What's new

Alec Burks: 2013 - 2014 Season Mix

I'm definitely not a Burks homer, but I am very intrigued by what he and Exum might be able to do together in a couple of years.

The Michael Jordan of the Utah Jazz.

Ok now you can make fun of me. But I do see lots of resemblence in some parts of his game. If he could have a good mid range or three. Killer. And now Exum is racing near him. Jazz cutters are killer.

Last edited:
The Michael Jordan of the Utah Jazz.

Ok now you can make fun of me. But I do see lots of resemblence in some parts of hia game. If he could have a good mid range or three. Killer. And now Exum is racing near him. Jazz cutters are killer.

I watched so many games with my old man last year, and towards the end of the season when Burks was in full-fledged killer mode I kept trying to stop myself from saying he resembled MJ on his takes to the hoop because it seemed too ridiculous. But, seriously, I don't think the rest of the league's fans understand what Burks is capable of. Some of it is truly unstoppable.

I watched so many games with my old man last year, and towards the end of the season when Burks was in full-fledged killer mode I kept trying to stop myself from saying he resembled MJ on his takes to the hoop because it seemed too ridiculous. But, seriously, I don't think the rest of the league's fans understand what Burks is capable of. Some of it is truly unstoppable.
Dude I have been saying this since we drafted him! You are not alone in this.

He was the Colorado Bulldog. He is now the Wizard of Jazz.

I was since saying that he had the most potential and the highest ceiling in the roster. Still believe that.

Only if he develops the rest of his offensive game, and competes on defense like Jordan did.

Burks relies too heavily on driving. Before long defenders will pick up on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only if he develops the rest of his offensive game, and competes on defense like Jordan did.

Burks relies too heavily on driving. Before long defenders will pick up on it.

He's been in the league 3 years. I wonder how much longer "before long" will be.

This last year was his first year of getting heavy minutes

True. Burks is another player I want to see with a heavier role given by the new coach. I have the impression of QS giving Exum 25+ minutes a game as he is the highlight of his interviews. I am anxious to see Exum and Burks on the floor at the same time.

True. Burks is another player I want to see with a heavier role given by the new coach. I have the impression of QS giving Exum 25+ minutes a game as he is the highlight of his interviews. I am anxious to see Exum and Burks on the floor at the same time.

He had starter minutes last year, so we saw last year. I like Burks, but recognize that he needs to add to his overall game.

He had starter minutes last year, so we saw last year. I like Burks, but recognize that he needs to add to his overall game.

There is a perception among jazz fanz that burks is a poor shooter, poor passer and has alot that he needs to work on in his game..... this is a myth.

Burks is an elite penetrator/slasher/hoop get toer/foul drawer.... he is an ok shooter... good passer for his position/role in the offense..... and a good rebounder.

His defense is his only real weakness right now.

Reactions: JLT
There is a perception among jazz fanz that burks is a poor shooter, poor passer and has alot that he needs to work on in his game..... this is a myth.

Burks is an elite penetrator/slasher/hoop get toer/foul drawer.... he is an ok shooter... good passer for his position/role in the offense..... and a good rebounder.

His defense is his only real weakness right now.

I'm not in that group. I think he is a great passer, and respectable shooter that needs to be honored, but he relies too heavily on driving to the hoop for some awkward shots. He needs to utilize his midrange game and be a more willing passer when he dives to the hoop. Doing those things would give him a chance at being an Allstar caliber player and more possibly.

Right now he's too predictable. Everyone knows what he's going to do. Last year he caught teams by surprise, it will be tougher this year if he doesn't broaden his overall game.

But I know he can shoot and pass.

Burks is my favorite player on the team, I've been a homer since we drafted him but when it comes to watching highlight vids, I still love that Hayward vs. Lakers from 2 yrs back. I watched that thing like 30 times. I love watching Kobe staring at his hands as if they failed him. Anyway, here's to hoping for 82 games of that Hayward with Burks shredding defenses on their way to the playoffs. Coach Q gonna make it happen.

That crossover at the end where he finishes through three defenders is just sick.

The fact that it was against Foye makes it that much better.

All of his moves are pretty much at the moment, reading the defense. A lot of players have moves premeditated. If you watch Alec closely you'll see his soft touch he'll keep the ball safe away from the defenders until the rim. Good luck defending that. You're gonna need 2-3 bigs puppy guarding that rim.
He's already shown he's a spot up shooter, if he could do step-back jumpers, post up mid-fadeaways that would just be unfair. Especially if he put on 20 more lbs.

All of his moves are pretty much at the moment, reading the defense. A lot of players have moves premeditated. If you watch Alec closely you'll see his soft touch he'll keep the ball safe away from the defenders until the rim. Good luck defending that. You're gonna need 2-3 bigs puppy guarding that rim.
He's already shown he's a spot up shooter, if he could do step-back jumpers, post up mid-fadeaways that would just be unfair. Especially if he put on 20 more lbs.

This.

If he develops that and his defense, he'll be an absolute killer.

I'm confident Snyder can turn him into a defender. That jumper is up to him.