What's new

Best shows on TV?

new season of The Boys, Shoresy, Stranger Things all came out recently. Whoever hasn't caught on or watched The Ozarks and/or Better Call Saul are missing some good ones.

Anyone try the first season of Night Sky on prime? We liked it a lot. Hoping for a great 2nd season fairly soon, although with the streaming services you never know.

Just started the 4th season of stranger things, definitely grittier and darker than the others in lots of ways. Still aggravating to watch in lots of ways. They seem to get dumber, yet better, season by season. It's weird.

Lastly, just started the 3rd season of the Boys on prime. Damn that is some crazy crazy ****, and likely one of the best things on TV right now. Completely compelling.
I just started episode one of the boys a few minutes ago. Only watched the first 5-10 minutes or so. It was insane. Even by The Boys standards. The dude who can shrink went inside that other dudes junk and then had a coke sneeze and exploded him. WTF lol

I just started episode one of the boys a few minutes ago. Only watched the first 5-10 minutes or so. It was insane. Even by The Boys standards. The dude who can shrink went inside that other dudes junk and then had a coke sneeze and exploded him. WTF lol
Yeah. Exactly. Absolutely bonkers.

The Boys is awesome. Anthony Starr (Homelander) is absolutely amazing. He carried Banchee (very solid show) and is far and away the actor who elevates The Boys from something that could be cheese to something absolutely great. Way, way underrated actor.

I hate Amazon's "3 episodes now, then we're going to tease you for weeks" distribution schedule. At least back in the days of network television, you knew they were constantly working on it, just starting a week or 2 ahead, but the whole season is in the can already and they just do this to try to keep the social media buzz going.

The Boys is awesome. Anthony Starr (Homelander) is absolutely amazing. He carried Banchee (very solid show) and is far and away the actor who elevates The Boys from something that could be cheese to something absolutely great. Way, way underrated actor.
My wife and I were talking about this. He has gone beyond acting and has done what few actors can do and has brought Homelander to life. Hands down the best actor on streaming right now. And easily the most terrifying and unsettling villain maybe ever in any streaming show. I have seen few characters that can unsettle me the way Homelander does. Every scene with him is full of tension and that simmering barely controlled rage, combined with the power to decimate everything if he blows for real. And Antony Starr shows such emotion on so many level and layers in just a look. Never seen an actor with such control over his facial expressions as to convey envy, anger, sorrow, disgust, or psychotic joy all at once. It carries through amazingly well. He is the most compelling part of the show.

I actually think The Boys is highly underrated. I think people focus on the exploding heads or bodies or penises and file it under "oh it's one of those shows" and they miss the depth of acting from some amazing actors, the excellent writing and layered story-telling, and the fresh and original take on what is rapidly becoming a tired and cliched genre. These are some of the best actors working right now, and working with fantastic material. It isn't perfect, but damn close, for the story they are telling with it. Probably the best comic adaptation yet, imo. And it holds up on re-watching, as my wife and I recently re-watched both of the first 2 seasons to prep for season 3. They are just as good the 2nd or 3rd time around, and you catch details you missed in the first viewing. Really great stuff.

I think we already mentioned Love Death and Robots, but the new season has some amazing animation and some great stories. Even if you aren't into that kind of thing, do yourself a favor and watch season 3 episode 4, "Night of the Mini Dead". It is an entire zombie apocalypse told through miniatures animation. Everything looks like a highly detailed miniature diorama, with zombies running rough-shod over everything. The details in the animation are nothing short of stunning. And it is hilarious to boot.

I hate Amazon's "3 episodes now, then we're going to tease you for weeks" distribution schedule. At least back in the days of network television, you knew they were constantly working on it, just starting a week or 2 ahead, but the whole season is in the can already and they just do this to try to keep the social media buzz going.
For shows with intricate plotting and detailed direction, I like having time to absorb the current episode, and possibly re-watch, before the next one shows up. I don't know if "The Boys" qualifies on that score.

My wife and I were talking about this. He has gone beyond acting and has done what few actors can do and has brought Homelander to life. Hands down the best actor on streaming right now. And easily the most terrifying and unsettling villain maybe ever in any streaming show. I have seen few characters that can unsettle me the way Homelander does. Every scene with him is full of tension and that simmering barely controlled rage, combined with the power to decimate everything if he blows for real. And Antony Starr shows such emotion on so many level and layers in just a look. Never seen an actor with such control over his facial expressions as to convey envy, anger, sorrow, disgust, or psychotic joy all at once. It carries through amazingly well. He is the most compelling part of the show.

I actually think The Boys is highly underrated. I think people focus on the exploding heads or bodies or penises and file it under "oh it's one of those shows" and they miss the depth of acting from some amazing actors, the excellent writing and layered story-telling, and the fresh and original take on what is rapidly becoming a tired and cliched genre. These are some of the best actors working right now, and working with fantastic material. It isn't perfect, but damn close, for the story they are telling with it. Probably the best comic adaptation yet, imo. And it holds up on re-watching, as my wife and I recently re-watched both of the first 2 seasons to prep for season 3. They are just as good the 2nd or 3rd time around, and you catch details you missed in the first viewing. Really great stuff.

Agreed. It’s a crime if Starr doesn’t win an Emmy and if Bernthal doesn’t win one for We Own This City.

Then Homelander makes The Deep eat that live octopus. That grossed me out almost as much as the termite in the penis scene. Show is freaky deaky

Just started watching Animal Kingdom last night. Only watched 1 episode so far but I really enjoyed that first episode. Anyone else watch that show?

It’s based off a solid Aussie flick with Edgerton, Mendelsohn, Pearce, etc.
I will have to check that out as well then

So what's the deal with Better Call Saul? When does the rest of Season 7 come out?
Huh? Dont tell me it isn't completed yet. I thought it was done. My wife and i are on episode 3 of season 6 which i thought was the last season and was complete.
Actually just googled. Season 6 is the last one but you are right that all the episodes are not available yet. Looks like the next round of episodes starts rolling out july 11th and the series finale is on Aug 15th

Huh? Dont tell me it isn't completed yet. I thought it was done. My wife and i are on episode 3 of season 6 which i thought was the last season and was complete.
Actually just googled. Season 6 is the last one but you are right that all the episodes are not available yet. Looks like the next round of episodes starts rolling out july 11th and the series finale is on Aug 15th
Yeah they took one of these stupid *** midseason breaks. I don't get it.

Yeah they took one of these stupid *** midseason breaks. I don't get it.
Trying to keep it active longer so more fringe fans can be enticed to watch. If it all gets released at once everyone has a wham bam thank you ma'am and then it fades completely as everyone turns to the next quick fix.

Yeah, this is Season 6, through Episode 7 (not season 7). But there should be another few episodes still to come and there's no way it can end like this...

Yeah, this is Season 6, through Episode 7 (not season 7). But there should be another few episodes still to come and there's no way it can end like this...
13 total episodes and they've been running a solid hour so we've got some show left!