What's new

Best Places to Eat in Utah Thread

I’ve heard Saffron Valley is good, but have never been. Royal India is good (Sandy). The best is probably Kohinoor in Orem, though there’s a new Indian place in St. George that’d say is better.

Bombay House in Provo is really good but quite a bit more expensive than all the other Indian places around. There is also a Bombay House in Sugarhouse. Kohinoor in Orem is good. Red Fort in St George is awesome also. St George also has the best Thai place in the state. Benjas. So good.

Best Indian I've ever had by a wide wide margin was in Birmingham England though. Every place I went there was head and shoulders above anything I've had in the states.

Bombay House in Provo is really good but quite a bit more expensive than all the other Indian places around. There is also a Bombay House in Sugarhouse. Kohinoor in Orem is good. Red Fort in St George is awesome also. St George also has the best Thai place in the state. Benjas. So good.

Best Indian I've ever had by a wide wide margin was in Birmingham England though. Every place I went there was head and shoulders above anything I've had in the states.
We had a trip to the UK planned for April. Obviously, that didn't happen. I was very excited about the Indian food.

You guys ever have Disco Fries? It’s brown gravy and cheese on fries. So good.

Isn't that called poutine?

Edit: Looked it up. "Disco Fries are an Americanized version of Poutine with mozzarella instead of cheese curds, and sometimes cheese on top of the gravy instead of under."

Isn't that called poutine?

Edit: Looked it up. "Disco Fries are an Americanized version of Poutine with mozzarella instead of cheese curds, and sometimes cheese on top of the gravy instead of under."
Poutine is better. Those salty cheese curds are amazing.

Let me start off by saying that I am not a foodie. My reaction is same if dinner is a bowl of cereal, or a cup o'soup, or rice and beans, or lasagna, or pot roast, or grilled chicken, etc.). I enjoy a steak from Texas Road House as much as one from Ruth's Chris. I suppose the reason I'm not very discerning is because for most of my life I just didn't have very good cooks (mom was bad cook, army had bad cooks, wife was bad cook when we got married). Food is mostly just calories to me so it is fairly unusual for something to stand out to me but I appreciate when it does no matter what the item is. So, here are things I have actually noticed as good in Utah.
1) The sour cream and apple pie at The Dodo Restaurant in Sugar Park. This is the only dessert I have ever eaten that I would go out of my way to try again. I probably just caught them on a good night. I think I also like their black beans that night.
2) The pennette ala pera at Le Noni Italian Restaurant in Logan. One night in Logan my wife and I went to Le Noni and I ordered this pasta dish that had fresh pears in the sauce and five years later I still think about it. I live in NY so I get exposed to what I assume is fairly good level italian food. None of it stands out as much as that dish in Logan did.
3) Nielsen's Frozen Custard is the best I have ever tried and is a Utah original. I ate at the one in Bountiful, but there are others as well.

There is plenty of other good food in Utah. But these are the only three items I have tried that stand out relative to their peers.

Was watching the Food Network the other day and Guy F was featuring an Ethiopian place. The food looked sick. Their tortilla (forget what it’s called) looked unreal. I checked it out and there’s an Ethiopian place about 15 minutes from me. Gonna def check that out some time in the next couple weeks and I’ll report back.

I’m a little nervous because it’s a Dominican Ethiopian place which is odd. But I looked at their menu and they do have strictly Ethiopian dishes.

Was watching the Food Network the other day and Guy F was featuring an Ethiopian place. The food looked sick. Their tortilla (forget what it’s called) looked unreal. I checked it out and there’s an Ethiopian place about 15 minutes from me. Gonna def check that out some time in the next couple weeks and I’ll report back.

I’m a little nervous because it’s a Dominican Ethiopian place which is odd. But I looked at their menu and they do have strictly Ethiopian dishes.
With Obama easing restrictions on Cuba (his best move as a president, bar none, IMO) and the demand for Cuban cigars dropping, Dominicans have to reach out and pose as more than just Cubans when seeking employment. Hence Ethiopian.

Tried Hong Kong Banjum

It was very very good. If you're in the mood for some spicy noodle soup come try the Gochu Jjamppong. Don't forget the Tangsuyuk

Tried Hong Kong Banjum

It was very very good. If you're in the mood for some spicy noodle soup come try the Gochu Jjamppong. Don't forget the Tangsuyuk
I had this a few days ago. It was good but I feel like I probably caught them on an off night. The seafood in the Gochu Jjamppong was overcooked. That said I still enjoyed it.

Earlier tonight I went to Current Fish and Oyster. I've been there a few other times and I've enjoyed it every time. Tonight they solidified their place in my rankings as the head and shoulders best seafood restaurant in the SLC area.

So us ending up there was a bit odd, as the plan we made last week was to meet up at the South Jordan Market Street Grill after my wife got off work. We have a frequent diner card for Market Street and we have $50 in credit on the card, $25 of which is a birthday credit that is going to expire soon.

What my wife really likes are oysters. Not any oysters. Only and I mean ONLY Kumamoto oysters. They have them at Market Street Grill. When we go to MSG we sit in the Oyster Bar and usually order 18 oysters then our dinners. We've reserved Current Fish and Oyster for more special occasions. MSG has been our goto for our oyster fix.

Well she called me and said she was on her way home and if I was still planning to meet her at MSG. I was doing stuff and needed a shower so I told her to come home first. When she got home I was honestly just kind of not into going to MSG and wanted to push things towards something more affordable. She didn't take my hesitation the way I intended it, that's my fault for being indirect I guess. So she thought I wanted seafood, just not from MSG. But I was still thinking that if we were going to get seafood then I wanted to use the $50 credit we had. But what she came back with was that CF&O had the "seafood tower." She had read about it on Yelp and wanted it, but it wasn't on the menu last time we were there, which was for father's day in June. I looked up the menu and looked at pics of the seafood tower on Yelp and realized that there were already oysters on the seafood tower. I should mention at this point that the seafood tower costs $150. So I figured this could easily end the discussion as she will not eat any oysters other than Kumamoto, so I suggested she call and find out if she can get Kumamoto oysters on the seafood tower instead of any other kind. She called and they quickly answered that we could and that it would cost $0.75 per (and there are 18 oysters on the seafood tower). So it was basically done. We were going to CF&O.

The seafood tower has 18 oysters, 12 shrimp cocktail, king crab legs (we got two legs plus an extra claw) and Maine lobster (we got 5 reasonable sized half lobster tails, so 2.5 lobster tails). This is $150. To have anything close to this at MSG would cost significantly more. At MSG Kumamoto oysters are $3.19 each, so $57.42 for 18, the half-pound of gulf shrimp costs $28.99, two king crab legs cost $79.99, two 4oz lobster tails cost $59.99. That's $226.39.

So price aside, CF&O is a nicer place. Their consistency is better. Their presentation is better. Their service is night and day, head and shoulders, no two-ways about it better than MSG. Let me stress that point again, the service at CF&O is really awesome, it has been every time I've been there. The service at MSG has been anywhere from literally horrible (that seems to be the norm in the main dining area) to pretty alright (you'll have far better luck in the Oyster Bar) but never like they are intentionally providing excellent service.

So anyway, MSG lost their crown and I think it happened quite some time ago, but the current (my puns are always intentional) best seafood place in Salt Lake City is Current Fish and Oyster.

De75Gav.jpg

Dsd9V7D.jpg

U0tjUcC.jpg

lPscQxg.jpg

dnVLhRq.jpg

ncl2zTq.jpeg

Last edited:
Earlier tonight I went to Current Fish and Oyster. I've been there a few other times and I've enjoyed it every time. Tonight they solidified their place in my rankings as the head and shoulders best seafood restaurant in the SLC area.

So us ending up there was a bit odd, as the plan we made last week was to meet up at the South Jordan Market Street Grill after my wife got off work. We have a frequent diner card for Market Street and we have $50 in credit on the card, $25 of which is a birthday credit that is going to expire soon.

What my wife really likes are oysters. Not any oysters. Only and I mean ONLY Kumamoto oysters. They have them at Market Street Grill. When we go to MSG we sit in the Oyster Bar and usually order 18 oysters then our dinners. We've reserved Current Fish and Oyster for more special occasions. MSG has been our goto for our oyster fix.

Well she called me and said she was on her way home and if I was still planning to meet her at MSG. I was doing stuff and needed a shower so I told her to come home first. When she got home I was honestly just kind of not into going to MSG and wanted to push things towards something more affordable. She didn't take my hesitation the way I intended it, that's my fault for being indirect I guess. So she thought I wanted seafood, just not from MSG. But I was still thinking that if we were going to get seafood then I wanted to use the $50 credit we had. But what she came back with was that CF&O had the "seafood tower." She had read about it on Yelp and wanted it, but it wasn't on the menu last time we were there, which was for father's day in June. I looked up the menu and looked at pics of the seafood tower on Yelp and realized that there were already oysters on the seafood tower. I should mention at this point that the seafood tower costs $150. So I figured this could easily end the discussion as she will not eat any oysters other than Kumamoto, so I suggested she call and find out if she can get Kumamoto oysters on the seafood tower instead of any other kind. She called and they quickly answered that we could and that it would cost $0.75 per (and there are 18 oysters on the seafood tower). So it was basically done. We were going to CF&O.

The seafood tower has 18 oysters, 12 shrimp ****tail, king crab legs (we got two legs plus an extra claw) and Maine lobster (we got 5 reasonable sized half lobster tails, so 2.5 lobster tails). This is $150. To have anything close to this at MSG would cost significantly more. At MSG Kumamoto oysters are $3.19 each, so $57.42 for 18, the half-pound of gulf shrimp costs $28.99, two king crab legs cost $79.99, two 4oz lobster tails cost $59.99. That's $226.39.

So price aside, CF&O is a nicer place. Their consistency is better. Their presentation is better. Their service is night and day, head and shoulders, no two-ways about it better than MSG. Let me stress that point again, the service at CF&O is really awesome, it has been every time I've been there. The service at MSG has been anywhere from literally horrible (that seems to be the norm in the main dining area) to pretty alright (you'll have far better luck in the Oyster Bar) but never like they are intentionally providing excellent service.

So anyway, MSG lost their crown and I think it happened quite some time ago, but the current (my puns are always intentional) best seafood place in Salt Lake City is Current Fish and Oyster.

De75Gav.jpg

Dsd9V7D.jpg

U0tjUcC.jpg

lPscQxg.jpg

dnVLhRq.jpg

ncl2zTq.jpeg

Looks great. I've always been pretty underwhelmed with Market Street so I'll have to try this out.

Greek City Grill. Try their D-Will. It's better than the CP3.
Meant to report back that I tried this place. It was really good! Their Souvlaki was more flavorful than any I've had from a restaurant.

Went to a place called bumblebee bbq and loved it.
Wife got korean tacos, I got Mr Kim burger, we got some wings with korean sauce and some of their extremely unique and fantastic fries. The fries are covered in all kinds of yummy stuff.

Everything was fantastic. The wings were some of the best I ever had. I think they double fry then or something.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Wife got korean tacos, I got Mr Kim burger, we got some wings with korean sauce and some of their extremely unique and fantastic fries. The fries are covered in all kinds of yummy stuff.

Everything was fantastic. The wings were some of the best I ever had. I think they double fry then or something.

Korean style fried chicken is pretty awesome. Chick Queen is another really good Korean chicken wing place.

The fried pork sandwich whatever its called is pretty damn good there too.