What's new

August 19 --> ENES KANTER's is staring now :) >>Turkey - Greece<<< LIVE MATCH LINK HERE :) <<<

Re-sign Koufos and trade him for Dirk, in a hurry!

To be fair to Kosta he was never given a chance to play by Sloan... I still see him as pretty good big man in the NBA in the future, maybe this Eurobasket2011 tourney will help him to gain confidence and regular minutes. So far in friendlies he is performing very well.

Well, I'm sad I missed this one. Sounds like Kanter had his best game today.

Can someone describe the shots he made? Jump shots? Hook shots?

To be fair to Kosta he was never given a chance to play by Sloan... I still see him as pretty good big man in the NBA in the future, maybe this Eurobasket2011 tourney will help him to gain confidence and regular minutes. So far in friendlies he is performing very well.

Kosta had plenty of chances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF0KoqUl5f0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Once he starts getting those easy ones to go his scoring will jump quite a bit. Needs to get his basketball legs underneath him. Probably could have had close to 15 points had he made some of those short put backs.

Well, I'm sad I missed this one. Sounds like Kanter had his best game today.

Can someone describe the shots he made? Jump shots? Hook shots?
He missed 2 bunnies and a hook shot, and was probably goaltended (although it looks less egregious in the video below) on his final miss (edit: It looks like that was probably changed to a goaltend call, so I'm not sure what his fourth miss was). He also made a nice baseline move that almost certainly would have been a bucket if not for a mysterious traveling call. His D (both help and man, which included a chunk out on the perimeter in the second half), rebounding and transition play were very good (arguably the best on the team).

This is the first chance I've had to watch him play. Dude could use some training to get more lift around the basket (which would have turned his two missed layups into buckets), and needs to work on setting better screens and being stronger/more aware with the ball in his hands (once or twice when a teammate passed the ball to him, he waited for the ball to arrive, turning (an) easy pass(es) into (a) turnover(s)), but he looks like an NBA player for sure. His rebounding should translate right away I'd guess, as he's immovable on the defensive end, and fights for position/the ball on the offensive end. He almost grabbed two offensive boards off missed free throws, with one of the two ricocheting to one of his teammates (which was only made possible by Kanter's aggressiveness/strength).

Hopefully he and Asik get more time on the court tomorrow, as they seem to be the only Turkish players committed to playing defense. I'm curious to see if Kanter can hit cutters (Asik's cuts to the basket were fun to watch) operating down on the block.

Thanks for the vid. He continues to make good post moves but seems oblivious to double teams and potential shot blockers. For instance at :21 he draws the double from the 7 footer Mbenga and gets swatted (possible goal tend I know), when an easy dump off pass to Semih would have resulted clearly in a easy 2. On our team a pass there results in a thunderous dunk by Favors. He needs to be thining pass first to succeed in the NBA where he no longer has a clear size advantage. Part of that is probably being desperate for playing time and feels pressured to score in the few minutes he does get.

When is the next Turkey game?
Also, when does the actual tournament begin?

ok here it is:

tomorrow 07.15 am(utah local time) turkey-germany

24/08 adidas cup istanbul turkey-new zeland 12.00 noon utah local time
25/08 turkey-ukrain/montenegro(i will post the starting time later)

31/08 fiba europan championship turkey-(finland or portugal) 08.45 am (utah local)

AKMVP - you know what? i've thought he is better than Asik and Erden.

They are more experienced players than Enes thats why they make the difference now, but Enes is much better by potential. Especially Asik doesnt have much upside in offense

i agree

So playing 4.8min in 36 games in his second season is plenty of chances? To me it looks like he was in Sloan's doghouse more then dressing for the games.
And exactly what did Kosta do this past season for Minnesota and Denver? Can't blame his 2010-11 stats on Sloan.
He's an above average shooter for a big man, although he's streaky...there were times he couldn't hit the broadside of the ESA, especially his second year. Kosta will be a career back-up.

And exactly what did Kosta do this past season for Minnesota and Denver? Can't blame his 2010-11 stats on Sloan.
He's an above average shooter for a big man, although he's streaky...there were times he couldn't hit the broadside of the ESA, especially his second year. Kosta will be a career back-up.
What did KK do? Glad you asked. Although his average with Minny was an underwhelming 43.5%, he went 50% on FG's with the Nugs, good for maintaining a respectable career 48%+ FG overall. THAT's what he did with the time he was given--which totals over four seasons what most bigs need in one season to progress. In KoKo's case, we're talking the equivalent of less than 15 minutes per 80 games, or half as many minutes in four seasons than Greg Ostertag--nary a big-man bastion of discipline or even skill--had in his first two seasons.

Was it because of the Big O's statistical superiority? No .... He averaged around 50% FGs in his first two years, only mildly higher than KK's 48%. What about rebounds--a key benchmark for big men? Well, Ostertag averaged right around 9 RBs per 30 minutes vs. 8 RBP30 for KoKo.

Sorry, Glassy. Kosta is only one of a litany of centers who (with a minimal amount of development) could make / have made a positive contribution at the much-understaffed 5 spot on the Jazz if they had only got the requisite on-court playing time. (KoKo only trailed Ostertag mildly in production after only half the minutes in his career. It's reasonable to imagine that he could close that gap with similar PT.) But instead of efforting to find the minutes for these developing bigs, Sloan (and possibly his successor) preferred to usually go with his prized Matador and Torero, Boozer and Okur (plus a usually good choice in Millsap, but not requiring so many minutes for the minimum development time that he needed), more often than not, even when it wouldn't have change the outcome of the game (except possibly getting aroudn to it in the last 3 to 5 minutes of the game), and even when such backup bigdoes take his precious scraps of minutes and does something good with them--but often didn't get rewarded for it with more modest regular minutes.

Yes, it's true that Kosta was streaky. But he was also young. And he usually worked hard. And he was making progress before Sloan starved his court time to barely nil. BTW, you could replace Kosta's name with that Ukrainian 7-footer--his name escapes me /sarcasm/--who was a diffference in turning the momentum in multiple games over his few seasons with the Jazz, even though his shot was also erratic. Oh, and there's that Brazilian backup big who neutralized Tim Duncan in a game or two in the playoffs despite having T-Rex arms and a sometimes uncontrollable strength. Was this a highly damaging pattern over multiple years during the Sloan regime? You bet. Was it even restricted to the 5 spot? No way. Exhibit 1 (really Exhibit 2 given that he errantly played SG a lot): Derek "40% FG all season, yet we remember you when you flied back into town and helped the Jazz win a solitary game after stiffing the Moran Eye Center on your daughter's care" Fisher.

Last edited:
Turkey's NBA players

1.) Hedo Turkoglu >> Orlando Magic
2.) Omer Asik >> Chicago Bulls
3.) Semih Erdem >> Clevland Cavaliers
4.) Ersan İlyasova >> Milwaukee Bucks
5.) Enes Kanter >> Utah Jazz
6.) Emir Preldzic >> Phoenix Suns (2nd round, 57th overall, 2009)
7.) Mehmet Okur >> Utah Jazz

Then you have to count Cenk Akyol as well who was drafted by the Atlanta Hawks in 2005 with the 59th pick.

What did KK do? Glad you asked. Although his average with Minny was an underwhelming 43.5%, he went 50% on FG's with the Nugs, good for maintaining a respectable career 48%+ FG overall. THAT's what he did with the time he was given--which totals over four seasons what most bigs need in one season to progress. In KoKo's case, we're talking the equivalent of less than 15 minutes per 80 games, or half as many minutes in four seasons than Greg Ostertag--nary a big-man bastion of discipline or even skill--had in his first two seasons.

Was it because of the Big O's statistical superiority? No .... He averaged around 50% FGs in his first two years, only mildly higher than KK's 48%. What about rebounds--a key benchmark for big men? Well, Ostertag averaged right around 9 RBs per 30 minutes vs. 8 RBP30 for KoKo.

Sorry, Glassy. Kosta is only one of a litany of centers who (with a minimal amount of development) could make / have made a positive contribution at the much-understaffed 5 spot on the Jazz if they had only got the requisite on-court playing time. (KoKo only trailed Ostertag mildly in production after only half the minutes in his career. It's reasonable to imagine that he could close that gap with similar PT.) But instead of efforting to find the minutes for these developing bigs, Sloan (and possibly his successor) preferred to usually go with his prized Matador and Torero, Boozer and Okur (plus a usually good choice in Millsap, but not requiring so many minutes for the minimum development time that he needed), more often than not, even when it wouldn't have change the outcome of the game (except possibly getting aroudn to it in the last 3 to 5 minutes of the game), and even when such backup bigdoes take his precious scraps of minutes and does something good with them--but often didn't get rewarded for it with more modest regular minutes.

Yes, it's true that Kosta was streaky. But he was also young. And he usually worked hard. And he was making progress before Sloan starved his court time to barely nil. BTW, you could replace Kosta's name with that Ukrainian 7-footer--his name escapes me /sarcasm/--who was a diffference in turning the momentum in multiple games over his few seasons with the Jazz, even though his shot was also erratic. Oh, and there's that Brazilian backup big who neutralized Tim Duncan in a game or two in the playoffs despite having T-Rex arms and a sometimes uncontrollable strength. Was this a highly damaging pattern over multiple years during the Sloan regime? You bet. Was it even restricted to the 5 spot? No way. Exhibit 1 (really Exhibit 2 given that he errantly played SG a lot): Derek "40% FG all season, yet we remember you when you flied back into town and helped the Jazz win a solitary game after stiffing the Moran Eye Center on your daughter's care" Fisher.

Let me get this straight, you are comparing Koufas to Ostertag and saying he's not as good... as a defense for his "improved" performance?

Shut up. Kosta sucked and played like he was 6'5 and had 0 confidence.