• Deron Williams, 2005

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Derrick Favors, 2011

• Mike Conley, 2019

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You can make an argument for Hornacek because without him I don't think The Jazz make it to the next level in 97 and 98.

But it has to be Mitchell - people have quickly forgotten how low morale was after Hayward left Utah in the lurch. This has been an increasingly fun team to watch and root for (most of the time) with Mitchell.

You can make an argument for Hornacek because without him I don't think The Jazz make it to the next level in 97 and 98.

But it has to be Mitchell - people have quickly forgotten how low morale was after Hayward left Utah in the lurch. This has been an increasingly fun team to watch and root for (most of the time) with Mitchell.
I’m not big on comparing player deals with draft-day deals. Apples and carburetors.

Was the economy in Utah in 1982 that poor, that Jazz needed that extra 1 million via trade and not via own money or sponsors (either other companies or state aid)? I guess that inflation (or value of a USD) is not that bad? Did Utah had a lot less really rich people or companies at that time compared to '90, 2000, 2010 or 2020 and compared to California or NY area?
The NBA in general was WAY less popular back then, and few people in Utah cared about the Jazz. The owner at the time (I'm blanking on the name) wasn't as rich as Larry Miller (and Larry Miller obviously wasn't as rich as he later became), and if I recall correctly he ran the risk of going bankrupt due to his purchase of the Jazz. $1 million was a substantial fraction of the entire team's worth--Miller bought a 50% stake in the team in 1985 for $9.5 million. So in 1982 maybe the team would have been worth $16 million? So getting that cash infusion of $1 million is in some sense equivalent to getting $100 million cash today (1/16 of the current value of the Jazz).

I'm going with the Clarkson trade. Yeah, the Mitchell and Gobert trades were great, but at the time it was trading for a pick that may or may not have worked out. In this case, the Jazz traded for a player that everyone could see had a good skill, and gave up a player who was literally just nothing but potential (to be generous) and tons of injury history. And the way it turned out is the player with the skill just amped up that skill a ton, and the guy with potential had like 1-2 games that showed it and more injuries.

The
Gobert was a great trade. It was for a late first that panned out wildly beyond expectations. Mitchell, we moved up much higher in the draft and grabbed someone we liked. It just seems like a slightly more creative move so I gave it the edge. Clarkson we won that trade hands down and it transformed our bench. Three great trades no matter what order you rank them.
Difference is the first 2 were unknowns until the worked out. They could just have easily not worked out. With the Clarkson trade we gave away a dead man for a proven scorer. A DEAD MAN! Simply cannot be beaten.

But...

Clarkson for Exum and some 2nds is right up there closely with them. Not quite but when it comes down to it we got him for nothing.

Porter was supposed to fill in the void left by Clarkson but he went nuts, him and exum now gone with the cavs.

Otoh I thought JC was going to be our chucker but dam, he got better shooting, started passing and rebounding, then last 2 games doing step back 3s, crazy.

One trade unmentioned in the OP is when we traded 3 first round picks from the previous 4 years to get Ostertag back for a final season.

What was the better trade?

Giricek for Korver or Burks for Korver?

Giricek for sure. Korver was a lot younger back then and made a much bigger impact on those D-Will/Boozer teams than he did in his 2nd stint with us. It's just too bad Jerry didn't really take advantage of his shooting enough.