What's new

Bill Murray in Zombieland

Now that I wouldn't call a cameo. He was a full-blown character in that movie.

Agree. Then again you and I seem to be on an island on this subject. I don't know what the precise cut-off is for when someone's role stops being a cameo, but I know that Bill Murray and Tom Cruise passed it.

Agree. Then again you and I seem to be on an island on this subject. I don't know what the precise cut-off is for when someone's role stops being a cameo, but I know that Bill Murray and Tom Cruise passed it.

I don't disagree. I have seen both Murray and Cruise be praised for their cameo roles, so I listed Cruise. I guess I'm not sure what really makes a role "cameo", but I know that Bob Barker qualified.

Will Ferrell in "The Wedding Crashers": cameo or not?

No, because he didn't play himself. Am I right on this? I think I am. There's been some greats mentioned in this thread but Bill Murray takes the cake for me.

Archie-How about Reggie in BASEketball? "I got the two home run balls I hit in that game, but some retched little **** got away with the third one."

No, because he didn't play himself. Am I right on this? I think I am. There's been some greats mentioned in this thread but Bill Murray takes the cake for me.

Archie-How about Reggie in BASEketball? "I got the two home run balls I hit in that game, but some retched little **** got away with the third one."

They don't have to play themself. A small role is a cameo. How small the role is what is debated.

As for Reggie, he kicked *** in "Naked Gun".

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in "Airplane": cameo or not?

Roles that are not cameos:

Appears in more than one scene (not Abdul-Jabbar)
Actions have an effect on the plot (not Bob Barker in Happy Gilmore)

Jimmie Walker has a hilarious cameo in Airplane

I have not seen Zombieland, so I can't comment on Murray's supposed cameo.

When I was in law school I irresponsibly flew to LA during the semester to go to a Price is Right taping. During filming in the "commercial breaks" Bob took questions from the audience.

One of my proudest moments as a human being was watching him do the Happy Gilmore line live upon request.

EDIT: Along the same lines as YB's: Bob Saget in Half Baked.

Seconded. Considering that at the time, I had only known Bob Saget for his Full House fame and had not yet seen his standup.

I'm fine with rule one in principle, but rule two seems overly restrictive. It feels wrong to say that Rat Race (and it's predecessor) has zero cameos because everyone has small effects on the plot. Similarly, that would disqualify Vonnegut in Back to School which seems unconscionable.

Jimmie Walker has a hilarious cameo in Airplane

I have not seen Zombieland, so I can't comment on Murray's supposed cameo.

**** YOU. Bob Barker wins.

I'm fine with rule one in principle, but rule two seems overly restrictive. It feels wrong to say that Rat Race (and it's predecessor) has zero cameos because everyone has small effects on the plot. Similarly, that would disqualify Vonnegut in Back to School which seems unconscionable.

What effect does Vonnegut have on the plot of Back to School? He helps to write a paper, but Dangerfield has many people doing that.

You might have a point regarding Rat Race, though.

Will Ferrell in "The Wedding Crashers": cameo or not?

Yes. To me part of a cameo involves being in one scene, no matter the length of time really. Or the person could be in multiple scenes but for shorter time periods, perhaps in the 1-3 minute range each. That's what my gut tells me.

Yes. To me part of a cameo involves being in one scene, no matter the length of time really. Or the person could be in multiple scenes but for shorter time periods, perhaps in the 1-3 minute range each. That's what my gut tells me.

So this eliminates Neil Patrick Harris in Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle. Damn.

Another classic cameo: Brett Fauvuruh in "There's Something About Mary".