What's new

BYU coaching changes

Will this guy ever get another interview? Takes a job a Washington only to go back to Utah. Takes a job at BYU, only to go back to Utah. Why would any other Head Coach ever interview this guy again?

A lil different situation but ummm yeah. He wanted to coach at BYU. While BYU will hire non-Mormons to coach they will not hire Mormons who don't pass the test... Rightfully so. I understand their concerns. A-Rod should have known better.

A lil different situation but ummm yeah. He wanted to coach at BYU. While BYU will hire non-Mormons to coach they will not hire Mormons who don't pass the test... Rightfully so. I understand their concerns. A-Rod should have known better.

Are you inferring there was some sort of religious/moral shortcoming? If so, why did BYU offer him the position in the first place? Its already been reported that Arod had to call Bronco and tell him he was changing his mind. Doesn't sound like a situation in which he “failed a test“.

I negged Thriller and said "You're such a ****ing retard bro. No offense."

I think that's the 2nd time I've ever negged someone, but I said no offense so it's cool.

Gotta love zoob logic. Anyone who doesnt want to be part of their program is retroactively deemed not worthy of byu. LOL

I'm no fan of either .. but who's better? One team HAS to be better than the other, empirically .. so which is it?

Are you inferring there was some sort of religious/moral shortcoming? If so, why did BYU offer him the position in the first place? Its already been reported that Arod had to call Bronco and tell him he was changing his mind. Doesn't sound like a situation in which he “failed a test“.

Yes. It was most definitely because of a religious (not necessarily moral) shortcoming.

All baptized members wanting to work at BYU need to obtain an ecclesiastical endorsement. That includes an interview with the bishop and the "passing off" of certain requirements from church attendance to the living by certain rules (like the WoW). This is what Arod failed at. What exactly he failed at, I'm not sure. That's obviously between him and his bishop.

Even PK on his early morning show with DJ said that Arod and BYU wasn't the, "right fit." Asked if it had to do with Bronco or Anai, PK replied, "It wasn't a good fit between he and the university."

If it was a clash of personalities then PK easily could have said so. A situation of money, again, easily could have said so. A difference of opinion on what he could and should coach, could have said that. Instead, he pointed at something far different... Something unrelated to the football program...

"Arod and the university were not perfect matches."

Which would agree with my inside sources that it was Arod's lack of an ecclesiastical endorsement which led to him being unable to maintain employment there. I'm not sure how BYU treats these things. I'm pretty sure they can create some "plan" and give coaches/professors "grace periods." I can't imagine that they would fire a great OC if after losing in brutal fashion having a few beers (while otherwise being completely clean and repentant). LOL, I could see them using something like that to fire a coach that they were already wanting to fire...

But if it was a situation of... Oh I don't know... Church attendance. Rather than lie about it or go to church once every month (which is the requirement) Arod probably just told the truth.

It's a loss for BYU, I think. Arod is a darn good coach. I would have loved to have him here. But, I'm also down with him being a man and sticking to his guns rather than lie or exaggerate in order to obtain that endorsement.

Last edited:
I negged Thriller and said "You're such a ****ing retard bro. No offense."

I think that's the 2nd time I've ever negged someone, but I said no offense so it's cool.

Gotta love zoob logic. Anyone who doesnt want to be part of their program is retroactively deemed not worthy of byu. LOL

Bash the messenger is the game you play oh so very well.

And it's not like I have a long history of bashing Utah when we're talking about serious things. Come now. In general, you know when I'm merely messing around, Little Brother. (emphasis added to make it clear when I'm joking around).

But this is not one of the times I'm messing around trying to get a rise out of you. This is what happened, according to my friends on BYU's staff. BYU wanted Arod. Arod had enough of the BS at Utah. He had essentially maxed out there. BJ is the future Arod is not. BYU wanted Arod. Arod wanted BYU. Unfortunately, the EC was the reason why he could not maintain employment there. I'm sure BYU would have worked with him (and probably did. Arod is a damn good coach). However, rather than lie or fake a lifestyle of which he had no interest in living, he told them up front and the split happened.

Besides, what motivation would I have to bash Arod and call him "unworthy" to work at BYU? Because... He won so many games coaching here at BYU? Because... Everything else at BYU right now is stable and no other coaches have been fired/hired/reshuffled? Because... Arod was the missing link to BYU destroying Alabama next year in the National Championship?

Come now, get serious. Arod here? Would have helped, clearly. But him leaving? Meh, it's a loss but not a huge blow. It's not like they're losing an asset who had been with the program for decades (ala Lance Reynolds). BYU has already gutted their entire offensive side anyway.

A few years ago, a very well known HS coach here in this state was the frontrunner to being hired on as BYU's QB coach. Adjustments were already being made at the HS he was at that he was leaving. However, one problem... Although having been a baptized member of the church he himself hadn't been active in decades. He could not obtain an ecclesiastical endorsement. So he retracted his name and continued to coach at the high school he was at. Just like Arod, the high school he was at had to readjust because they had expected him to leave. However, the lame *** media here in Utah never covered it. They wouldn't know a story if it hit them in the head. Of course, this one I don't blame them for never running. Although, it would have been cool had they at least mentioned that he was in the running for the job.

LOL. High school football fans on this board would probably laugh when they found out who it was. This HS coach (offensive genius) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Doman/Hall.

Last edited:
Bash the messenger is the game you play oh so very well.

And it's not like I have a long history of bashing Utah when we're talking about serious things. Come now. In general, you know when I'm merely messing around, Little Brother. (emphasis added to make it clear when I'm joking around).

But this is not one of the times I'm messing around trying to get a rise out of you. This is what happened, according to my friends on BYU's staff. BYU wanted Arod. Arod had enough of the BS at Utah. He had essentially maxed out there. BJ is the future Arod is not. BYU wanted Arod. Arod wanted BYU. Unfortunately, the EC was the reason why he could not maintain employment there. I'm sure BYU would have worked with him (and probably did. Arod is a damn good coach). However, rather than lie or fake a lifestyle of which he had no interest in living, he told them up front and the split happened.

Besides, what motivation would I have to bash Arod and call him "unworthy" to work at BYU? Because... He won so many games coaching here at BYU? Because... Everything else at BYU right now is stable and no other coaches have been fired/hired/reshuffled? Because... Arod was the missing link to BYU destroying Alabama next year in the National Championship?

Come now, get serious. Arod here? Would have helped, clearly. But him leaving? Meh, it's a loss but not a huge blow. It's not like they're losing an asset who had been with the program for decades (ala Lance Reynolds). BYU has already gutted their entire offensive side anyway.

A few years ago, a very well known HS coach here in this state was the frontrunner to being hired on as BYU's QB coach. Adjustments were already being made at the HS he was at that he was leaving. However, one problem... Although having been a baptized member of the church he himself hadn't been active in decades. He could not obtain an ecclesiastical endorsement. So he retracted his name and continued to coach at the high school he was at. Just like Arod, the high school he was at had to readjust because they had expected him to leave. However, the lame *** media here in Utah never covered it. They wouldn't know a story if it hit them in the head. Of course, this one I don't blame them for never running. Although, it would have been cool had they at least mentioned that he was in the running for the job.

LOL. High school football fans on this board would probably laugh when they found out who it was. This HS coach (offensive genius) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Doman/Hall.

Honestly...how long did it take you to type up this novel?

I'm no fan of either .. but who's better? One team HAS to be better than the other, empirically .. so which is it?

They both suck right now. If you want to go back 10 years its Utah, if you want to go back 20 years its BYU ..... but they both suck now and thats all that really matters

They both suck right now. If you want to go back 10 years its Utah, if you want to go back 20 years its BYU ..... but they both suck now and thats all that really matters

But Utah has the best chance of not sucking the soonest.

byu has zero chance of ever rising above mediocrity.

But Utah has the best chance of not sucking the soonest.

byu has zero chance of ever rising above mediocrity.

Utah will continue to dwell in the deepest abyss of failing to be bowl eligible. Pretty much every team is on the rise in the Pac 12 minus Utah, USC (who will always smash utah regardless) and Colorado ....Utah wont see a bowl for awhile.

BYU plays enough patsies that they will consistently go 7-5 8-4 and which is better than the 5-7 4-8 seasons Utah is destined for.

Utah will continue to dwell in the deepest abyss of failing to be bowl eligible. Pretty much every team is on the rise in the Pac 12 minus Utah, USC (who will always smash utah regardless) and Colorado ....Utah wont see a bowl for awhile.

BYU plays enough patsies that they will consistently go 7-5 8-4 and which is better than the 5-7 4-8 seasons Utah is destined for.

Utah will go to a bowl game this year.

Wanna bet?

Will this guy ever get another interview? Takes a job a Washington only to go back to Utah. Takes a job at BYU, only to go back to Utah. Why would any other Head Coach ever interview this guy again?

He'll probably never get another interview while currently on a coaching staff. If he's lucky he could get interviewed if he's unemployed and doesn't have anything to go back to after accepting an offer.

To go along with our KVN being drafted bet you keep bitching out of? Sure, I'm into that.

Noooooo dummy face.

I said Hoffman won't get drafted. Of course Van Noy will get drafted.

I'd bet you that Utah will beat byu this year but I know you're not that dumb.

Ok, Hoffman will get drafted then. Its a bet, so is the bowl game, and 3rd times a charm BYU over Utah ... I mean Utah lost their 2 best players, and BYU lost its biggest hindrance. BYU over Utah .... What are the stakes?

Ok, Hoffman will get drafted then. Its a bet, so is the bowl game, and 3rd times a *DOINK* BYU over Utah ... I mean Utah lost their 2 best players, and BYU lost its biggest hindrance. BYU over Utah .... What are the stakes?

fixed dat.

I dunno. How bout the $15 Troutbum still owes me for our byu vs Utah bet from this past year?

My order of confidence in these bets is....

Utah makes a bowl game (a mortal lock)

Hoffman doesn't get drafted. (I have no idea who he is or if he is white or black or what. All I know is he goes to byu, so the odds are in my favor. When was the last time a byu player was drafted?)

Utah beats byu (Still relatively confident, but we have won like 8 out of the last 10 so maybe y'all are due. plus its at home for you.)

fixed dat.

I dunno. How bout the $15 Troutbum still owes me for our byu vs Utah bet from this past year?

My order of confidence in these bets is....

Utah makes a bowl game (a mortal lock)

Hoffman doesn't get drafted. (I have no idea who he is or if he is white or black or what. All I know is he goes to byu, so the odds are in my favor. When was the last time a byu player was drafted?)

Utah beats byu (Still relatively confident, but we have won like 8 out of the last 10 so maybe y'all are due. plus its at home for you.)

How about a 12 pack of Epic's ?