What's new

Archeologists find David's palace.

Beantown

Pretty interesting stuff. Just out of curiosity do atheists or non believers deny that the Bible has historical accuracies in it? Since they are all about the facts and evidence I'm assuming that can't deny all the archeologist evidence for the Bible.

Its not that they have to be Christian or believe in it spiritually but I always here atheists saying "The Bible is a bunch of made up stories". Just seems very hypocritical.

https://www.jpost.com/Features/In-Thespotlight/Archeologists-uncover-palace-from-Kingdom-of-David-320226

Just out of curiosity do atheists or non believers deny that the Bible has historical accuracies in it?

No.

Since they are all about the facts and evidence I'm assuming that can't deny all the archeologist evidence for the Bible.

I don't speak for atheists, but I think most will admit that Jerusalem was a real place. Jews exist. And Persians dominated for a bit.

Its not that they have to be Christian or believe in it spiritually but I always here atheists saying "The Bible is a bunch of made up stories".

Stories ≠ archaeology.

Just seems very hypocritical.

Huh?

Until evidence for the exodus is found atheists still have a leg to be skeptical. Keep in mind people didn't find evidence for the entire city of Troy until the late 19th century so historical evidence is hard to come by.

So the places existed but all the people in it didn't?

Well me and you probably believe in Cleopatra, Xerxes, and Julius Caesar but we don't believe they are descendants of the Gods. This is probably how an atheist views the Bible or the Qur'an.

I'm guessing that they believe that the people existed too but the mythology behind them did not indeed happen.

Like... I doubt any atheist would deny that Augustus existed. However, did an eagle drop a snake in his lap and that's how Julius decided that he should be his heir?

David existed. But was he strengthened by god or did he just get a lucky shot by slinging that rock and nailing Goliath in the head?

When I see posts from Beanclown regarding religion, I often think of a 17 LDS boy that has never stepped foot outside of Bountiful and has never heard opened a book or seen a television show his parents didnt want him to see.

Personally, I think this type of stuff is awesome. Like the finding of Herod the Great's tomb. But I don't think it validates the authenticity of the Bible. The Bibe obvious does have some historic value to it. The question is the religious part. And if you want to dig deeper, which religion? And even deeper, which Bible and which translation and language? And "what" is the Bible anyway? The way it came together leaves some room for skepticism. Isn't that one of the main points LDS Missionaries try to make when talking about the BOM vs Bibe?

Pretty interesting stuff. Just out of curiosity do atheists or non believers deny that the Bible has historical accuracies in it? Since they are all about the facts and evidence I'm assuming that can't deny all the archeologist evidence for the Bible.

I'm pretty sure some of my son's old Sesame Street books have some historical accuracies in them.

Does that mean Oscar the Grouch is real? How about Big Bird?

How about Snuffleupagus? Now that's an interesting question because in Sesame Street Big Bird claims Snuffleupagus is real and yet no one has actually seen him except Big Bird.

I think Snuffleupagus is Jesus.

Its not that they have to be Christian or believe in it spiritually but I always here atheists saying "The Bible is a bunch of made up stories". Just seems very hypocritical.

https://www.jpost.com/Features/In-T...s-uncover-palace-from-Kingdom-of-David-320226

I don't know much about this at all, but I always assumed David was a real historical figure. Him having a real palace doesn't blow my mind.

There's also a Pope and a Vatican, fyi. If that strengthens your faith more power to you.

I don't know much about this at all, but I always assumed David was a real historical figure. Him having a real palace doesn't blow my mind.

There's also a Pope and a Vatican, fyi. If that strengthens your faith more power to you.

I was more referring to atheist that make fun of the Bible saying that its just a bunch of made up stories. Atheists will rip the Bible apart but yet Archaeology keeps proving the Bible to be failry accurate in terms of the people in the Bible as well as places. As well as matching up with the time frames.

Again I'm not saying this should make anyone a believer or becomes religious. I stated that before but everyone I guess didn't read that part. I am just saying Atheist can no longer just brush off the Bible as bunch of made up stories. Archeology has proven time and time again that many of these people and places did exist.

I was more referring to atheist that make fun of the Bible saying that its just a bunch of made up stories. Atheists will rip the Bible apart but yet Archaeology keeps proving the Bible to be failry accurate in terms of the people in the Bible as well as places. As well as matching up with the time frames.

Again I'm not saying this should make anyone a believer or becomes religious. I stated that before but everyone I guess didn't read that part. I am just saying Atheist can no longer just brush off the Bible as bunch of made up stories. Archeology has proven time and time again that many of these people and places did exist.

Devils advocate here.

Just because the person and place are real does not mean the story is.

Again, I never said they need to believe in it for spiritual reasons, but they can't just brush it off as a book of fiction.

Having parts of it proven true does make that harder to do in my eyes. However that doe snot mean it is all true as Numb said.

I think seeing these things being proven is cool.