What's new

AK watch

AK was best player on court again (18/6/0/0/4),

I'm just trying to understand how 18/6/0/0/4 is better than 23/7/2/0/4 from one of his teammates and 22/3/7/0/1 from another.

I get the love and all, but what was it that made someone that had a more efficient night not better that night? It's not about pretty. I will take 50% shooting and those stats every night from anyone no matter how ugly it is. They even had the same number of turnovers. I guess I'm curious if there are good reasons why Williams is crap when he performs like that, and AK is a hero.

I'm just trying to understand how 18/6/0/0/4 is better than 23/7/2/0/4 from one of his teammates and 22/3/7/0/1 from another.

Shved is arguable and possibly a better selection. His defense is still incredibly suspect, and he started taking some terrible off-balance jumpers in the fourth quarter during the attempted comeback, but for a rookie it was still a good to great performance.

With Williams, the big argument would be whether his defense was as good as AK's in this game. I would say no, but it's arguable. On offense, the only difference was that he made two or three more bad shots this game than usual. He's a **** passer and a black hole, and in the second half, his inability to decide when/if to shoot was a significant detriment. Sure, he scored five more points, but on seven more shots. And he fumbled away at least two AK passes for easy layups, which were part of his turnovers.

*shrug* Might be fanboyism on that one, but Williams just doesn't pass the eyeball test for me.

Shved is arguable and possibly a better selection. His defense is still incredibly suspect, and he started taking some terrible off-balance jumpers in the fourth quarter during the attempted comeback, but for a rookie it was still a good to great performance.

With Williams, the big argument would be whether his defense was as good as AK's in this game. I would say no, but it's arguable. On offense, the only difference was that he made two or three more bad shots this game than usual. He's a **** passer and a black hole, and in the second half, his inability to decide when/if to shoot was a significant detriment. Sure, he scored five more points, but on seven more shots. And he fumbled away at least two AK passes for easy layups, which were part of his turnovers.

*shrug* Might be fanboyism on that one, but Williams just doesn't pass the eyeball test for me.

It's possible, I don't live and die by stats because they don't tell the whole story. I know when AK is playing well he really helps the team a ton. I didn't watch the game, so I will take your word for it.

On the off balance shots, I would have to see them. I see Wade, Lebron, Kobe etc... take fadeaway, off balance shots all the time that don't even touch rim. It just depends on if that is a shot they have practiced to create space, or if it's just him chucking and getting lucky.

Thanks for the answer.

For full disclosure, Derrick Williams is my least favorite kind of player, the kind that will keep shooting no matter what the situation or how well he's doing. Add in a very low basketball IQ and bleh.

So, take anything I say about him with a grain of salt, I reckon.

For full disclosure, Derrick Williams is my least favorite kind of player, the kind that will keep shooting no matter what the situation or how well he's doing. Add in a very low basketball IQ and bleh.

So, take anything I say about him with a grain of salt, I reckon.

You just don't like him because he is black. Admit it!

It's a little awkward, but Derrick Williams and Brandon Roy probably both need to be demoted from the starting lineup. That won't seem white supremacist at all.

Brandon Roy situation might be taking care of itself. He's having to get knee surgery.

Disappointing. He was probably the third reason I was excited to follow this Timberwolves team. Doesn't end his season, really, but seems to be evidence that his early poor play was more than just rust.

Brandon Roy situation might be taking care of itself. He's having to get knee surgery.

Disappointing. He was probably the third reason I was excited to follow this Timberwolves team. Doesn't end his season, really, but seems to be evidence that his early poor play was more than just rust.

I predicted the Brandon Roy problems as soon as I heard he'd be coming back. Now we're just waiting for AK and his back spasms to catch up.

7/8/2/3/1 in a loss to the Nuggets. Boxscore is actually better than it should be, since he was pretty ineffective on both offense and defense.

Too soon to draw any real conclusions from this game, but I suspect this is going to be AK's worst stretch of the season until December without a significant lineup change. Ridnour has little to no creativity as a point guard and Love/Pek are not good passing big men. Love is a good enough player that they can still win some games, but it's going to be a few weeks of the Jekyll/Hyde offense we had tonight.

Yee. This team is turning into last year's Jazz. Way too many people fighting for minutes at three spots (PF/SF/C), hardly anyone to play at two other spots (SG/PG), plus contracts/high draft picks have created some rough situations where playing time doesn't necessarily equal contributions. Several problems could be solved by playing Shved/Barea--dribble penetration and better passing, though more bad decisions--over Ridnour, who is absolutely terrible at being a point guard, but doesn't seem to be in the offing.

And y'all will be happy to know that for the last three games AK has in fact looked like '10/'11 AK.

Not super familiar with Kevin Love's game, but his basic defense outside rebounding seems pretty rough, as well as his passing. Is this accurate?

Yee. This team is turning into last year's Jazz. Way too many people fighting for minutes at three spots (PF/SF/C), hardly anyone to play at two other spots (SG/PG), plus contracts/high draft picks have created some rough situations where playing time doesn't necessarily equal contributions. Several problems could be solved by playing Shved/Barea--dribble penetration and better passing, though more bad decisions--over Ridnour, who is absolutely terrible at being a point guard, but doesn't seem to be in the offing.

And y'all will be happy to know that for the last three games AK has in fact looked like '10/'11 AK.

Not super familiar with Kevin Love's game, but his basic defense outside rebounding seems pretty rough, as well as his passing. Is this accurate?

Is rebounding considered defense? I am unclear on this....

I saw Rubio doing some pre-game sprints on NBA gametime this morning and couldn't help but perk up a bit. I need somebody to save the PG spot in the NBA for me. I need a Peyton Manning of the NBA to watch. Don't let me down Ricky.

Last edited:
Rubio is the cure for what ails the team, no doubt. Just hope the team can stay afloat until he gets here.

Rubio cleared for full-contact practices. Get excited.

AK was good not great last night. Four turnovers, none of them particularly defensible. Did have a key exchange with a block on one end and a great pass for an easy layup on the other during crunchtime.