What's new

"Better Call Saul" Premiere This Sunday!

I liked it, but there was something missing. After thinking about it more I think that missing element might have been comedy--something that really rounded out the dark story of BB. I don't really remember laughing at any point in last night's premiere which is interesting considering how Saul brought comedic relief into just about every scene of BB he was in.

I have only watched the pilot (the second episode aired at like 11:00 PM at night and I'm too old for that), but I thought it was very funny. Many of the jokes are throwaway cast-off lines that don't follow a true set-up punchline format. That said, Saul chiding a prosecutor for going after trespassing as "a stretch" for his severed-head ****ing clients and describing the boys as "near honor students all" is classic BB comedy.

Odenkirk is not the actor that Cranston is so it remains to be seen whether he can sell the Gilligan style in the same way. That said, all the essential elements appear to be there. This isn't like watching the Wire and then jumping into Treme.

I have only watched the pilot (the second episode aired at like 11:00 PM at night and I'm too old for that), but I thought it was very funny. Many of the jokes are throwaway cast-off lines that don't follow a true set-up punchline format. That said, Saul chiding a prosecutor for going after trespassing as "a stretch" for his severed-head ****ing clients and describing the boys as "near honor students all" is classic BB comedy.

Odenkirk is not the actor that Cranston is so it remains to be seen whether he can sell the Gilligan style in the same way. That said, all the essential elements appear to be there. This isn't like watching the Wire and then jumping into Treme.
I've only seen the pilot too. Really busy with school and such lately. But I don't recall a moment in it that had me chuckling the same way Jesse's "cow house" line did in the BB pilot. Maybe I'll have to give it another look (which I would have anyway).

Only saw the premier at this point. Also maybe give it a B-. I thought they did a good job setting the tone and such, but I thought the intro of Mike was a little weird, also the other character introduced felt a little heavyhanded. Still, B- is good enough to keep watching.

Watched the pilot again and finally got to see the second episode.

The pilot is phenomenal visually. Television doesn't get better in terms of mise en scene and cinematography.

I also found it funnier than the first time I watched it, but still not as funny as BB.

I'm really excited to see how this first season continues to develop.

I'm digging it.

Unpossible for it to be anywhere near as good as BB, but I bet it gets really good by the end of season 1

Watched the pilot again and finally got to see the second episode.

The pilot is phenomenal visually. Television doesn't get better in terms of mise en scene and cinematography.

I also found it funnier than the first time I watched it, but still not as funny as BB.

I'm really excited to see how this first season continues to develop.

The primary source of humor in season 1 for BB, as I recall, were the interactions between Jesse and Walt. We will probably have to wait for a true sidekick to Saul to appear, maybe that is Mike, for more consistent humor to happen.

The primary source of humor in season 1 for BB, as I recall, were the interactions between Jesse and Walt. We will probably have to wait for a true sidekick to Saul to appear, maybe that is Mike, for more consistent humor to happen.

I was thinking the same thing.

There was one scene in the pilot that was pretty funny on a second viewing that I didn't really notice the first time. When he goes to the HHM law firm he talks to some guy in the lobby and the conversation is like:

Saul: "You're looking good."

Dude: "Okay."

Saul: "Alright."

Then he just walks off lol

I'm digging it.

Unpossible for it to be anywhere near as good as BB, but I bet it gets really good by the end of season 1

Yeah, and I think it's gotten off to as solid of a start as we could have hoped for. It's damn good tv so far.

You can tell things are going to escalate quickly.

not really a big fan of watchin these types of shows 'live' tbh. especially in the beggining. the commericals and wait times inbetween suck. i try to marathon 80% or so of seasons and then watch the final episodes live, with normal people and whatnot.

so havent watched a single minute of betta call saul. if BB was a 9 on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best and 1 being onelove, where would yall rank BCS? wanna get in da right mental state for dis ish, dont wanna be too dissapointed when it doesnt live up to the masterpiece BB was/is.

Let me perhaps rephrase for tards in the cloth. I wasn't asking if it made better sense to watch it all in chronological order. I was simply asking if it would be a big deal if I did. I just don't have time right now to sit down and watch five seasons (or whatever it was) of BB straight through.

yes, its a big deal. watch BB first. having no time for BB, but time for BCS makes no sense.
just watch waht u can of BB and get through it first. enjoy it as it was meant to be enjoyed.

I was thinking the same thing.

There was one scene in the pilot that was pretty funny on a second viewing that I didn't really notice the first time. When he goes to the HHM law firm he talks to some guy in the lobby and the conversation is like:

Saul: "You're looking good."

Dude: "Okay."

Saul: "Alright."

Then he just walks off lol
I liked when saul was talking to those skater guys and he was like "I bet it hurts getting hit by those cars doesn't it", and the skater dude was like "true that"

I just watched the first two episodes last night. Liked them both alot. Reminds me so much of breaking bad....... great acting, directing, and writing. Good tension and manipulation of the viewers emotions to make you empathize with the protagonist