What's new

Ayton

I think he’d be fine for a year. If you don’t want to go that route, then add some other veteran big that ends up on the outside looking in - Jazz have an open role for a starting center. I’m sure they can fill that spot for cheap for this season and still get decent production.

Worst case scenario, they can nab a guy for one of the trade exceptions and open up cap space for somebody else. Or pick up a halfway decent center while flipping any of Conley, Bogdanovic, Beverley or Beasley.
I rather a stretch 5 or a center that can stretch the d, I cringed having to watch him and Rudy play pretty much identical, we only mixed it up when we had Juancho but then it was too late

I like adding Ayton, but I'm not paying him a max deal. I would offer him the same thing Brunson just got - 4 years $104

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

I wouldn’t offer him four years. Not the prudent move. I doubt anyone else offers him four years either.

How many teams have real salary cap space?

I think just Toronto really.

I view Ayton as a blue chip kind of player. He's gotten better every year, he has a decently well rounder game, and doesn't have any locker room problems.

I get the idea behind tanking, but you can still get the guy and tank IF you can dump Conley and Bojan and just play minimum guys.
I like everything but the tank part. We’re not a tank team and there is no generational talent coming out next year anyway. We give up one of our 2023 picks to get her done and we still have two next year anyway. To reiterate, even if we deal Mitchell, we’re going to have enough to compete next year IMO.

Would we have to give up Don to get Ayton? Sounds like he'd be necessary for Brooklyn to give up KD

Send him a max contract offer now.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Yes.
My concern with Ayton is his attitude and meltdown in the playoffs. His lack of drawing fouls. I don't think he has earned a Max deal yet. He is very gifted and young. Has a ton of talent but I have doubts about his desire, mental make up and focus.
He's very young still. He was rushed into a contender from day 1, and trust me not everyone has the mentality that Donovan Mitchell has.
I view Ayton as a blue chip kind of player. He's gotten better every year, he has a decently well rounder game, and doesn't have any locker room problems.

I get the idea behind tanking, but you can still get the guy and tank IF you can dump Conley and Bojan and just play minimum guys.
My man. Speaking the facts. Bring Ayton here if we're rebuilding and he will become the new backbone of the team. I see a developed Ayton easily getting 28/12 in this league because he has a lot of potential and room to grow. Give him the keys, and let him develop the right way a #1 pick should develop.

What are the parameters of a sign and trade? If the Jazz included Mitchell in a trade for Durant could Ayton sign and trade to the Jazz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I agree he's earned some back up minutes there is no reason whatsoever to think he can stay healthy. His injury history is just so discouraging.
Yes, of course that is a concern and hopefully behind him. But assuming we get Ayton which I feel we should, we’ve already got Dok, Kessler and Cockburn as potential backups. That should be sufficient IMO.

I don't think I've seen anyone address this fully, but please tell me if my assumptions are wrong:

• Ayton holds a lot of cards in the negotiations taking place (probably including in the resolution of the Durant issue). And for him, there's no hurry.
  • Ayton's top priority is probably to see if there's any team willing to offer a max extension, of the type that would make it impossible to pair him with Ben Simmons (either in Brooklyn or Utah), or with Donovan in Brooklyn
  • Because of the matching clock that starts with restricted free agency, there's no incentive for him to find (or any team to offer) him a contract before the moratorium ends (is it July 6?). Therefore he's unlikely (unless he absolutely knows that either no team in the league will offer him a max, or that a desirable destination for him that inserts itself into the KD negotiations is offering him the max) to agree to anything before the moratorium ends.
  • Unless there's no market out there in the whole league for Ayton at all (which won't be known for at least several days), any talk of the Jazz getting Ayton cheap in a KD trade is likely only to refer to what's required to go out for him, not what we'd have to pay him. The only way we're getting him is if he concludes it's in his best interests to come to Utah and that likely means a max or something very close.

Ayton will come a lot cheaper than Gobert for almost same stats?
23 years old. 21 points per game, 12.5 rebounds per game, 0.8 blocks per game. 63% from the field, 37% from 3 (wow! much better than I thought). 75% from the line. I saw teams try to guard ayton with 6 foot 8 dudes and the suns could dump it down to him in the post and he would easily make a little baby hook over the top of them.

Rudy: 29 years old, 17.5 point per game, 16.4 rebounds per game, 2.3 blocks per game. 71% from the field, 0% from 3, and 69% from the line. (both guys stats are per 36 btw) When a 6 foot 8 guy guarded rudy we would never dump it down to him cause we knew nothing good would come of it.

Ayton is cheaper too. Gobert is the harder worker and the better defender no doubt but on paper they aren't that much different and someone could argue that Ayton is better due to his offensive ability. The 23 years old thing is pretty awesome.

My concern with Ayton is his attitude and meltdown in the playoffs. His lack of drawing fouls. I don't think he has earned a Max deal yet. He is very gifted and young. Has a ton of talent but I have doubts about his desire, mental make up and focus.
There is the issue. Think is he would not be available if he didn't have those issues. No way in hell. So maybe a new coach and new team can fix some of those issues? Idk but it wouldn't take much to get him and he did work out could be an amazing steal.

The only reason you’re getting Ayton so cheap is because he’s a free agent. He’s worth way more than 1-2 bad first round picks. Later on if you decide that you want cap space or more assets to get a wing, you can very easily move Ayton for more than you gave up for him. It’s like printing money.

If your intentions are to use space next year or to go after a wing, you’re way better off doing that with Ayton on your roster than two bad firsts.
Good point

I rather a stretch 5 or a center that can stretch the d, I cringed having to watch him and Rudy play pretty much identical, we only mixed it up when we had Juancho but then it was too late
37% from 3