What's new

Archie Moses and I went on a date.

Looks like a rainbow to me. How did you determine it was a Koke? I can never tell differences so I throw them all back to be safe.

I also thought it was a Rainbow at first. It had some of the bluest lines running along its back that I've ever seen -- and I've seen more rainbow trout than probably anyone here -- and it wasn't slimy like most trout, but had a rougher, more scaly body. Also, we asked a couple of regulars out there what they thought of it, and they said it was definitely not a rainbow, and even thought it could be a Silver Salmon. Found this online: "the sockeye salmon is called the kokanee or silver trout when it resides in fresh waterways." I'm going to go with the local guys who know more than me. Either way, it was an amazing fish.

I hunt big game for sport. It's necessary here and much more humane than winter starvation kills or getting eaten alive by a cougar.

Deer002.jpg

This is the small buck I took last year on the general draw muzzle loader hunt. I put a .50 caliber slug in his *** and another in his heart. I normally wouldn't shoot such a small buck but this one had some cool character on one of the right tines that I wanted to get a closer look at.

Small one? Haha, please. I have no desire to murder big beautiful animals, but if other people do, that's fine by me. I understand population control, etc. and I LOVE deer and elk meat.

I really don't think that was a koke, but if you insist.

13 years of Canadian education (in Alberta, mind you) has done nothing but taught me about the great things about hunting, and how crucial it is to get out and become one with the wilderness. You're in for a surprise :)

mantracker2.jpg

b-1.jpg

^ watch out for those guys.

Apparently they gotta watch out for you:)

Lol, I don't want to hack the guy's thread but it's pretty clear for me, being human is using good abilities(such as finding solutions to the problems) of human as much as possible, not being as much as natural. I had sufi education from my early childhood, killing is the LAST option for me. Hey at least it's an option, so yeah I'm wild as much as you are!

@franklin, How even and when did you kill that poor buck? Everyone here knows very well that you're drunk as a fiddler 99.9% of the time when you are awake.

Or as a monkey...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmnzIhbX2bg

I also thought it was a Rainbow at first. It had some of the bluest lines running along its back that I've ever seen -- and I've seen more rainbow trout than probably anyone here -- and it wasn't slimy like most trout, but had a rougher, more scaly body. Also, we asked a couple of regulars out there what they thought of it, and they said it was definitely not a rainbow, and even thought it could be a Silver Salmon. Found this online: "the sockeye salmon is called the kokanee or silver trout when it resides in fresh waterways." I'm going to go with the local guys who know more than me. Either way, it was an amazing fish.

I really don't think that was a koke, but if you insist.

They'll know when it's cooked. It's really hard to tell the difference depending on the water. The planter bows in Deer Creek are mostly silver with little rainbow. I pulled one of the few kokanees into the shallows and there wasn't a whole lot of difference other than a darker back. I had no idea they were even in there until I looked up this fish that just didn't look trout to me.

Small one? Haha, please. I have no desire to murder big beautiful animals, but if other people do, that's fine by me. I understand population control, etc. and I LOVE deer and elk meat.

I'll keep you in mind this fall then.

I have little desire and would give it up if it wasn't sentimental and tradition. I take a bow or gun because it adds enough excitement to sitting in the woods for hours. I love getting close to the animals but it's hard to maintain without the thrill of the kill. I've only killed two deer and have let many go to grow. I also never offer to let the person who didn't draw shoot mine for me (wink, wink). I have more fun chucking rocks at the small, curious bucks when they won't leave me alone than shooting something. That's when the fun ends and work begins.

So you're a vegetarian?

Nope, but I said as much as possible... For example, I'd be veg if I had the all opportunities to feed my body healtily and enough, actually it's doable these modern days but it's a budget issue for me, hell I already don't eat much meat but it's irrelevant.

Again for example, I'm all for it, one day human being can be capable for feeding itself without killing any animal or even any veg, I'd like to make it clear, I grew up with SF-Fantasy books, so I'm rooting for a future which we can make an ideal-close to ideal world(or other platforms). Not killing another living is just a small part of it. In my believe, in Anatolian Islam Tasavvuf(sufism), people have the limited attributions of god's unlimited powers, so they have to use them in the best possible way one can imagine.

None of the pictured fish are kokes... I just see rainbows and smallies... maybe a pic has been deleted?

Here is a pic of a Flaming Gorge Koke. You'll notice how silver it is on the sides, and almost blue on the top of the back. It also has a tail that is almost forked, as opposed to a trout.

kokanee_salmon.jpg

Also, FWIW, I have caught a few kokes this time of year at the Gorge from my float tube on the fly. Kokes will follow the plankton they feed on (or whatever it's called). Early in the morning their food will be shallower, moving deeper as the water temp and sun rises. Small brightly colored streamers have worked for me... like chartreuse, red, pink, etc.

As it gets later in the day, use the spinning rod and a kastmaster to vertically jig for them. It can be hit and miss... the kokes travel around in schools. But if you get into a zone where they are come in and out of, you can do really well.

Nice fish! I am jealous!

Nope, but I said as much as possible.
So you're a hypocrite. Or you just find it more palatable to eat tortured, imprisoned animals than those who actually had a life to enjoy in the first place. Or perhaps you're just a dishonorable coward, requiring others to kill for you and then disdaining them for doing so. Got it.

Your string is hanging out.

I didn't understand it.

I believe he was referencing your use of feminine hygiene products...

IMG-20120611-00974.jpg

No way this is a Koke. The face is too rounded. Plus, when not breeding, Kokes are plain silver. They don't have all the color.

2315602889_ee574b1752_o.jpg

If it's not a Bow, my guess is that it's a hybrid.

That said, I spent my weekend in Yellowstone. I'd been there when I was 16 but had forgotten what an amazing place it is. 100 yards into the East Gate we saw bison. Another 100 yards and there were two large Big Horn Sheep on a ledge next to the road. We saw beaver, osprey, bison, mountain goats, bison, deer, Canadian geese leading around a heard of gosslings, ducks, hawks and even a lone moose. What we didn't see was a frickin' bear. And that's just the wildlife. The natural formations are amazing as well. I could have spent a week there and not gotten tired of it. Well, except for the millions of Japanese tourists. They have no problem pushing you out of the way for a good photo op. There was one lady I wanted to chuck over the falls. Did I mention the thousands of ladybugs?

So you're a hypocrite. Or you just find it more palatable to eat tortured, imprisoned animals than those who actually had a life to enjoy in the first place. Or perhaps you're just a dishonorable coward, requiring others to kill for you and then disdaining them for doing so. Got it.

Damn, a little harsh. I think he means well.

If I were to look at the picture alone I would say it's a rainbow. When trout took the picture of me holding the fish it had been dead for about two hours. I don't know why there's pink on the fish in the picture, but the fish was completely silver - the pink color must be reflecting off of something. I've been an avid fisherman my whole life and I've never caught anything that felt or looked like it - it was very scalely and it wasn't slimy at all. The whole spine of it was completely blue and turquoise. Like trout said, we asked some locals there who fish there all the time and the guy was positive it was a salmon.

Don't you hate that it's ended? hehepeepeecaca

Are you talking about the largest fish pictured? It's def a rainbow or a rainbow hybrid. The spots are also very telling. The shape of the fish and the tail are also sure bet signs it is not a koke.