What's new

Campaign: Draft Trey Burke

My question is...how do you guys know he isn't quick have you watched his games, he looks pretty freakin quick to me when I watch. And you don't shoot 50% from the field without beating guys and getting to the basket.

Read what Jonathan Givony says about his quickness on draftexpress:
https://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Trey-Burke-36200/

Yes I have watched most of his games this year. In a fast break situation when he has time to speed up, he can get to the rim for a lay up pretty well. It's when he's dribbling in half court and trying to shake off his opponents where he doesn't seem to have that 5th gear to drive to the basket at times. Also his dribbling isn't wizardry enough to shake off his opponents neither. One of the shots he uses quite often is a step back jumper/3 pointer, which can be effective at times at the college level, but I just wonder, with longer NBA players, how he'll fare.

Go look at his final shot of the Ohio State game and you'll know what I mean. He tried to shake off his opponent, tried to drive it, couldn't, so he had to settle for the step back 3's which he just misses. Chris Paul would have either 1) Blow by defender for a lay up; 2) Blow by defender, stop on a dime and shoot a floater; 3) create space with a behind the leg dribble, and shoot a 3.

Yes I have watched most of his games this year. In a fast break situation when he has time to speed up, he can get to the rim for a lay up pretty well. It's when he's dribbling in half court and trying to shake off his opponents where he doesn't seem to have that 5th gear to drive to the basket at times. Also his dribbling isn't wizardry enough to shake off his opponents neither. One of the shots he uses quite often is a step back jumper/3 pointer, which can be effective at times at the college level, but I just wonder, with longer NBA players, how he'll fare.

Go look at his final shot of the Ohio State game and you'll know what I mean. He tried to shake off his opponent, tried to drive it, couldn't, so he had to settle for the step back 3's which he just misses. Chris Paul would have either 1) Blow by defender for a lay up; 2) Blow by defender, stop on a dime and shoot a floater; 3) create space with a behind the leg dribble, and shoot a 3.

A few things to address.

Ohio St game.... If you watch you would notice that the paint was clogged so going to the rim, ala Paul, wouldn't of happened even if Paul was there. I had no problem with the shot.

I've watched nearly every college game he has played and look at what this team needs and my feedback is:

Distributer - Check
Ball Handler/low turnovers - Check
Good shooter when OPEN - Check
Can create and get to the hoop AND finish - Check
Good defensive player - 1/2 check
Leader - Check

With the Jazz the PG rarely will need to 'get his shot off'. A comparison I thought of is our very own Mo Williams with leadership and a better passer which I don't think is a bad thing. Where we will draft we can't expect to walk into the next Rose, Paul, or DWill. There is a reason they went top 4. At the middle of the draft the chance to draft someone who may be an Allstar level player a few years but be a leader and distribute is what we need. Go YouTube his name and even watch his highlights from his freshman year..... Now times that by 3 and that's the progress he had made in 2 year.

The gif is a semi-fast break example, but this is what Burke/michigan does - they push the tempo. I have to say I never thought Burke had issues with getting to the basket and finishing. I've seen so many games where he crosses over his defender, drives and scores- he's always in attack mode. In fact, I would say his above average speed and handle is a strength of his that gives him opportunities to finish at the rim rather than just being a shooter/distributer from outside like a lot of pg's.

8345014350_3056ce951e_o.gif

Edit: no they weren't playing the Timberwolves, it was Northwestern

Last edited:
A few things to address.

Ohio St game.... If you watch you would notice that the paint was clogged so going to the rim, ala Paul, wouldn't of happened even if Paul was there. I had no problem with the shot.

I've watched nearly every college game he has played and look at what this team needs and my feedback is:

Distributer - Check
Ball Handler/low turnovers - Check
Good shooter when OPEN - Check
Can create and get to the hoop AND finish - Check
Good defensive player - 1/2 check
Leader - Check

With the Jazz the PG rarely will need to 'get his shot off'. A comparison I thought of is our very own Mo Williams with leadership and a better passer which I don't think is a bad thing. Where we will draft we can't expect to walk into the next Rose, Paul, or DWill. There is a reason they went top 4. At the middle of the draft the chance to draft someone who may be an Allstar level player a few years but be a leader and distribute is what we need. Go YouTube his name and even watch his highlights from his freshman year..... Now times that by 3 and that's the progress he had made in 2 year.

If you remembered that shot, then you should also be able to remember what Burke tried to do before Beilein called the time out (which resulted in the step back 3pt shot). Burke was trying to shake off the PG with several dribble/drive but couldn't get it done, hence the time out.

Moreover, in that step back 3 pt shot, the middle was wide open, it was basically an invitation to drive down the middle for a floater or something, or draw a foul. Even the commentator was calling it a bad decision for that shot.

Anyway, I'm not saying he's slow. But he isn't lightning quick from a standing start situation. He is plenty quick in a fast break though, I did concede that in my previous post.

The gif is a semi-fast break example, but this is what Burke/michigan does - they push the tempo. I have to say I never thought Burke had issues with getting to the basket and finishing. I've seen so many games where he crosses over his defender, drives and scores- he's always in attack mode. In fact, I would say his above average speed and handle is a strength of his that gives him opportunities to finish at the rim rather than just being a shooter/distributer from outside like a lot of pg's.

Edit: no they weren't playing the Timberwolves, it was Northwestern

The one thing he doesn't have is a floater, but that is usually acquired over time. It is a must have nowadays, especially for short PGs. The shot above shot gets blocked in the NBA 9/10 times.

Don't get me wrong guys. I'm happy with us picking him around #18, I think he's good value there, and he'll be decent for us. To think that he'll be more than an average NBA player though would not be prudent at this point.

The one thing he doesn't have is a floater, but that is usually acquired over time. It is a must have nowadays, especially for short PGs. The shot above shot gets blocked in the NBA 9/10 times.

He has a floater he has been working on since the Chris Paul camp this past summer.

I still think Trey Burke is quicker than you are giving him credit for hotttnickkk. In the article of Jonathan Givony he states that Michigan runs one of the slowest if not the slowest tempo of offense in the country. I just wonder what he would do if they let Burke loose and let him try and drive to the basket more if he wouldn't beat his man more often than not. Also with that Ohio State game its the end of the game situation and they called timeout before the play, and gave a chance for the defense to setup and already the other team is going to play their best defense of the game on just that one play, plus Trey's legs probably weren't as fresh as the beginning parts of the game either. And I never said he was Chris Paul or else like you said, he would be a top 5 pick but I think Trey Burke will be better than Ty Lawson, Darren Collison, and Jameer Nelson, but slightly less than Chris Paul. That should be his goal and should pattern his game after is Chris Paul and could somewhat mimic that maybe not to its fullest but pretty close. For the position in the draft we would draft him at thats pretty good, especially since Jameer Nelson has been the starting point guard on a Magic team that went to the finals because he had a center in Dwight Howard, but we have Derrick Favors and it helps to have what the Magic never had another top 3 pick big man in Enes Kanter, so if we are sitting in the 17-20 range for our draft pick and he is there at 12-14 at the end of the lottery and we need to move up to get him, I hope the Jazz organization does. Or even better if the Jazz somewhat tank the season and still fight hard and make every game important but just miss the playoffs either the 9th or 10th in the West and be in the position to draft Burke without having to give anything up, because barring any trade for Pau Gasol and a better point guard the Jazz are a 1st round exit out if the playoffs, so why not miss the playoffs and let Al and Paul contracts expire or trade them for a good young 3rd big and some draft picks, since both of Al and Paul want to start.

I've been working on mine since the early 80's. Darft me!

It must be a thing of beauty after 30 years...kinda like your boy...
[video=youtube_share;WFvHfcZ5BgE]https://youtu.be/WFvHfcZ5BgE

Last edited:
I still think Trey Burke is quicker than you are giving him credit for hotttnickkk. In the article of Jonathan Givony he states that Michigan runs one of the slowest if not the slowest tempo of offense in the country. I just wonder what he would do if they let Burke loose and let him try and drive to the basket more if he wouldn't beat his man more often than not. Also with that Ohio State game its the end of the game situation and they called timeout before the play, and gave a chance for the defense to setup and already the other team is going to play their best defense of the game on just that one play, plus Trey's legs probably weren't as fresh as the beginning parts of the game either. And I never said he was Chris Paul or else like you said, he would be a top 5 pick but I think Trey Burke will be better than Ty Lawson, Darren Collison, and Jameer Nelson, but slightly less than Chris Paul. That should be his goal and should pattern his game after is Chris Paul and could somewhat mimic that maybe not to its fullest but pretty close. For the position in the draft we would draft him at thats pretty good, especially since Jameer Nelson has been the starting point guard on a Magic team that went to the finals because he had a center in Dwight Howard, but we have Derrick Favors and it helps to have what the Magic never had another top 3 pick big man in Enes Kanter, so if we are sitting in the 17-20 range for our draft pick and he is there at 12-14 at the end of the lottery and we need to move up to get him, I hope the Jazz organization does. Or even better if the Jazz somewhat tank the season and still fight hard and make every game important but just miss the playoffs either the 9th or 10th in the West and be in the position to draft Burke without having to give anything up, because barring any trade for Pau Gasol and a better point guard the Jazz are a 1st round exit out if the playoffs, so why not miss the playoffs and let Al and Paul contracts expire or trade them for a good young 3rd big and some draft picks, since both of Al and Paul want to start.

Whoaaaa is your 'ENTER' key broken, bro?