What's new

August 20:Big Match Turkey&Germany-Enes Kanter&Dirk Nowitzki match is starting now:) live Link here

I'm not sure if it's been posted yet, but here are his combined stats v. Belgium and Germany:

27:27 Minutes
6-12 FG
7-9 FT
19 Points
12 Rebounds (5-7-12)
0 Assists
1 Steal
0 Blocks
2 Turnovers
2 PF (7 Fouls Drawn)

even though enes kanter has been great, he does not get as much playing time as he deserves. turkey's coach might be the worst coach i have ever seen and the guards even don't deserve to be on the floor.

The coaching is absolutely the worst, ever.

GVC: The 7 fouls drawn vs. 2 PF's is impressive, nice stat.

I didn't see this game, but if the biggest concern we have for our newly-turned 19-year-old not-even-rookie (on national team with bad coaching) are passing and setting good screens and he's STILL producing like he is, then we have a lot to be excited about.

I know you have to be wary about extrapolating production from limited minutes, but holy crap.

That said, my biggest complaint with Jefferson has been his absence of anything resembling a passing game. So hopefully these two problems are just symptomatic of his lack of knowledge of the system they're running (or lack thereof?) and general lack of experience on the court. I think it would be fair to say that is the case at this stage.

Something about his screening that I don't think has been mentioned is that he is CONSTANTLY screening, non-stop, and it becomes more of a focal point of discussion.

I hadn't seen Asik play very much (I may have seen him in spot minutes for the Bulls last year) before yesterday. His dives to the basket and hammer dunks are really fun to watch, and I was surprised how crafty he is with his back to the basket. I wouldn't be surprised if he supplants Boozer in the Bulls' rotations sometime in the next couple years (although his free throw shooting looks pretty bad, and his skill set duplicates Joakim Noah's more than a little bit).

Omer Asik has a big phsycal advantage over Noah, and if he starts to add some offensive plays to his game, he may take his place. But he is still too raw on the offensive end

Kanter's more of a 4 than a 5, and, despite my post above, somewhat duplicates Big Al. JV is a prototypical 5, and has HUGE defensive potential. For whatever reason, despite his gaudy per-minute numbers in Europe the last few years (in U-18 tourneys, in the Euroleague, etc.), JV wasn't in the conversation at #3, but he would have made a lot of sense. If the Jazz FO view Favors as #1 on the 4/5 depth chart moving forward, however, Kanter perhaps is a better fit.

If you believe that Favors is the future for the Jazz at PF the drafting JV doesn't make sense. They are more similar than people might believe. Both are better defenders than offensive weapons. Both are limited offensive players that will never be an offesive juggernaut. Both have great wing spans. Both have good to great athleticism.

Kanter and Favors are a much better combo the JV and Favors.

Hedo? I think hes just insisting on playing veterans for whatever reason, or perhaps as someone mentioned, simply lineup testing. If hes smart he'll realize the impact players like Ilyasova, Kanter and Asik had on this game and will play them together in the Eurobasket. These games are meaningless, after all. I mean the Turkish coach cant possibly be THAT stupid, I haven't coached a lick of basketball and I am noticing this, I am expecting him to see it as well. Quite frankly I cannot wait till the actual tournie starts, we'll see how the coach performs legitmately then.

Last year in world champ. Ilyasova was the best player and Asik, Hedo , Erden, Tunceri was the other players to have great performance. But we were good as a team, playing very good defense. Right now, i dont have much hope for semi final, but at least i hope to see Kanter getting enough mins. Because he is obviously much better than other Centers except Asik and Erden, and these 2 guys recently recovered from injury. So i think after this game Kanter got a lot more confidence and his chances to get major mins increased.
Btw Hedo is a guy encouraging young players all the time so he would help them even more in the tourney

^ agree with both posts. Asik as of right now is certainly not stronger than Noah, nor has Erdin done anything profound in the past 4 games to my knowledge.

Seems like he's a bit more comfortable now with a few games under his belt. Some observations:

- He's gonna create some mis-matches whether he's playing Center (he'll be too quick for some) or playing PF (he'll be too strong for some)
- He's good at boxing out using his strength and getting rebounds (rather than out leaping opponents ala Favors)
- He'll continue to improve on his game - he seems to have that 'can do' attitude and definitely not a lazy player

If you believe that Favors is the future for the Jazz at PF the drafting JV doesn't make sense. They are more similar than people might believe. Both are better defenders than offensive weapons. Both are limited offensive players that will never be an offesive juggernaut. Both have great wing spans. Both have good to great athleticism.

Kanter and Favors are a much better combo the JV and Favors.

I respectfully disagree. JV and Favors would be better combo IMHO as JV is much more typical center then Kanter. Kanter is to small to play center in NBA and best centers are usually great help defenders and shot blockers - and Kanter is neither. Kanter is post up, isolation type guy ( as I said same like Jefferson ), while JV is pick and roll, hustle player - think which one would fit better in Jazz pass happy offense? If you watched JV play in friendlies recently you would see that he is posting better offensive numbers then Kanter and it is not even close. Plus JV is taller and has longer wingspan and he still might be growing as he added about 15lbs in single year. Plus why would you say Favors and JV is limited offensively? I do not see any limits for any of them, C.Ford and D.Aldridge from ESPN said JV's best case turn out in NBA is P.Gasol - that is better offensive player then A.Horford to whom Kanter is compared. Post up moves is one thing, you need to look at whole picture like FG%, FT%, ability to draw fouls and so on.
Anyway it is water under the bridge now as we have Kanter and JV is Raptor, plus it will take about 3-4 years I think to say for sure if Jazz got it right with this pick. We will see. I wish I would have crystal ball, lol:)

Just check those videos from recent friendlies to see JV in action to have better idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0bPKro0Kag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHdlKApBuTA&feature=related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stQqOhB98vw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP2Vmt4KenM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XypNzblBTow&feature=related

Seems like he's a bit more comfortable now with a few games under his belt. Some observations:

- He's gonna create some mis-matches whether he's playing Center (he'll be too quick for some) or playing PF (he'll be too strong for some)
- He's good at boxing out using his strength and getting rebounds (rather than out leaping opponents ala Favors)
- He'll continue to improve on his game - he seems to have that 'can do' attitude and definitely not a lazy player
A thought I've had for quite a while now is that you might be BEST served to play two players that are legitimate PF/Cs instead of true, locked-in position players. If Kanter and Favors sniff their potential... other teams are going to have a lot of trouble, especially since Favors and Kanter's strengths and weaknesses seem to fit very nicely together on paper. With exception to passing, they both have an exceptionally long way to go there.

But getting more to the point, I agree that Kanter COULD really be a SERIOUS matchup problem if he can keep or even increase his agility.

A thought I've had for quite a while now is that you might be BEST served to play two players that are legitimate PF/Cs instead of true, locked-in position players. If Kanter and Favors sniff their potential... other teams are going to have a lot of trouble, especially since Favors and Kanter's strengths and weaknesses seem to fit very nicely together on paper. With exception to passing, they both have an exceptionally long way to go there.

But getting more to the point, I agree that Kanter COULD really be a SERIOUS matchup problem if he can keep or even increase his agility.

I actually think favors is a pretty well developed passer, he has great vision for a big man.

I respectfully disagree. JV and Favors would be better combo IMHO as JV is much more typical center then Kanter. Kanter is to small to play center in NBA and best centers are usually great help defenders and shot blockers - and Kanter is neither. Kanter is post up, isolation type guy ( as I said same like Jefferson ), while JV is pick and roll, hustle player - think which one would fit better in Jazz pass happy offense? If you watched JV play in friendlies recently you would see that he is posting better offensive numbers then Kanter and it is not even close. Plus JV is taller and has longer wingspan and he still might be growing as he added about 15lbs in single year. Plus why would you say Favors and JV is limited offensively? I do not see any limits for any of them, C.Ford and D.Aldridge from ESPN said JV's best case turn out in NBA is P.Gasol - that is better offensive player then A.Horford to whom Kanter is compared. Post up moves is one thing, you need to look at whole picture like FG%, FT%, ability to draw fouls and so on.
Anyway it is water under the bridge now as we have Kanter and JV is Raptor, plus it will take about 3-4 years I think to say for sure if Jazz got it right with this pick. We will see. I wish I would have crystal ball, lol:)

With all due respects to the 'experts' on ESPN - I'd say that's a marginal comparison at best...

With all due respects to the 'experts' on ESPN - I'd say that's a marginal comparison at best...

well, before the draft I was thinking it was way to much for him. I think at best he is poor mans big AL. Solid rebounder, but I do not see him as 20/10 player as some fans imagining.

Erden hasn't impressed me at all these last two games.

Erden is a very good player, i think he has potential to be better than Asik but he is kinda inconsistent, he doesnt seem to work hard enough.
Come on, i dont agree Noah is stronger than Asik. Asik is really big, and he is a very dominant defender. Noah always seems too light to be a center to me,

well, before the draft I was thinking it was way to much for him. I think at best he is poor mans big AL. Solid rebounder, but I do not see him as 20/10 player as some fans imagining.

You shouldnt look from the aspect that who is PF who is C, you should try to see who is the best couple together. Favors and Kanter have much more complementary skills than JV and Favors. JV would be a better fit to Big Al than Kanter but not to Favors.
If you really wanna make it clear who is PF and C, i would say, Favors looks like a more C than PF while Kanter vice versa