What's new

Chad Ford: Exum > Burke right now; rookie player that's most positively surprising

lol. ford really is an idiot. burke's problem is he is hesitant to lead this offense and he needs to keep forcing the issue and keep building the pick and roll chemistry with favors. burke cares about TOs too much. gotta loosen up and play hoop.

From a non-statistical standpoint I prefer 'easing' Exum into the League the way we're doing it right now. He will be getting better and eventually will knock out Trey out of the lineup (his potential is A-ish), but it must be done at the right time. Why cause an unnecessary turmoil in the locker room when all of our players are developing at a quick rate and no one's complaining about anything right now.

I also think there's a trade value issue to consider. Demote Burke and he loses value. Put him on the block because coaches and GM's around the league see that Exum simply can't be kept on the bench is a completely different story. DL starts calling around at the deadline saying "we love Trey, but we can't keep Dante down any longer." Teams are more likely to consider trades heading into February, as playoff positioning starts to come into focus and injuries may influence decisions.

lol typical 180 from the armchairs.

What reason do we have to trade Burke right now? Exum isn't ready to start, and Burke's value is low.

And lets please deal with facts, not conjecture, as you're prone to do from time to time.

Will Burke's value be higher when it is clear that he should be Dante's backup?

Exum would be an upgrade defensively in the starting lineup right now and we have looked pretty good with him on the court.

If someone makes us a decent offer for Burke I think we should take it.

Edit: To be fair though I've never been a big Trey fan. I hate that ****in billy idol smirk he gets.

This thread reeks of veteran hate, and Tray isn't even a veteran yet. Keep boiling the hate down boys. 6 games is all that matters.

It's not veteran hate. The big question is what to do with Burke if Exum is everything youd expect as the 5th pick in a top heavy draft. He's flashed brilliance. Trey to me is steady, but ultimately unspectacular. If Exum starting gives this team an edge. . . I hope he starts. I personally think that they should keep both as long as possible. I think Quin can handle the personalities and egos if both are on the roster. Dante can play off the bench for now, but I think he surpasses Trey at some point this season. When that happens, I hope they either trade Burke for value, or have him come in off the bench.

It's not veteran hate. The big question is what to do with Burke if Exum is everything youd expect as the 5th pick in a top heavy draft. He's flashed brilliance. Trey to me is steady, but ultimately unspectacular. If Exum starting gives this team an edge. . . I hope he starts. I personally think that they should keep both as long as possible. I think Quin can handle the personalities and egos if both are on the roster. Dante can play off the bench for now, but I think he surpasses Trey at some point this season. When that happens, I hope they either trade Burke for value, or have him come in off the bench.

Burke has an ego???

What reason do we have to trade Burke right now? .

None. However, if Utah exceeds expectations by Dec., and Exum continues to improve, then I think you have to at least consider looking for a trade to improve the team, and I consider Trey, Kanter and pick/s to be the most likely assets to be moved.
-
I do believe it's more likely that we'll struggle, in which case there's no hurry to trade Burke this year.

Disagree with everything, except keeping Burke for now. Utah should continue starting Burke, until they find a decent offer, but they should definitely be shopping him. Keeping him as a backup is a great way to chop his trade value and create a malcontent in the locker room. Trade value has more to do with than just stats. As soon as you move him to the bench, you lose leverage in negotiating trade value, no matter what kind of numbers he puts up against other backups. Also, teams take into consideration the fact that backup stats come against backup players. Even so, I'd consider keeping him as a backup if I believed it wouldn't create tension among the team, but I don't.

You are assuming that the other GM's are idiots. If Burke is on the market it is because we believe Exum is better right now. The actual act of starting him over Burke in reality is immaterial. That is baked into the cake unless you figure that another team wanted to trade for Burke without knowing anything about him. The best deal we will get for Burke would be a team looking for a stopgap starter that could slide into a reserve role at some point, exactly the way we were using him. Those teams would probably be VERY interested in how he did against bench players. Nobody will be trading for him as their savior at point.

why can we just have both? it's good to have 2 capable PGs. exum can play with trey too. i think exum should start over burks eventually. IMO, burks is a classic 6th man type. burks needs to be our jamal crawford.

I do believe that Exum is definitely the eventual replacement at starting PG; I also think that, overall, he is better now. However, I don't believe that Burke's trade value is very high at all. As others have said, the best thing may be to keep him on the team and just demote him to backup. If he responds well, then great. If not, then you deal with it then.

I also think there's a trade value issue to consider. Demote Burke and he loses value. Put him on the block because coaches and GM's around the league see that Exum simply can't be kept on the bench is a completely different story. DL starts calling around at the deadline saying "we love Trey, but we can't keep Dante down any longer." Teams are more likely to consider trades heading into February, as playoff positioning starts to come into focus and injuries may influence decisions.

Giving players minutes over better players (or players who contribute more to wins) because otherwise it might hurt their trade value is one of the worst reasons to give someone minutes they don't deserve. Frankly, I'd be hard pressed to believe than any coach consciously considers this in doling out playing time. They've too much to lose by not playing their best players, including their jobs. This is something for GMs to worry about, not coaches.

why can we just have both? it's good to have 2 capable PGs. exum can play with trey too. i think exum should start over burks eventually. IMO, burks is a classic 6th man type. burks needs to be our jamal crawford.
Still to be determined. It was talked about and tried in SL but didn't work. Haven't really seen it now that the regular season is upon us. Is Exum at SG an upgrade over Alec or Hood? I think either of those two is likely just as good as playing Dante out of position. Where Dante can give Utah the most leverage is at PG. He's much bigger than other PG's and can dominate (eventually). Exum/Burks is going to be much better than a Burke/Exum backcourt.

Giving players minutes over better players (or players who contribute more to wins) because otherwise it might hurt their trade value is one of the worst reasons to give someone minutes they don't deserve. Frankly, I'd be hard pressed to believe than any coach consciously considers this in doling out playing time. They've too much to lose by not playing their best players, including their jobs. This is something for GMs to worry about, not coaches.

So some players are never "showcased" for a trade? That happens all the time.

For most players, yes, but for players who potentially have more value in a trade than in keeping, of course trade value factors in at times to the way coaches play them. This is especially true for a rebuilding team. Sounds like you think there is no communication between coach and GM, once the coach is hired. Realistically, of course GMs tell the coaches what to do at times, when it comes to giving playing time to someone they are looking to move.

Chad Ford must not have followed Exum prior to this season. Scouts claimed Exum has a 1st step comparable to Kobe... he was said to move the ball up the court quickly, great reach, etc.

His main bash was he didn't play against talented players.

Exum needs to begin receiving some of Burke's minutes; it's only a matter of time before Exum starts over Burke.

Chad Ford must not have followed Exum prior to this season. Scouts claimed Exum has a 1st step comparable to Kobe... he was said to move the ball up the court quickly, great reach, etc.

Exum needs to begin receiving some of Burke's minutes; it's only a matter of time before Exum starts over Burke.

Like Sunday at Detroit?
Play Exum 35 mins and reduce Burke to 13. Better yet, where is Diante?
Does ANYONE still want to defend Burke's shooting? Oh wait...2-7 from 3PT range actually INCREASES his percentage. Never mind.

Chad Ford was the one who threw Kobe's name first as a comparison for Exum...