Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mike Conley, 2019

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

colton

All Around Nice Guy
Contributor
Best trade in Jazz history? Here are 9 contenders I thought of. If you can think of others worth mentioning let me know.

• Spencer Haywood for Adrian Dantley, 1979
  • Dominique Wilkins for John Drew, Freeman Williams, and $1 million, 1982 (cash kept the Jazz in Utah)
  • Jeff Malone and first-round pick for Jeff Hornacek, Sean Green and a second-round pick, 1994
  • Three first round picks for Deron Williams, 2005
  • Deron Williams for Devin Harris, Derrick Favors and two first-round picks, 2011
  • Second round pick and cash for Rudy Gobert, 2013
  • First round pick and Trey Lyles for Donovan Mitchell, 2017
  • Jae Crowder, Grayson Allen, Kyle Korver, and two first-round picks for Mike Conley, 2019
  • Dante Exum and two second round picks for Jeremy Clarkson, 2019

Also pretty crazy that four (or five, if you count Favs) of the trades involve the current roster.

Aside from Jeremy Clarkson, you forgot the trade that brought us Jeff Malone. We traded an expired carton of milk and a pick aspartame packet.

Aside from Jeremy Clarkson, you forgot the trade that brought us Jeff Malone. We traded an expired carton of milk and a pick aspartame packet.
What do you mean, aside from Jeremy Clarkson? He's the last bullet point.

edit: but thanks for the heads up on the Jeff Malone coming here trade. I became a Jazz fan just a bit before the Horny trade.

AD made us feel like a legit franchise.
Horny was the catalyst for the finals team
Deron kept us relevant
Favors may be the nicest guy ever
Gobert/Mitchell is a toss up for the biggest steal
Clarkson was the reason we got the chip ( I'm a forward thinker). Therefore I gotta go with Clarkson

Here are two trades that I think are more significant than they get credit for:

- Gordan Giricek for Kyle Korver. This trade should have actually had more impact than it did. Korver should have started and he was also our best defender on the perimeter.

- McLeod/Palacio (forget who) for Derek Fisher. Yes, Fisher ended up being a chode and also shot like crap during his season with us, but I do believe he played a big part in providing some leadership for our young team that helped us advance farther into the playoffs than we’ve gone in the past 23 years.

Best trade in Jazz history? Here are 9 contenders I thought of. If you can think of others worth mentioning let me know.

• Spencer Haywood for Adrian Dantley, 1979
  • Dominique Wilkins for John Drew, Freeman Williams, and $1 million, 1982 (cash kept the Jazz in Utah)
  • Jeff Malone and first-round pick for Jeff Hornacek, Sean Green and a second-round pick, 1994
  • Three first round picks for Deron Williams, 2005
  • Deron Williams for Devin Harris, Derrick Favors and two first-round picks, 2011
  • Second round pick and cash for Rudy Gobert, 2013
  • First round pick and Trey Lyles for Donovan Mitchell, 2017
  • Jae Crowder, Grayson Allen, Kyle Korver, and two first-round picks for Mike Conley, 2019
  • Dante Exum and two second round picks for Jeremy Clarkson, 2019
Was the economy in Utah in 1982 that poor, that Jazz needed that extra 1 million via trade and not via own money or sponsors (either other companies or state aid)? I guess that inflation (or value of a USD) is not that bad? Did Utah had a lot less really rich people or companies at that time compared to '90, 2000, 2010 or 2020 and compared to California or NY area?

In 2003, Jazz give a 2nd rounder to Kings for 2 second rounders and Keon Clark. Later they flip Keon plus a broken down Ben Handlogten to the Suns for Tom Gugliata and 2 firsts, One of those firsts, by way of the Knicks, turned into Gordon Hayward in 2010, seven years later.

Was the economy in Utah in 1982 that poor, that Jazz needed that extra 1 million via trade and not via own money or sponsors (either other companies or state aid)? I guess that inflation (or value of a USD) is not that bad? Did Utah had a lot less really rich people or companies at that time compared to '90, 2000, 2010 or 2020 and compared to California or NY area?
I'm not sure the NBA had a TV deal back in 1979. Teams survived on what they gated. Jazz had been bad for the entirety of their existence.

Gobert was a great trade. It was for a late first that panned out wildly beyond expectations. Mitchell, we moved up much higher in the draft and grabbed someone we liked. It just seems like a slightly more creative move so I gave it the edge. Clarkson we won that trade hands down and it transformed our bench. Three great trades no matter what order you rank them.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the NBA had a TV deal back in 1979. Teams survived on what they gated. Jazz had been bad for the entirety of their existence.

They had a deal with NBC and they would show playoff games on tape delay.

There's the legendary story Magic Johnson told about The Lakers winning the championship in 1980 and then going home with his parents to watch the game on TV.

Here are two trades that I think are more significant than they get credit for:

- Gordan Giricek for Kyle Korver. This trade should have actually had more impact than it did. Korver should have started and he was also our best defender on the perimeter.

- McLeod/Palacio (forget who) for Derek Fisher. Yes, Fisher ended up being a chode and also shot like crap during his season with us, but I do believe he played a big part in providing some leadership for our young team that helped us advance farther into the playoffs than we’ve gone in the past 23 years.

The Jazz were a .500 team when they traded for Korver and then went 37-11 the rest of the way. I'd say that's a pretty big impact.

Agree on Fisher - he's much maligned and rightfully so, but he was also the locker room guy The Jazz desperately needed at that time.