What's new

Can The Jazz Fix Wiggins?

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
With the new PoBO in Minnesota, it's rumored they may want to dump Wiggins. Due to his contract, it would be difficult to get assets for him outside of cap relief.

Utah can trade them Favors and Exum for Wiggins if they are simply OK with a deal that is mostly a salary dump.

If Utah did that deal, they could have 18.4 million (waiving everyone besides O'Neale and Niang) in cap-space pre-deal to a sign a free agent (they would have slightly less post-deal).

Jazz could use that space to re-sign Rubio or get a new player. There would be a lot of groans bringing Rubio back, but it is worth noting Wiggins last good year was with Rubio. Post Rubio trade is when Wiggins started diminishing.

Wiggins reputation isnt great. He's had two disappointing years after having his big 3rd season. He's neither a good shooter or good defender, but he's super long and athletic. He can create his own shot and still has potential. Can Utah return his career back to the star path he looked like he was on entering his 4th season?

Tough to fix the problems there imo... motivation, work ethic, etc are things development staff may not be able to fix sadly.

That’s too big of a bet to make... that feels like a Sacramento Kings move but they likely prefer Barnes.

Historically speaking the Jazz trades with MIN have't worked out well for Utah.

While Big Al and Rubio are fine players doing better in Utah then they had in MIN I think most fans feel like MIN came out ahead in those deals. However how about sending Rubio back to MIN in a sign and trade as part of the deal and somehow figuring a way to keep Favors but not sure how that would be possible.

The only way I see a deal for Wiggins as even remotely intriguing for the Jazz is if MIN viewed it as a salary dump type of trade.

Last edited:
Historically speaking the Jazz trades with MIN have't worked out will for Utah.

While Big Al and Rubio are fine players doing better in Utah then they had in MIN I think most fans feel like MIN came out ahead in those deals. However how about sending Rubio back to MIN in a sign and trade as part of the deal and somehow figuring a way to keep Favors but not sure how that would be possible.

The only way I see a deal for Wiggins as even remotely intriguing for the Jazz is if MIN viewed it as a salary dump type of trade.

I think they would be quite lucky to find a salary dump type deal for him. His rep is soft, doesn't work, low bball IQ, and just general care factor... those things don't generally improve when you give a guy $120M... just doesn't seem to be much fight there.

Historically speaking the Jazz trades with MIN have't worked out will for Utah.

You forgot the worst (and first) one of all...

It's an idea worth discussing. On offense, if Wiggins plays at the 4 and spaces the floor a la Harrison Barnes, he can be an effective player. He can hit 3s and attack close outs with straight-line drives all the way to the rim. Wiggins is a soft defender who doesn't rebound, so that's a problem. Can the Jazz get him to work harder, or is he now too complacent with his big salary?

Even if the Jazz succeed in working Wiggins into the system, I don't think he's worth the money. We can find other players to play that role without killing our capspace.

The Jazz are way too conservative to consider taking a risk on a player like Wiggins IMO, especially with his huge contract.

It's an idea worth discussing. On offense, if Wiggins plays at the 4 and spaces the floor a la Harrison Barnes, he can be an effective player. He can hit 3s and attack close outs with straight-line drives all the way to the rim. Wiggins is a soft defender who doesn't rebound, so that's a problem. Can the Jazz get him to work harder, or is he now too complacent with his big salary?

Even if the Jazz succeed in working Wiggins into the system, I don't think he's worth the money. We can find other players to play that role without killing our capspace.
He isnt a 4 and he doesnt need to be a 4 to be effective on offense..

And he averaged 5 per game as a 2/3 who plays with two true bigs. Whats the problem with his rebounding?

You forgot the worst (and first) one of all...

No I didn't "forget" I intentionally left him out because his coaching may cloud peoples judgement and I didn't want to derail Cy's topic of this thread.

For the record I didn't understand the trade but I was young at that time and didn't know if Big T was declining or had other issues the Jazz wanted to move (like contract) on from.

I actually thought about this possibility a little bit over the past few months.

I wouldn't hate it.

I honestly think that there is a solid chance that Wiggins could be a good player if he could ever get out of Minnesota and ends up in the right situation for him. He needs a change of scenery. He's got all of the tools to be good. He just needs a coach who is player friendly to unlock those tools. Quin Snyder is a coach who listens to input from his players. It *could* work.

I think that playing for a disciplinarian like Thibodeau screwed Wiggins up. I don't think that he responds well to that style of coaching. That Minnesota locker room has had some toxicity too while he's been there.

If I was the Jazz he wouldn't be at the top of my list of targets. But if the top options fail then it should be considered imo. It's risky but the Jazz are going to have to take risks. Gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Nope nope and nope. Poor shooter. Terrible efficiency. Poor defender. Weak as piss, lazy softcock. Not to mention the contract.
This. Why is this or any jabari talk even a thing? The goal is to get better, not worse. Or are these secret tank ideas.