What's new

Chad Ford: Exum > Burke right now; rookie player that's most positively surprising

Let me get the crayons out and draw you a picture. Sometimes GMs tell their coaches either to play/not play a player that is likely to be involved in a trade in the near future. WHEN THIS HAPPENS, THAT IS TRADE VALUE AFFECTING THE WAY A COACH USES A PLAYER. Have you seriously never heard of a player being benched in anticipation of a trade, so as to avoid having an injury ruin it. Happens all the time(lots of records and info on past trades, use google if you know how), but I suppose you think it's reasonable to assume that when GMs have a trade in the works, they just cross their ****ing fingers and hope the coach can read their minds.
-
Rebuilding teams operate differently than teams that are a piece or two from contending. Obviously when every win counts, GMs aren't likely to tell a coach who to play, but on a rebuilding team that spent 2 1st rounders on a player who's only been in the league a year, you can bet your *** that the FO isn't going to concede failure by allowing him to be relegated to the bench, at least not anytime soon.

And GM's ARE influenced by seeing a guy play instead of just looking at the stat sheets. Certainly Ronnie Price going off against Utah was a factor in him being offered a contract by the Jazz. The highest minutes played and points scored were in two of the games against Utah. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Novak suddenly get more minutes in late January and February against various playoff contenders.

As for Burke, I agree with freak...much too early to write him off and there is no drawback to not starting him. Quin has already cut his minutes some and given more to Exum. Jazz are thin at PG. Unless a deal really blew them away at the deadline, I don't see Utah doing anything. I know it's still early, but I see Trey kind of bouncing around the league like Earl Watson did: a low-end starter until a team finds a better option or a decent backup if/when he eventually accepts that role.

Burke played well in preseason and I think he will play better as the season goes on. He seems like he is afraid of Exum behind him or is just frustrated with his poor play early. I think he will break out of this and and really step up and play like he did at times last year while hitting a better percentage of his shots.

That said he is not a starter in the NBA, but neither is Exum yet. I think Burke needs to start for now and if he is struggling and playing poor then Exum finishes games and gets more minutes. If he is not improved by the trade deadline then maybe you swap their roles. If he plays better and a good trade comes along great. If he plays much better and starts being the leader on the court this team wants him to be then we hold on to him until Exum is ready to be the leader or learn to play them together more.

This is an interesting post that almost got lost in the jimmyeatjazz-and-freakazoid-need-to-hug-it-out.

I think you may be right that Burke is getting himself into some cycle of self doubt because Exum is behind him, and frankly, that's one of my least favorite things about Trey - his mindset. If we can recall back to when he was coming in last year, in the course of a week he: 1) went on a radio show with Sullinger where they laughed at the thought of Sullinger coming to Utah, 2) stated at his press conference that he saw himself as an All Star, 3) said ad nausea throughout the year that he was bringing leadership the Jazz needed to the team, etc, etc. In every interview - including the one last night - he speaks so highly of himself and seems unwilling to acknowledge, at least publicly, his struggles. "I feel like I'm getting a lot better on defense." "I feel like the team really listens to me as a leader now" blah blah blah.

You compare that with Hayward, or Stockton, or Malone, or LeBron, or KD and there's a stark difference - all of those guys talk about their shortcomings and their responsibility. Even after saving the game last night, Hayward was talking about how if he was more aggressive and hitting shots earlier it never would have come to that.

Trey has an impressive ego on him which is masking a lot of his own self-doubts. Quite frankly, it appears to be a fragile psychological profile. They've got to bolster him somehow soon, or he's going to go the way of Biedrin's freethrows.

This is an interesting post that almost got lost in the jimmyeatjazz-and-freakazoid-need-to-hug-it-out.

I think you may be right that Burke is getting himself into some cycle of self doubt because Exum is behind him, and frankly, that's one of my least favorite things about Trey - his mindset. If we can recall back to when he was coming in last year, in the course of a week he: 1) went on a radio show with Sullinger where they laughed at the thought of Sullinger coming to Utah, 2) stated at his press conference that he saw himself as an All Star, 3) said ad nausea throughout the year that he was bringing leadership the Jazz needed to the team, etc, etc. In every interview - including the one last night - he speaks so highly of himself and seems unwilling to acknowledge, at least publicly, his struggles. "I feel like I'm getting a lot better on defense." "I feel like the team really listens to me as a leader now" blah blah blah.

You compare that with Hayward, or Stockton, or Malone, or LeBron, or KD and there's a stark difference - all of those guys talk about their shortcomings and their responsibility. Even after saving the game last night, Hayward was talking about how if he was more aggressive and hitting shots earlier it never would have come to that.

Trey has an impressive ego on him which is masking a lot of his own self-doubts. Quite frankly, it appears to be a fragile psychological profile. They've got to bolster him somehow soon, or he's going to go the way of Biedrin's freethrows.
Between his comments and his, ummm, overexposure, I think Trey's days in SLC are numbered.

Between his comments and his, ummm, overexposure, I think Trey's days in SLC are numbered.

I'll be pissed if we part ways with Trey because of the pictures. The entire country was in an uproar when the photos of all those Hollywood actresses were leaked. For that to be branded as an attack on women (which it was) by the media, on one hand, and then a month later having a male basketball star forced to apologize to the public for what appears to be a similar violation of his privacy is a ridiculous double standard in our society.

I'm still not happy with the Millers for insisting on that, even if it is a team in Utah.

We should part ways with him because he isn't the best point guard on our roster and wouldn't be happy in a bench role. But not because of the pictures.

I still believe in Burke.

I do too, but only as a solid starter at this point. He has yet to show me that he has a single elite skill that you need to shine in the NBA.

Exum has already shown me several: Good length for the position, Quickness, Elite court vision.

I'll be pissed if we part ways with Trey because of the pictures. The entire country was in an uproar when the photos of all those Hollywood actresses were leaked. For that to be branded as an attack on women (which it was) by the media, on one hand, and then a month later having a male basketball star forced to apologize to the public for what appears to be a similar violation of his privacy is a ridiculous double standard in our society.

I'm still not happy with the Millers for insisting on that, even if it is a team in Utah.

We should part ways with him because he isn't the best point guard on our roster and wouldn't be happy in a bench role. But not because of the pictures.

Yes, that's the primary reason. But his character also plays a part. From the nude pics to making fun of that guy on Twitter: it all adds up.

I do too, but only as a solid starter at this point. He has yet to show me that he has a single elite skill that you need to shine in the NBA.

Exum has already shown me several: Good length for the position, Quickness, Elite court vision.

Size/length isn't a skill, it's an attribute.

I wonder who Lindsey would have picked if Corbin wasn't the coach at the time????

Rumor had it the Jazz were targeting a big but they knew he'd be gone at #12. I'm guessing Olynyk, but it could have been Adams. At worst (staying put), maybe Lindsey would have taken Schroder early and Gobert early. Jazz would have saved some cash and had a better PG.

Rumor had it the Jazz were targeting a big but they knew he'd be gone at #12. I'm guessing Olynyk, but it could have been Adams. At worst (staying put), maybe Lindsey would have taken Schroder early and Gobert early. Jazz would have saved some cash and had a better PG.

coulda went after Ray McCallum or Archie Goodwin late too. Pierre Jackson had a terrible injury, I hope he can bounce back to full strength, but he was a damn good prospect either way, I never thought Trey was all that much better than him tbh. Never believed the Nate Wolters hype, I wasnt the biggest Cannan fan but he looks pretty good nowadays, I soured on Larkin later in the process, too small, Schroder just annihilated him 2 games in a row.

Raul Neto was an abomination of a 2nd round pick... he cant shoot. they could've taken Seth Curry or better yet... Matthew Dellavedova.. There were PG's to be had.