime game. As great as LBJ, Kobe or Durant are they never had 5X5 yet.

Mediocre game yesterday. Still hard to peg this team as a whole, especially re: Kevin Love's impact.

Fun article on AK in Minny: https://www.foxsportsnorth.com/12/1...timberwolves.html?blockID=836689&feedID=10354

Best quote: "He's operating by his own set of rules -- just ask Rick Adelman. 'There are times, offensively, I'm not sure what he's doing,' the coach said in November. 'He's all over the place. But the effort he gives . . . you've got to give him freedom.'"

22/4/2/1 10-16 FG, 2-3 3pt in a loss vs Miami. Easily was the best player on the court matching or soemtimes even outplaying LBJ. No Rubio and Love with Pekovic missing tons of shots doomed them in second half.

I have always been a fan of AK. Im not in with the group of haters. I think he has a nice positive impact on the game. Its too bad that Jazz nation and the front office had it out for him. We could really use him right now.

What did he sign? 3 years 10 mil a piece? Well we just got Marvin for 8 mil at 2 years ( yes, he will opt in for the money) Marvin is garbage. Id take AK over Marvin anyday.

AK has faded in the last stretch. He's played some good defense--though Adelman inexplicably left Shved on Harden last night--but his offensive contributions have been much more in tune with latter-day AK, including some dreadful drives to the baskets and terrible finishes. FG% is dropping quickly. His minutes are also down a little, but that's to be expected.

Wish they would go ahead and bite the bullet and make Rubio the starter with Shved/Pek/Love/AK. Makes no sense to keep bringing him off the bench if he's not going to close games regardless.

20/5/4 game in a win over Suns. Kind of interesting 10-13 FG... no FT or 3s attempted. Next game vs Jazz!