What's new

Best Places to Eat in Utah Thread

Utah has had it good with burgers for a long time due to a relatively large Greek population that for some reason got into the fire grilled burger game big time and put pastrami and fry sauce on top. But my personal opinion is that Apollo has gone way down hill while at the same time expanding like crazy. I don't know but I'd guess some investment firm bought them out. Astro Burger and Crown Burger are still pretty legit.
Utah has had it good with burgers for a long time due to a relatively large Greek population that for some reason got into the fire grilled burger game big time and put pastrami and fry sauce on top. But my personal opinion is that Apollo has gone way down hill while at the same time expanding like crazy. I don't know but I'd guess some investment firm bought them out. Astro Burger and Crown Burger are still pretty legit.
Yeah you got that right. Even when I was there Astro was right there with Crown.
So now the mind is diving back 35+ years...Robitino’s , Shaky’s pizza, ZCMI restaurant at cottwood mall (ha), Jacob’s Grill(NOBODY will remember that one). Tres Hombres, Two guy’s from Italy. Chuckarama (lol). Maybe I was in a different dimension or something!

If I was to make my own fry sauce, how would you do it? Online says it’s 1/3 ketchup and 2/3 mayo.

Sound right? What variations of this do you love?

If I was to make my own fry sauce, how would you do it? Online says it’s 1/3 ketchup and 2/3 mayo.

Correct ratios. People add a number of things that can vary, perhaps pickle juice being common. I do a dash of soy sauce and onion powder.

Correct ratios. People add a number of things that can vary, perhaps pickle juice being common. I do a dash of soy sauce and onion powder.

Yeah, vinegar and finely diced pickles make it much better. Takes the sweetness out of the ketchup.

I prefer a more even ratio of ketchup to mayo, but I typically make a spicy sauce that's like fry sauce. I usually add a dash of worcester, a generous portion of cayenne powder (makes it spicy but also absorbs the extra liquid I add), lot's of black pepper and sometimes even a little brown mustard. Maybe it's not "fry sauce" at that point, but I like it better that way.

If I get fry sauce packets I usually don't add ketchup, but do add sriracha and the other stuff I listed.

Not fry sauce, but adding a certain amount of sriracha, bbq sauce and something Worcestershiry like okanamiyaki sauce to your ketchup and mayo mix is typically superior than your average fry sauce.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I don't know if I mentioned One More Noodle House in this thread but that is one of my absolute most loved places in the Salt Lake Valley. And Yeah, it's the Numbing Spicy Beef Noodle for me!

Beak Ri Hyang is also one of my wife's (and mine) favorite places. Their hospitality is off the charts! Their food is also amazing.

P.S. you're posting links to yelp for these places and I have reviewed both (haven't been to the third place you listed yet). My yelp name is Jared Y. If you have a yelp account send me a friend request.
I thought you'd know what was up. My dude.

I'm curious if you've tried the above dishes I mentioned at Baek Ri Hyang?

I thought you'd know what was up. My dude.

I'm curious if you've tried the above dishes I mentioned at Baek Ri Hyang?
Obviously there is great Chinese food in China. But I'm also very happy to have tons of food Korean food here. I eat Korean food at least once a week. Plus there is lots of mixed food here.

I don't know the names of most things in Korean though since the menus are in Chinese. I'm really hooked on Korean cold noodles though. I still want to get back to Korea when the borders open up. Flights were so short and dirt cheap before all of this.

As far as good Chinese food goes there is way too much to list. My girlfriend has food vacations she likes to take me on to various provinces here. The food I never thought I would be hooked on is pig brain. I eat that 2-3X a week usually in a Sichuan style hot pot. Northern Chinese food is pretty similar to Korea since they share borders and lots of history up there.

*Sees new post in thread

"Want to try something new"

*Immediately sees post of 자장면 from that Korean place from that one East Asia district in Salt lake

Where's the something new?

Biggest bowl of 자장면 I've ever seen. Too big. I don't find it reheats well and it's a really filling dish.

*Sees new post in thread

"Want to try something new"

*Immediately sees post of 자장면 from that Korean place from that one East Asia district in Salt lake

Where's the something new?

Biggest bowl of 자장면 I've ever seen. Too big. I don't find it reheats well and it's a really filling dish.

Sorry, if it wasn't new to you specifically. mb lol. I thought it would be educational to the uninitiated.

Did you get the 쟁반짜장? or the normal bowl of 짜장면. I guess they're both big but at least the 쟁반 is meant to be shared. I usually end up eating the whole thing by myself though. I try not to but can, in a pinch, eat a **** ton if I'm feeling myself.

In any case, make the trip to Hong Kong Banjum in WVC. I'm going to hit it up when I get a chance. Could potentially be cheaper and better than 백리향.